post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

abortion a medium for art, political discourse

I think I'm going to be sick.

For senior, abortion a medium for art, political discourse

Martine Powers

Staff Reporter
Published Thursday, April 17, 2008

Art major Aliza Shvarts '08 wants to make a statement.

Beginning next Tuesday, Shvarts will be displaying her senior art project, a documentation of a nine-month process during which she artificially inseminated herself "as often as possible" while periodically taking abortifacient drugs to induce miscarriages. Her exhibition will feature video recordings of these forced miscarriages as well as preserved collections of the blood from the process.

The goal in creating the art exhibition, Shvarts said, was to spark conversation and debate on the relationship between art and the human body. But her project has already provoked more than just debate, inciting, for instance, outcry at a forum for fellow senior art majors held last week. And when told about Shvarts' project, students on both ends of the abortion debate have expressed shock . saying the project does everything from violate moral code to trivialize abortion.

But Shvarts insists her concept was not designed for "shock value."

"I hope it inspires some sort of discourse," Shvarts said. "Sure, some people will be upset with the message and will not agree with it, but it's not the intention of the piece to scandalize anyone."

The "fabricators," or donors, of the sperm were not paid for their services, but Shvarts required them to periodically take tests for sexually transmitted diseases. She said she was not concerned about any medical effects the forced miscarriages may have had on her body. The abortifacient drugs she took were legal and herbal, she said, and she did not feel the need to consult a doctor about her repeated miscarriages.

Shvarts declined to specify the number of sperm donors she used, as well as the number of times she inseminated herself.

Art major Juan Castillo '08 said that although he was intrigued by the creativity and beauty of her senior project, not everyone was as thrilled as he was by the concept and the means by which she attained the result.

"I really loved the idea of this project, but a lot other people didn't," Castillo said. "I think that most people were very resistant to thinking about what the project was really about. [The senior-art-project forum] stopped being a conversation on the work itself."

Although Shvarts said she does not remember the class being quite as hostile as Castillo described, she said she believes it is the nature of her piece to "provoke inquiry."

"I believe strongly that art should be a medium for politics and ideologies, not just a commodity," Shvarts said. "I think that I'm creating a project that lives up to the standard of what art is supposed to be."

The display of Schvarts' project will feature a large cube suspended from the ceiling of a room in the gallery of Green Hall. Schvarts will wrap hundreds of feet of plastic sheeting around this cube; lined between layers of the sheeting will be the blood from Schvarts' self-induced miscarriages mixed with Vaseline in order to prevent the blood from drying and to extend the blood throughout the plastic sheeting.

Schvarts will then project recorded videos onto the four sides of the cube. These videos, captured on a VHS camcorder, will show her experiencing miscarriages in her bathrooom tub, she said. Similar videos will be projected onto the walls of the room.

School of Art lecturer Pia Lindman, Schvarts' senior-project advisor, could not be reached for comment Wednesday night.

Few people outside of Yale's undergraduate art department have heard about Shvarts' exhibition. Members of two campus abortion-activist groups . Choose Life at Yale, a pro-life group, and the Reproductive Rights Action League of Yale, a pro-choice group . said they were not previously aware of Schvarts' project.

Alice Buttrick '10, an officer of RALY, said the group was in no way involved with the art exhibition and had no official opinion on the matter.

Sara Rahman '09 said, in her opinion, Shvarts is abusing her constitutional right to do what she chooses with her body.

"[Shvarts' exhibit] turns what is a serious decision for women into an absurdism," Rahman said. "It discounts the gravity of the situation that is abortion."

CLAY member Jonathan Serrato '09 said he does not think CLAY has an official response to Schvarts' exhibition. But personally, Serrato said he found the concept of the senior art project "surprising" and unethical.

"I feel that she's manipulating life for the benefit of her art, and I definitely don't support it," Serrato said. "I think it's morally wrong."

Shvarts emphasized that she is not ashamed of her exhibition, and she has become increasingly comfortable discussing her miscarriage experiences with her peers.

"It was a private and personal endeavor, but also a transparent one for the most part," Shvarts said. "This isn't something I've been hiding."

The official reception for the Undergraduate Senior Art Show will be from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on April 25. The exhibition will be on public display from April 22 to May 1. The art exhibition is set to premiere alongside the projects of other art seniors this Tuesday, April 22 at the gallery of Holcombe T. Green Jr. Hall on Chapel Street.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Lifer

W T F

That is DISGUSTING! I've been trying to get pregnant for 18+ months and this bitch forces herself to miscarry for the sake of "art"?

post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Out

She needs to be aborted

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Secular Dogooderist

Thought this was good...

"Sara Rahman '09 said, in her opinion, Shvarts is abusing her constitutional right to do what she chooses with her body."

hoooOOWHAT!!?

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
This will help everyone out, check it.
It is time we acknowledged a basic feature of human discourse: when considering the truth of a proposition, one is either engaged in an honest appraisal of the evidence and logical arguments, or one is not. Religion is the one area of our lives where people imagine that some other standard of intellectual integrity applies.
-Sam Harris
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Factory Issue

This has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of an Ivy Leaguer doing. Short of the Skull & Bones guys having to lay in a coffin and jerk one in front of their dads.

Give me a dollar.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Lifer

What lucky guys.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Secular Dogooderist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeabeer
This has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of an Ivy Leaguer doing. Short of the Skull & Bones guys having to lay in a coffin and jerk one in front of their dads.
HIlarious.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
It is time we acknowledged a basic feature of human discourse: when considering the truth of a proposition, one is either engaged in an honest appraisal of the evidence and logical arguments, or one is not. Religion is the one area of our lives where people imagine that some other standard of intellectual integrity applies.
-Sam Harris
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm over it!

Thats just horrible! That bitch deserves to be killed.

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 02:27 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

I'm pro-choice and all, but that's beyond despicable.

post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Lifer

It is part of the human condition, but left field in this ball park is miles away.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Never settle always excel

I just can't find the "art" in that from any aspect.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Worship me

Look at me, I'm an attention whore who needs some attention. Give me a break.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Secular Dogooderist

Everything is art, you just have to look for it.

This chick's just an attention whore. She took the most divisive issue, and put it center stage.

She's not different though, many artists do this.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
-Sam Harris
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Lifer

I guess the bitch is creative... Brutal, but creative.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Lifer

Sick bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

people like that are why I'm pro-abortion, not pro-choice.

post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra

Bull poopy. Prove it.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Pushed to the limit

Shvarts sounds like something I did in my shvorts the other day.

Buying dogs kills.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm
Bull poopy. Prove it.
Maybe not to this extreme but it has been done. The cover of the Metallica album "Load" is an example.

Buying dogs kills.
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS
Maybe not to this extreme but it has been done. The cover of the Metallica album "Load" is an example.

That doesnt qualify as "many"

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Secular Dogooderist

Quote:

This chick's just an attention whore. She took the most divisive issue, and put it center stage.

Read and comprehend.

I know it's hard, but you can do it.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
-Sam Harris
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

I see by your quotes you embrace incredibly intelligent men, who embraced Jesus Christ. Good to see you coming around.

Quote:
Read and comprehend.

I know it's hard, but you can do it.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Secular Dogooderist

Sorry sir, but Einstien certainly did not embrace Jesus christ like you and your ilk do.

To think so would be to display a fundamental misunderstanding of the point he was trying to get across.

You are soooooo wrong, it's almost funny.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
-Sam Harris
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Sorry sir, but Einstien certainly did not embrace Jesus christ like you and your ilk do.

To think so would be to display a fundamental misunderstanding of the point he was trying to get across.

Einstein was a jew...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Einsten was EXTREMELY religous......

Quote:

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Secular Dogooderist

But he did not believe in your God, not even close.

He was not a christian, like you think he was.

He was profoundly religious, but nowhere near your delusional state, and only tagged his notion of the boundless as God for lack of a better term.

He would have laughed at the notion that a supernatural being constantly interacts with humankind.

He would have laughed at you and your blind acceptance of Christ as your savior from the perils of this earth, not to mention how you believe in eternal life.

Jesus Christ to him was NOT God.

You lose, bucko.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
-Sam Harris
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

If you had any credibility, you lost it when you got exposed in a lie. Your taco stand my ass.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Secular Dogooderist

You're really getting tore up right now, how does it feel?

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong again.

It must really suck to be stuck in your skin, living your life.

How truly sad...

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
-Sam Harris
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
If you had any credibility, you lost it when you got exposed in a lie. Your taco stand my ass.

Taco, taco man
Don't mess with the taco man

you know the tune, now sing along...
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Quote:
You're really getting tore up right now, how does it feel?

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong again.

It must really suck to be stuck in your skin, living your life.

How truly sad...

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangVilla
Taco, taco man
Don't mess with the taco man

you know the tune, now sing along...

You can best believe that, he's a taco man!
He's chopping on the lettuce, go man go.
Hey! Hey! Hey hey hey!
Taco taco man....

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Secular Dogooderist

I'll never have to answer to a boss for the rest of my life.

Can you say that?

It's nice you can't even argue using words anymore, you resort to pictures.

Good job, buddy.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
-Sam Harris
post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

You don't own anything. And if you think some fly by nite taco stand is going to guarantee financial security....

Well, just go right on thinking that. Im sure that "taco stuffing" will look GREAT on your resume! And if your parents ever lose their mind and give you any kind of decision making role in their restraunt (IF that's even true) you're going to need a resume.

I've worked for myself, and I've managed a larger staff than you will ever manage..then again, that could be just one, but I digress.).

And btw, it isn't arguing...it's just slapping you around. I guess you like it or something, and I'm a hopeless humanitarian.

Quote:

Can you say that?

Good job, buddy.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:

Can you say that?

Good job, buddy.
Once all your posts hit the other internet sites around Dallas, you might not have a taco left for yourself if this is the way you drum up business.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:05 PM
BANNED

what a fucking sick bitch.

post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:07 PM
IA2

I read this article today and was sickened by it. There are so many things wrong with it; it boggles the mind. The only thing I can think is that I hope some day when she gets married and that they cannot conceive, and she can dwell on the innocent life that she eliminated to make an "art" project.
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Secular Dogooderist

Quote:
You don't own anything. And if you think some fly by nite taco stand is going to guarantee financial security....

Well, just go right on thinking that. Im sure that "taco stuffing" will look GREAT on your resume! And if your parents ever lose their mind and give you any kind of decision making role in their restraunt (IF that's even true) you're going to need a resume.

I've worked for myself, and I've managed a larger staff than you will ever manage..then again, that could be just one, but I digress.).

And btw, it isn't arguing...it's just slapping you around. I guess you like it or something, and I'm a hopeless humanitarian.
You keep working for someone else's dollar there, buddy

With how much I've made you look like a fool, with as much as I've proven you wrong, and as much as you've straight up stopped posting in some threads because of it, I truly can't believe how you get off actually typing those words at me.

You disgust me, sir.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
-Sam Harris
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

You've never proved me wrong. I, on the other hand, pwn3e you so badly you changed your sig.

As far as working for someone else's dollar.....

I can work 20 hrs a day, make a little more than I do now, not have insurance, a social life, see my family, etc...

OR I can work 8-10 hrs a day, make basically the same amount, see my family, with a nice bennie package.

Real touch choice.

You on the other hand get to play romancing the mop while you're swabbing the head between stuffing tacoes.

And again, your PARENTS made. Not how much you have made. Where's the restraunt by the way? We want to see you......

Quote:

With how much I've made you look like a fool, with as much as I've proven you wrong, and as much as you've straight up stopped posting in some threads because of it, I truly can't believe how you get off actually typing those words at me.

You disgust me, sir.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:

You disgust me, sir.

My theory is that you would suck a dead cat's dick, if you thought it would piss 90% of the people off on here. Must be something in those tacos that makes you a hater. I am new to these threads but the ones I read you spend most of your time talking about how stupid everyone else is and yet there ain't no meat on the bone you are gnawing. Just empty words and shallow comebacks laced with the desire to make people respect you or buy into your taco stand. Have an IPO and most of these guys will buy in hookline and sinker. It is the dream of the
American male to own a taco stand with his own hos standing around outside. You get two tacos for the price of one. A little now and later action.

Carry on with the mindless bullshit thrown down at the stupidest headlines out there. You have the freedom to do that kind of shit becuase you are in America. Go to the MiddleEast and live in one of those countries and talk shit about the politicians, clergy, and people in general and your taco stand will become you gallows and your hands a cup for your nuts.

Carry on
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Secular Dogooderist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangVilla
My theory is that you would suck a dead cat's dick, if you thought it would piss 90% of the people off on here. Must be something in those tacos that makes you a hater. I am new to these threads but the ones I read you spend most of your time talking about how stupid everyone else is and yet there ain't no meat on the bone you are gnawing. Just empty words and shallow comebacks laced with the desire to make people respect you or buy into your taco stand. Have an IPO and most of these guys will buy in hookline and sinker. It is the dream of the
American male to own a taco stand with his own hos standing around outside. You get two tacos for the price of one. A little now and later action.

Carry on with the mindless bullshit thrown down at the stupidest headlines out there. You have the freedom to do that kind of shit becuase you are in America. Go to the MiddleEast and live in one of those countries and talk shit about the politicians, clergy, and people in general and your taco stand will become you gallows and your hands a cup for your nuts.

Carry on
Hey man all that being said, regardless of whether I think it's true or I agree with it or not, you're still a cool dude to me. Thanks for not bashing me like these other guys. I can have respect constructive criticism, wherever it comes from. All that being said, most of that stuff isn't entirely true, but slightly skewed in comparison to the truth. I can tell that the collective opinion about me here has influenced what you think about me, some of these guys say some pretty nasty shit about me.

One thing, I'm not really looking for respect, or looking for people to buy into our restaurant. Those are just the avenues that all these naysayers adopt, only having slim pickens to go after me on, because on the majority, I'm pretty accurately portraying the issue at hand, but most people aren't willing to hear the truth and not have something to say about their own subjective truth.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
-Sam Harris
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

OK, this is obviously a troll. Who is it? That was one of the funniest posts yet. Nicely played.

Quote:
Hey man all that being said, regardless of whether I think it's true or I agree with it or not, you're still a cool dude to me. Thanks for not bashing me like these other guys. I can have respect constructive criticism, wherever it comes from. All that being said, most of that stuff isn't entirely true, but slightly skewed in comparison to the truth. I can tell that the collective opinion about me here has influenced what you think about me, some of these guys say some pretty nasty shit about me.

One thing, I'm not really looking for respect, or looking for people to buy into our restaurant. Those are just the avenues that all these naysayers adopt, only having slim pickens to go after me on, because on the majority, I'm pretty accurately portraying the issue at hand, but most people aren't willing to hear the truth and not have something to say about their own subjective truth.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Lifer

Quote:

Madonna / Big Unit:

Wow, look the man has a penis

Shock value diminishes very quickly.
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:34 AM
NES Crew

HookEm and Zarathustra, sorry to hijack this lackluster thread, but;

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - A Yale University art student duped the student newspaper with a story about inducing repeated abortions on herself and using the blood for her senior art project, the school said Thursday.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080418/D903VVSO0.html
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Disgusting. What a piece of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangol

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - A Yale University art student duped the student newspaper with a story about inducing repeated abortions on herself and using the blood for her senior art project, the school said Thursday.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:55 AM
mannish boy

meh, sounds pretty cool to me
post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 01:38 PM
He's no good to me dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangol

Now she is denying that it is a hoax...

http://yaledailynews.com/articles/view/24528
Sponsored Links
Advertisement