Examples on how liberalism-creep works. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Examples on how liberalism-creep works.

Quote:
The San Jose Democrat on Thursday proposed raising the beer tax by $1.80 per six-pack, or 30 cents per can or bottle. The current tax is 2 cents per can. That's an increase of about 1,500 percent.

Beall said the tax would generate $2 billion a year to fund health care services, crime prevention and programs to prevent underage drinking and addiction.

"The people who use alcohol should pay for part of the cost to society, just like we've accepted that concept with tobacco," Beall said.
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_8888028?source=rss

and another example

Quote:
"We have a health tax on alcohol and cigarettes and there should be a health tax on butter. It's the most poisonous commonly consumed food in New Zealand. It's about the purest form of saturated fat you can eat and it has no protein and no calcium. Butter has had all the good things taken out and just left the poison."
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4466728a11.html

Soon you will live the way that liberals want you to live. Fuck that freedom crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 06:26 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Either liberalism-creep works... or how liberal creeps work.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 10:26 PM

While on one hand its bullshit...on the other hand the amount of drunk drivers is also fucking bullshit and the amount of deaths they cause is absurd. Drive on loop 12, 360, or 35E late on any Fri/Sat/Sun and its littered with drunk idiots...maybe if they raised the cost of drinks at bars it would cut down on people going out to drink. Because you inevitably have to drive home and how many people are responsible enough to stop drinking an hour or more before they leave?

The butter thing is utter bullshit

Seriously though...I'm for both sides of the fence on Alcohol...on one hand it sucks because there are those who enjoy a responsible drink at home or have a beer or two at the bar and are fine when they drive. But there are far more idiots who drink and drive (a lot of the time litterally at the same time), and alcohol destroys tons of lives yet it isnt cracked down on as much as marijuana and tobacco

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 07:40 AM
Out

Apples and oranges! Alcohol doesn't pose a threat to anyone else. The EFFECT of alcohol on certain people does. Now, when you light a cigarette, you're exposing not only yourself, but everyone withing the smoke's reach.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Lifer

I have just not ever heard an argument that makes me worried about so-called sin taxes. I don't smoke but I do have a drink every once in awhile.

I have a problem with more taxes on things I have no choice to buy, but not on luxury or sin items.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Apples and oranges! Alcohol doesn't pose a threat to anyone else. The EFFECT of alcohol on certain people does. Now, when you light a cigarette, you're exposing not only yourself, but everyone withing the smoke's reach.
Not a good arguement. Its not the EFFECT..its effect is universaly the same (for about 99% of people) you drink a lot and you get drunk..simple as that. What you meant to say is the responsibility of people is not the same. But can I ask you, how many times have you gone to the bar with friends and you all get pretty tipsy or even drunk...how many of you drive home? You may be an exception to the rule, but I can guarentee you far more people think they can handle driving home drunk then those who have a DD or call a cab. There's a reason that Alcohol is responsible for over 30% of deaths in traffic accidents.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Secular Dogooderist

good point--

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
This will help everyone out, check it.
It is time we acknowledged a basic feature of human discourse: when considering the truth of a proposition, one is either engaged in an honest appraisal of the evidence and logical arguments, or one is not. Religion is the one area of our lives where people imagine that some other standard of intellectual integrity applies.
-Sam Harris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement