Attention, African Union: - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Factory Issue

Attention, African Union:

If you want to fix sub-Saharan Africa, please start with Zimbabwe.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25470052/

Zimbabwe to Western critics: 'Go hang'
Mugabe rejects coalition government with rival as pressure intensifies

MSNBC News Services
updated 6:09 p.m. CT, Tues., July. 1, 2008

SHARM EL-SHEIKH, Egypt - African efforts to encourage a deal between Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe and his opponents showed no results Tuesday, while Mugabe's spokesman defiantly said his boss has no plans to step down and told Western critics they can "go hang."

Zimbabwe's opposition also dampened hopes a coalition government might be negotiated, saying Mugabe had shut the door on talks by going ahead with last week's presidential runoff election that he won after a campaign tainted by brutal attacks on his political foes.

Some leaders at the African Union summit here had harsh words for Mugabe, producing sharp exchanges during closed-door meetings, participants said.

Vice President Mompati Merafhe of Botswana said Mugabe's government should not be recognized and Zimbabwe should be barred from AU gatherings. "The outcome of these elections does not confer legitimacy on the government of President Mugabe," Merafhe said, according to a statement released by his aides.

Officials from Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone also criticized Mugabe, and Zimbabwe's leader responded, said Ismail Ndiye, a delegate from Senegal who was at the session.

"He had a lot to say," Ndiye said, but declined to give any details. An Egyptian Foreign Ministry spokesman, Hossam Zaki, said Mugabe spoke for a half hour and lashed out at some African countries who spoke out against him.

African nations divided
Mugabe's African peers are trying to persuade the 84-year-old leader to loosen his grip and share power with his top rival, Morgan Tsvangirai, who got the most votes among the four candidates who competed in the opening round of the presidential election March 29. Tsvangirai dropped out of the runoff with Mugabe because of killings and beatings of his supporters.

African nations are deeply divided, with many reluctant to put public pressure on Mugabe despite U.N. and Western calls for tough action.

On the final day of their summit Tuesday, AU leaders adopted a resolution calling for dialogue in Zimbabwe while not directly criticizing Mugabe or the runoff. The leaders said they were "deeply concerned" about the situation but their only promised action would be to support "the will" for a unity government.

Mugabe's spokesman, George Charamba, took a defiant tone, saying that while Zimbabwe's ruling party has offered dialogue with the opposition, it will not promise that anything "beyond that will emerge."

He insisted Mugabe who was sworn in for his sixth term Sunday, a day before flying to the summit would not give up the presidency.

"He's a few days into office and you expect him to retire, do you?" Charamba told reporters. "He has come here as president of Zimbabwe and he will go home as president of Zimbabwe, and when you visit Zimbabwe he will be there as the president of all the people of Zimbabwe."

Zimbabwe to West: 'Go hang'
Charamba dismissed growing criticism from Western governments, which are urging Africans to reject Zimbabwe's election and calling for U.N. sanctions. "They can go hang. They can go and hang a thousand times," Charamba said.

In Zimbabwe, the opposition Movement for Democratic Change also took a hard line. In a statement issued in the capital, Tendai Biti, a top MDC leader, dismissed speculation that his party and Mugabe's ZANU-PF were about to conclude an agreement to govern together.

"Nothing can be as malicious and as further from the truth," Biti said. "As a matter of fact, there are no talks or discussions taking place between the two parties and most importantly, there is no agreement in the offering."

At least some in the MDC were demanding that Mugabe leave office. "They lost the election. They must go," said a Biti aide, Nqobizitha Mlilo.

Many African leaders, including President Thabo Mbeki of South Africa, are unwilling to openly criticize Mugabe, who took power at Zimbabwe's independence in 1980 after leading the fight against white rule. They also don't want to be seen as backing former colonial rulers and others in the West against a fellow African.

Governing through violence
In Harare, Zimbabwe's capital, Tsvangirai left the Dutch Embassy on Tuesday after taking refuge there for nine days since announcing his withdrawal from the runoff.

But MDC spokesman Nqobizitha Mlilo said there were fears in Zimbabwe that opposition supporters and rights activists would now be subjected to a new crackdown because turnout for the presidential runoff was low.

"The only way they can continue to govern is through violence," he said of Mugabe's party.

The activist group Human Rights Watch says Mugabe supporters beat people who couldn't prove they voted, and four white farmers were reported hospitalized after being attacked by Mugabe loyalists Sunday. White farmers have often been targeted by Mugabe militants.

Humanitarian groups, meanwhile, warned that millions of Zimbabweans are at risk of hunger if the government does not lift its ban on aid agencies working in the country. The groups say the government has been funneling food aid mostly to Mugabe supporters since imposing the ban June 5.

The government has accused independent aid groups of supporting the opposition, a charge that the groups deny.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mugabe loses source of bank note paper
Move comes at request of German government and European Union

The Associated Press
updated 6:12 p.m. CT, Tues., July. 1, 2008

FRANKFURT, Germany - A German company that has been supplying paper used by Zimbabwe's central bank to print bank notes said Tuesday it is stopping shipments immediately at the request of Germany's government.

The move could be a new problem for the regime of President Robert Mugabe, which has been churning out currency amid skyrocketing inflation that forces Zimbabweans to shop with bundles of cash. A pint of milk can cost 3 billion Zimbabwe dollars, or about 30 U.S. cents.

Giesecke & Devrient GmbH of Munich said it would stop delivering bank note paper to the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe "with immediate effect." It said the decision came in response to an official request from the German government and calls for international sanctions by the European Union and United Nations.

"Our decision is a reaction to the political tension in Zimbabwe, which is mounting significantly rather than easing as expected, and takes account of the critical evaluation by the international community, German government and general public," chief executive Karsten Ottenberg said in a statement.

Zimbabwe's currency needs have spiraled upward as a shattered economy spurs overheated inflation.

Prices rose 165,000 percent in February, according to government figures, but independent experts say the real inflation rate is closer to 4 million percent.

Mugabe, who was sworn in as president for a sixth term Sunday after a widely discredited runoff election, was once hailed for leading Zimbabwe's independence fight. But he has grown increasingly unpopular for land seizures and other economic policies that wrecked the country's once-vibrant agriculture sector.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Suck it, Rhodesia.

Give me a dollar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 03:48 AM
Out

Nobody is going to do anything about it because they don't matter. Don't get pissed at me, I'm just telling it like it is.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Nobody is going to do anything about it because they don't matter. Don't get pissed at me, I'm just telling it like it is.
I'm not mad at anybody, except of course Mugabe. I just think Zimbabwe is a prime example of the West's fixation with aid to Africa outweighing Africa's need for meaningful agricultural reform. Zimbabwe was poised to be an agricultural powerhouse, and instead relied on monetary aid when it could have asked for agricultural expertise. You don't like the fact that a few rich whites own 2/3's of your country? Fine, but don't remove them to hand out land to your vassals like the spoils of war, in the style of the finest Medieval European despots, when they know nothing of farming.

Give me a dollar.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 04:13 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeabeer
I'm not mad at anybody, except of course Mugabe. I just think Zimbabwe is a prime example of the West's fixation with aid to Africa outweighing Africa's need for meaningful agricultural reform. Zimbabwe was poised to be an agricultural powerhouse, and instead relied on monetary aid when it could have asked for agricultural expertise. You don't like the fact that a few rich whites own 2/3's of your country? Fine, but don't remove them to hand out land to your vassals like the spoils of war, in the style of the finest Medieval European despots, when they know nothing of farming.
Right. Too many are so focused on giving them the fish, rather than teaching them how to fish. If you look at who really leads those efforts, it's the "hey, look at me, I'm saving people" crowd. We'd be made out to be monsters if we went in to rid Mugabe and get some order, maybe even a close-to-legitimate election out there. Same reason we're not doing shit about Darfur. Look at us in Iraq, we're the evilness that occupies the mother land. And people don't understand why we don't just drop everything and run to help.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Factory Issue

Quote:
Right. Too many are so focused on giving them the fish, rather than teaching them how to fish. If you look at who really leads those efforts, it's the "hey, look at me, I'm saving people" crowd. We'd be made out to be monsters if we went in to rid Mugabe and get some order, maybe even a close-to-legitimate election out there. Same reason we're not doing shit about Darfur. Look at us in Iraq, we're the evilness that occupies the mother land. And people don't understand why we don't just drop everything and run to help.
Oh, and you can't tell me that people weren't clamouring for us to invade Iraq all through the '90's. A lot of the folks that talked shit about Saddam until 2003 caught a stiff case of vaginitis once we were ready to go in there. It'd be the same thing. "Why aren't you helping?" is followed too closely by, "You're doing that wrong, but I don't know how to do it right," in the court of public opinion.

Give me a dollar.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 04:23 AM
Out

See, and that's just it. too many people only view from hindsight. Good or bad, we make decisions. Fuck 'em if they can't handle it. It's our job.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Factory Issue

Quote:
See, and that's just it. too many people only view from hindsight. Good or bad, we make decisions. Fuck 'em if they can't handle it. It's our job.
LMAO, that brings to mind my most coon-ass uncle's favorite line when facing criticism: "Now that's where you're wrong. I happen to know some stuff." Imagine a super cajun with the biggest shit eating grin delivering that line. Priceless!

Give me a dollar.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Worship me

This just in:

Nobody gives a shit about Africa
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 03:19 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
This just in:

Nobody gives a shit about Africa
Except for Blacks in America, after all, it's the motherland.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
Ya, I see them out there, rushing to save that pile of sand. LMFAO!

Remember the 80's fad when they would wear those African symbols, made out of leather around their neck? For some reason, that really bothered me. I knew what was to come of the future.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Token Union Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt

LOL how many African Americans do you think make the pilgrimage to visit the motherland (cough aids infested shit hole cough) each year.

TRAIN TRASH it's like WHITE TRASH but with money.

My other vehicle is a Locomotive.

Don't cupple up without protection.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:10 PM
IA2

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 03:51 AM
The Janitor

Quote:
Ya, I see them out there, rushing to save that pile of sand. LMFAO!

Remember the 80's fad when they would wear those African symbols, made out of leather around their neck? For some reason, that really bothered me. I knew what was to come of the future.

You cant be too critical. I'm proud of my irish roots, and wear celtic crosses quite often.

Just a thought.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 03:54 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell
You cant be too critical. I'm proud of my irish roots, and wear celtic crosses quite often.

Just a thought.
There's a difference and you know it.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Hustlin'

You guys see blood diamonds?

"Jesus has my heart, but Whiskey has my liver" --Jason Boland
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Factory Issue

I saw it when it came out, why?

Give me a dollar.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Hustlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeabeer
I saw it when it came out, why?
TIA!

"Jesus has my heart, but Whiskey has my liver" --Jason Boland
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ
TIA!
HAHAHAHA! I was thinking that when I was originally reading the articles, fo sho!

Give me a dollar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement