With the fall of society as we know it... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Out

Wink With the fall of society as we know it...

I invite anyone of decent intelligence to pick up a short book, called "The Virtues of Selfishness" by Ayn Rand. It's a short, 167, page collection of essays that shows self-interest to be the ultimate key to happiness. Not just in a "fuck the rest of the world" attitude, but more of a "looking out for my own interest is a moral, if not primary obligation to myself." I know this goes against "I'm my brother's keeper" deal, but not totally. Look at my situation for a second. I am the sole supporter for my family. If I don't look out for what's best for Numero Uno, it could jeapordize the entire family. There is some fucked up logic in there as well, but just to put an entire society like that down on paper, you would figure Darwin's natural selection would be in full-boost and we'd weed (I said weed twice) out the shitheads that are currently bringing us down. Charity could still happen because, like I said earlier, it's people's choice. Charity would probably be more plentiful since we're not so bitter about our tax dollars paying for Pedro's stiches and three baby deliveries or Sha Nay Nay's welfare check or even Billy Bob Joe's Worker's Compensation claim.

I challenge some of you to read it, think about it and post back up. I'm sure some have already read it and I'd like to hear your input as well.

Last edited by Denny; 07-01-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:44 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

If you want a good (in the most bleak sense of the term) post-collapse read go read The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:44 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
I invite anyone of decent intelligence to pick up a short book, called "The Virtues of Shelfishness" by Ayn Rand.
Cool I'll have to read it since I absolutely love shrimp and lobster.

Rand's other book, "The Virtues of Selfishness", is good as well.

I wish more people would read "Atlas Shrugged."

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Cool I'll have to read it since I absolutely love shrimp and lobster.

Rand's other book, "The Virtues of Selfishness", is good as well.

I wish more people would read "Atlas Shrugged."
dammit...

"Atlas Shrugged" is next for me.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:50 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
dammit...

Great book. A novel with a great set of lessons in it. Even with over 1000 pages you'll get through it in a few nights as it is very entertaining. Unfortunately the people in America that really need to read it probably cannot read.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Out

Quote:
Great book. A novel with a great set of lessons in it. Even with over 1000 pages you'll get through it in a few nights as it is very entertaining. Unfortunately the people in America that really need to read it probably cannot read.
It might take me longer than you think, with my 6th grade reading level and all... ya, I said it.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:55 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
I was going to start on Audie Murphy's autobiography (To Hell and Back) tonight. Do I need to change my plans?

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:56 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
It might take me longer than you think, with my 6th grade reading level and all... ya, I said it.
It's probably written at that level. Break out the Websters and have at it. Knowing you you won't put it down until you pass out reading. I've read it a few times now.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Out

Quote:
It's probably written at that level. Break out the Websters and have at it. Knowing you you won't put it down until you pass out reading. I've read it a few times now.
LOL... sounds like a plan!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 02:28 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Dammit. All these books, so little time. I've still got to get through the essentials: This Book Will Get You Laid, The Mystery Method, and The Game. Then there's Palahniuk's Choke and Bruce Campbell's autobiography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
Dammit. All these books, so little time. I've still got to get through the essentials: This Book Will Get You Laid, The Mystery Method, and The Game. Then there's Palahniuk's Choke and Bruce Campbell's autobiography.
Barnes and Noble will survive the downhill spiral.....

71 Camaro 355sbc 6.472 @ 104mph/10.311 @ 128
Powered by: Tripp Motorsports E85 carburetor

NHRA Super Street-4040
IHRA Hot Rod-404
NHRA ET-404M
IHRA SSS-4X4M

How am I supposed to get my own T-Shirt with all those different numbers?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
I invite anyone of decent intelligence to pick up a short book, called "The Virtues of Selfishness" by Ayn Rand. It's a short, 167, page collection of essays that shows self-interest to be the ultimate key to happiness. Not just in a "fuck the rest of the world" attitude, but more of a "looking out for my own interest is a moral, if not primary obligation to myself." I know this goes against "I'm my brother's keeper" deal, but not totally. Look at my situation for a second. I am the sole supporter for my family. If I don't look out for what's best for Numero Uno, it could jeapordize the entire family. There is some fucked up logic in there as well, but just to put an entire society like that down on paper, you would figure Darwin's natural selection would be in full-boost and we'd weed (I said weed twice) out the shitheads that are currently bringing us down. Charity could still happen because, like I said earlier, it's people's choice. Charity would probably be more plentiful since we're not so bitter about our tax dollars paying for Pedro's stiches and three baby deliveries or Sha Nay Nay's welfare check or even Billy Bob Joe's Worker's Compensation claim.

I challenge some of you to read it, think about it and post back up. I'm sure some have already read it and I'd like to hear your input as well.
Strange that you would find inspiration from it, as her stance on morals was completely atheistic and self-centered, derived from base instincts through evolution. But that is beside the point, glad to see you giving objectivism a look-see.

Steve Ditko, who created The Amazing Spider-Man, was very much a Randite and let his philosophy show through in much of his work. He was also the driving force behind Dr. Strange, and he originated the artwork and basic genesis storylines for The Hulk and Iron Man. After leaving Marvel he created some philosophical storylines around new characters, like Killjoy, The Question and Mr A. Worth looking into to see how others view her philosophy and put it into a comic book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._A
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Question_%28comics%29
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
dammit...

You can tell us how much it sucks as a novel when you are done
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Custom User Title

Denny I can not disagree if you are the provider for your family in the end you have to do what you have to do to provide for your family. Most parents in the world will do the same not all but I believe most would. I think what has always separated us being Americans and other countries in the past was the freedom to learn about anything we wanted to which would produce kind helpful individuals this is me thinking out load but for the most part people who are not to smart or don't have much of a future(not just talking about financially) tend to be more aggressive they tend to only care about today and not what will happened ten years from now. So I don't call you caring for your family selfishness but not allowing your kids to learn and study about other point of views that could be called selfishness. I figure if you are right then if your kids read about another point of view in the end they will make the right decision.

Hell what do I know I am probably the dumbest person on this site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
I'd fuck her and confess my love while using my wife as the mattress.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercobra03
Denny I can not disagree if you are the provider for your family in the end you have to do what you have to do to provide for your family. Most parents in the world will do the same not all but I believe most would. I think what has always separated us being Americans and other countries in the past was the freedom to learn about anything we wanted to which would produce kind helpful individuals this is me thinking out load but for the most part people who are not to smart or don't have much of a future(not just talking about financially) tend to be more aggressive they tend to only care about today and not what will happened ten years from now. So I don't call you caring for your family selfishness but not allowing your kids to learn and study about other point of views that could be called selfishness. I figure if you are right then if your kids read about another point of view in the end they will make the right decision.

Hell what do I know I am probably the dumbest person on this site
But you see, me looking out for my best interests IS contributing to the assurance that my family's needs are met. First comes myself. Without that, I can not meet the needs of my family. This selfishness isn't the same as the casual term. There's an example in the book about a woman who needs to make a decision whether to buy a new hat or feed her baby. THAT is a different selfishness.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Strange that you would find inspiration from it, as her stance on morals was completely atheistic and self-centered, derived from base instincts through evolution. But that is beside the point, glad to see you giving objectivism a look-see.

Steve Ditko, who created The Amazing Spider-Man, was very much a Randite and let his philosophy show through in much of his work. He was also the driving force behind Dr. Strange, and he originated the artwork and basic genesis storylines for The Hulk and Iron Man. After leaving Marvel he created some philosophical storylines around new characters, like Killjoy, The Question and Mr A. Worth looking into to see how others view her philosophy and put it into a comic book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._A
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Question_%28comics%29
You should know that I have one of the most opens minds out there, Scott. Even for a sheepish Christian, like myself.

Even though I can see her point and I can utilize her thinking to achieve a goal that isn't so self-centered, but it's what I want for not only my family and loved ones, but for myself most of all. There's self-gratification to be found, still.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 10:24 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

What if that new hat will keep her from getting skin cancer, thus allowing her to continue to choose not feeding her baby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Custom User Title

Quote:
But you see, me looking out for my best interests IS contributing to the assurance that my family's needs are met. First comes myself. Without that, I can not meet the needs of my family. This selfishness isn't the same as the casual term. There's an example in the book about a woman who needs to make a decision whether to buy a new hat or feed her baby. THAT is a different selfishness.

I see that makes sense for instance if you have two kids and a person murders one of them now of course you want to kill that person but you have another kid that needs you so can't. If you go after that person and kill him/her that would be selfish on your part it might help you pain but it would take you away from your other kid. I will guess it will always depend on the situation. Ex. if you were given a choice to live or your children will live what would you pick? I believe you would pick you would die correct so in this case you do not come first. I guess with everything it depends on the situation. The book sounds interesting I might pick it up.

Quote:
You should know that I have one of the most opens minds out there, Scott. Even for a sheepish Christian, like myself.

lol you are easy to talk to I feel I am a very open minded person myself

Quote:
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Out

If I am ever in a situation where it's my life or my childrens' live, of course I would choose for them to live. But also look at it this way. I was put into a position to show them just how much I love them, so I took it. See there's always selfishness to anything. Especially when you know where you're ending up.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Custom User Title

Quote:
If I am ever in a situation where it's my life or my childrens' live, of course I would choose for them to live. But also look at it this way. I was put into a position to show them just how much I love them, so I took it. See there's always selfishness to anything. Especially when you know where you're ending up.

this is true

Quote:
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 05:30 AM
Lifer

I haven't read any of her books, but I have seen The Fountainhead (1949). She wrote screenplay for the film. It's a pretty good movie, especially Roark's protracted courtroom speech. It's reportedly the longest speech in Film history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement