Lotteries are not for education any more - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Lotteries are not for education any more

Quote:
SACRAMENTO, California (Reuters) - California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger unveiled on Wednesday a revised $144.35 billion budget plan for the state's next fiscal year that proposes using state lottery revenues to back bonds whose proceeds would help close a $17.2 billion shortfall and build a rainy-day reserve.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/usPoli...52524620080514

They are for general revenue. What happened to, "it is for the kids"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog

When you're $14 billion in the shitter, you better do what you gotta do...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 07:56 PM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog

it never was for the kids. the funds that they took out of the lottery and put into education; they pulled the same general funds right back out of education and put those funds into something else. it is a shell game.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 08:33 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

State government has been raping earmarked funds forever. For example, lets look at the State Of Texas and the diversion of highway funds (primarily funded through the gas tax in Texas). This year over 3 billion will be collected from the gas tax. Over 1.5 BILLION will be diverted into:

- DPS 1,200,000,000
- Health and Human Services 20,00,000
- Commission on The Arts 1,340,000
- Historical Commission 1,000,000
- TEA 100,000,000
- The Fucking Lufkin Tourist Information Center 150,000

1.5 Billion that could have been used for roads and keep shit like SH 121 from becoming a toll road.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
State government has been raping earmarked funds forever. For example, lets look at the State Of Texas and the diversion of highway funds (primarily funded through the gas tax in Texas). This year over 3 billion will be collected from the gas tax. Over 1.5 BILLION will be diverted into:

- DPS 1,200,000,000
- Health and Human Services 20,00,000
- Commission on The Arts 1,340,000
- Historical Commission 1,000,000
- TEA 100,000,000
- The Fucking Lufkin Tourist Information Center 150,000

1.5 Billion that could have been used for roads and keep shit like SH 121 from becoming a toll road.
Exactly. None of those fucking faggots in Austin or at the NTTA want to talk about that though. Toll roads are just another tax. I refuse to pay though, I don't use their fucking roads unless I absolutely have to.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
Exactly. None of those fucking faggots in Austin or at the NTTA want to talk about that though. Toll roads are just another tax. I refuse to pay though, I don't use their fucking roads unless I absolutely have to.

Did you see the deal on the other night, about how the new tollway project is 'behind schedule' and is going to drag on out through 2014 or 2015 now? Original estimates were at $1.3 Billion, and now range from $1.1 - 2.1 Billion?

Fucking crooks. I use it, but it's a necessary evil for me, as much as I drive all over the State of TX. I don't pay for it out of my pocket, though.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 03:54 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Funny thing is Perry and the rest of the fruit loops up in Austin are singing the praises of our "Surplus."

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
Did you see the deal on the other night, about how the new tollway project is 'behind schedule' and is going to drag on out through 2014 or 2015 now? Original estimates were at $1.3 Billion, and now range from $1.1 - 2.1 Billion?

Fucking crooks. I use it, but it's a necessary evil for me, as much as I drive all over the State of TX. I don't pay for it out of my pocket, though.
Well of course it is. We have to drag it out as long as we can so that the NTTA has time to identify a new useless project that no one really needs. Maybe they will finally do a toll road from Denton to Greeneville, we really need that!

That's what no on seems to understand about the tollway nonsense, the state created this semi-private entity and now it is just going to perpetuate itself as best it can by dipping into the pockets of the public and creating an open ended string of wasteful projects. The tolls will never go away either. Worst fucking idea ever.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Well of course it is. We have to drag it out as long as we can so that the NTTA has time to identify a new useless project that no one really needs. Maybe they will finally do a toll road from Denton to Greeneville, we really need that!

That's what no on seems to understand about the tollway nonsense, the state created this semi-private entity and now it is just going to perpetuate itself as best it can by dipping into the pockets of the public and creating an open ended string of wasteful projects. The tolls will never go away either. Worst fucking idea ever.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea. I think it's a good idea, actually. Especially when taking the info OLD1WC posted earlier about the gas tax going to all the other bullshit agencies in to account. I do however, see where the NTTA is abusing the power they have, though. "Oh, shit! Toll road goes free to public in two months. Let's get some graders and concrete crews out quick, we can milk them for at least another 7-8 years."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Worship me

Quote:
I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea. I think it's a good idea, actually. Especially when taking the info OLD1WC posted earlier about the gas tax going to all the other bullshit agencies in to account. I do however, see where the NTTA is abusing the power they have, though. "Oh, shit! Toll road goes free to public in two months. Let's get some graders and concrete crews out quick, we can milk them for at least another 7-8 years."
No it's not a good idea. If the gas tax is collected for roads it should be used for roads. If the money isn't enough the taxes should be raised. Instead now we have created a whole new entity that duplicates what the Texas DoT does. Instead of making the DoT work correctly and funding it correctly now we have more entities that do the same thing and a convenient side effect is government gets the money it diverted as a new tax on the people who use the roads that they already paid for when they bought gas. I don't know how making people pay for roads twice and stealing the money for other uses is a good idea, to me that sounds like a bunch of fucking criminals at work.

At least you are catching on to the perpetual projects scam. See what they are doing to the bridges in Irving on Bush? They got to go back and sink piers to the bedrock because they didn't know the soil would settle. Who the fuck builds in Irving and isn't aware that the soil is the worst shit in the world?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:14 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
It becomes a county thing. The reason Denton and Collin were going after NTTA is because funding dried up from the state to complete the roads. NTTA steps in and says we'll pay you up front and cut you a percentage of the toll. The counties without any alternative go with NTTA. NTTA floats billions in bonds as a state approved authority and pays back those bonds with toll money. The region will benefit from new roadways from the NTTA upfront payment.

I can certainly see the reason behind it for the counties.

Also, I didn't mention before... the close to 1 billion in funds given from the Feds to Texas so they could pay for the highways in Texas which the Feds ask for back so they can pay for the War on Terror and the Katrina Relief.

Oh yea, fuck you and your OLD 01WC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement