Scott McClellan's book is finally out - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Scott McClellan's book is finally out

Oh is this going to be priceless, the left who used to attack him at every turn will now use him as evidence of an unnecessary war while the right who spent so much time defending him will now be attacking him and saying he isn't credible. Bush employed him for 10 years which guarantee's some serious drama coming from all sides

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...wwkNHZTzYiHIew

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AFP) A former White House spokesman charges in a new memoir that President George W. Bush was not "open and forthright on Iraq" and relied on "propaganda" to sell an "unnecessary" war, US media reported Wednesday.

Scott McClellan, who was Bush's press secretary from 2003-2006, delivers a scathing critique of the administration in a 341-page book titled "What Happened: Inside the Bush White House and Washington's Culture of Deception."

He describes Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice as deft at deflecting blame and calls Vice President Dick Cheney "the magic man" who steered policy behind the scenes while leaving no fingerprints, The Washington Post reported.

McClellan, 40, who defended White House policy from his podium during press briefings, also writes that the Iraq war "was not necessary" and "was a serious strategic blunder," according to Politico.com.

"I still like and admire President Bush," McClellan writes in the book to be published next week.

"But he and his advisers confused the propaganda campaign with the high level of candor and honesty so fundamentally needed to build and then sustain public support during a time of war...

"In this regard, he was terribly ill-served by his top advisers, especially those involved directly in national security."

The former aide also blasts the White House staff over the disastrous handling of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, saying they "spent most of the first week in a state of denial."

"One of the worst disasters in our nation's history became one of the biggest disasters in Bush's presidency," he writes.

"The perception of this catastrophe was made worse by previous decisions President Bush had made, including, first and foremost, the failure to be open and forthright on Iraq and rushing to war with inadequate planning and preparation for its aftermath."

McClellan's book is critical of Rice, who was Bush's national security adviser between 2001 and 2005 before becoming the chief US diplomat.

"No matter what went wrong, she was somehow able to keep her hands clean," he writes, according to the New York Times. "She knew how to adapt to potential trouble, dismiss brooding problems, and come out looking like a star.

He also accuses former senior Bush advisor Karl Rove and Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Cheney's chief of staff, of deceiving him on their role in an explosive CIA leak scandal.

"Rove, Libby, and possibly Vice President Cheney allowed me, even encouraged me, to repeat a lie" that Rove and Libby were not involved in the leak of the name of former CIA operative Valerie Plame, McClellan writes.

Libby was convicted of obstruction of justice in 2007 and sentenced to two and a half years in prison, but Bush commuted his sentence.

McClellan's book has raised eyebrows among Washington's pundits for its candor and critical tone.

Rove, now a commentator on Fox News, hit back at McClellan as a "little irresponsible" and "out of the loop" for suggesting that he was involved in the CIA leak affair.

Rove said that McClellan "should have spoken up" earlier if he had had moral qualms about actions or policies of the White House.

The former spokesman points to his own shortcomings in his book, writing: "I fell far short of living up to the kind of public servant I wanted to be."

"As press secretary, I spent countless hours defending the administration from the podium in the White House briefing room. Although the things I said then were sincere, I have since come to realize that some of them were badly misguided."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 07:43 AM
T-MINUS

I didn't realize he was only40. I've got to get my shit together and be more productive

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:22 PM
gear jammer

The excerpts from it are pretty scathing but to be honest its nothing that most of the general population hasn't thought for quite some time.

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Num say'n? (tm)

Another kiss and tell political book. He was "asked" to resign and now he has an axe to grind.

DFWMustangs.net
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP135
Another kiss and tell political book. He was "asked" to resign and now he has an axe to grind.
Divesting of the stinky Bush legacy and making a shitpot full of money doing it. Hmmm... I'd take it.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by black01gt
Divesting of the stinky Bush legacy and making a shitpot full of money doing it. Hmmm... I'd take it.
He's no different than half of Clinton's staff that has either turned on him, or switched parties. George Stephanopolis (sp) among others, have all written books. I don't blame them for wanting the money, but I read them all like any other fictional novel.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky
The excerpts from it are pretty scathing but to be honest its nothing that most of the general population hasn't thought for quite some time.

The fact that he was from the inside lends credibility to what he says. The bush buddies can't just blow it off as being some ignorant fuck who doesn't know what he's talking about.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 08:55 AM
reppin tha westside

Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up
The fact that he was from the inside lends credibility to what he says. The bush buddies can't just blow it off as being some ignorant fuck who doesn't know what he's talking about.
yep they're in full spin mode. Wouldn't surprise me to see some sort of "medical report" surface, questioning McClellan's mental state.

too bad it's illegat to just shoot 'em all & start with a new batch

------------------------------------------------------------------------
El Duderino.......of the Crown Royal Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Jester, your posts do the same thing as going to a county fair, you really make people think "Hey, I'm not so fucked up after looking at that guy!"
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up
They certainly can't blow it off, but it's sounding like he was privvy to about 25% of the high-level meetings, and a lot of the book is his "opinions". Look at what Dick Morriss did (and is doing) to the Clintons as we speak.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzwell
too bad it's illegat to just shoot 'em all & start with a new batch
Actually, there are some pretty strong constitutional protections of revolution. The second amendment isn't about a hobby.

Give me a dollar.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Worship me

Some of Bush's top advisors are fucking morons? No big suprise there.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Lifer

I'm sure it's all true.

Is anyone satisfied with the way "the war on terror" has turned out after 5-6 years? Fuck no.

With no clearly defined objective for going in, and no clearly defined criteria for getting out, no wonder it feels like a neverending clusterf...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird
I'm sure it's all true.

Is anyone satisfied with the way "the war on terror" has turned out after 5-6 years? Fuck no.

With no clearly defined objective for going in, and no clearly defined criteria for getting out, no wonder it feels like a neverending clusterf...
No doubt. I find it hilarious that with all the might of the US military we cannot find after what , 7 plus years.some asshole who is supposedly living in a cave in Pakistan plotting crimes against America, and Americans , but yet we can watch him everynight on the 5 o'clock News
You got to give MJM credit , they can bullshit everyone and most believe it..
Got to love sheep
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird
I'm sure it's all true.

The thing is, is that's we're now on a different objective. As soon as we acomplish something, there's more shit to tend to. Not saying all of it is because of our actions, but if we leave it, it'll be considered our fault. These issues that we're dealing with have been going on LONG before we got here. Now I think we're not leaving until it's all taken care of (which is next to never). Now Afghanistan, on the other hand, is the real screwed situation. I'm surprised people don't point their finger more to that, instead of Iraq (not that you were). I don't even see Objective 1 getting complete, unfortunately. It's not that we pulled resources into Iraq. It's just because the task is more entailed than most people can really imagine. If anything should be labelled a "Viet Nam," that'd be a good comparison.

Iraq's problem is street gangs, corrupt officials, small-organized crime, etc. It's just like a large South-Central LA with different resources. They're breeding them as fast as we can bury them.

Improvements? Hell ya! Utopia? Nope.

The last thing about Iraq is definately not our fault by any means. We've guided them into political independence, military and police training, financial security, etc. better than we could have guided Hellen Keller through a whore house to get to church. The problem lies with the Iraqi people not wanting to take responsibility and run with it. As much as you hear people bitch about us being there, the Iraqis are the last people wanting us to leave. I do believe they're lazier than the general population of Iran.

Am I satisfied with the War on Terror? Yes and no. Let's count the major incidents we've had on US soil since we began this campaign... yep, I'm good there. Now let's see when this "war" will be over... fuck, I forgot. This isn't a war against a group or people. It's a war against a state of being. How does that end? It's like we're waging a war against racism. No matter how many you're gonna kill, there will always be more.

I think we all need to stop looking at this "war" to have an end product, rather look for specific objectives to be met. Whether we back out of Iraq, Afghanistan, etc., we're going to be fighting this war to the last day of existance. This is now part of a global way of life, like another world-wide business. Get used to it. Any child you see from this day forward will more than likely be part of this "war's" effort, one way or another. You can either close you eyes and pretend nothing is happening, watch it from TV and bitch about it, be a victim (which might happen eventually anyway), or dig your heels in somewhere where you think you can support the effort the most.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 12:45 AM
Lifer

i beleive there is a bigger ajenda.you now if our goverment waned obama,i mean osama they would have him quick.

guys from the morning of 9-11-01 there have been very good questions asked and nothing but crap for answers.crazy arabs flying commercial liners like they where fighter planes into the towers?maybe.
false flag event conducted by our own goverment to get the people behind a war,most likely.
why the war?
wheres osama?
pentigon footage?
building #7?
etc...

im think we have been had,you decide by whom.

RON PAUL '08
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 05:57 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast83
i beleive there is a bigger ajenda.you now if our goverment waned obama,i mean osama they would have him quick.

guys from the morning of 9-11-01 there have been very good questions asked and nothing but crap for answers.crazy arabs flying commercial liners like they where fighter planes into the towers?maybe.
false flag event conducted by our own goverment to get the people behind a war,most likely.
why the war?
wheres osama?
pentigon footage?
building #7?
etc...

im think we have been had,you decide by whom.
While you're busy wasting your last few brain cells trying to figure something other than what it just is, terrorists are plotting/preparing to kill someone you know or love... maybe even you. What would it take to get you to go on the offensive and do something about it? After the fact? I care too much for that.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 09:27 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

He's just mad that Bush supported Rick Perry instead of his mom.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
He's no different than half of Clinton's staff that has either turned on him, or switched parties.
Except he is still breathing.

Mopar63

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement