corn to ethanol shortcut - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

corn to ethanol shortcut

http://www.physorg.com:80/news126863154.html

Cow stomach holds key to turning corn into biofuel

The enzyme that allows a cow to digest grasses and other plant fibers can be used to turn other plant fibers into simple sugars. These simple sugars can be used to produce ethanol to power cars and trucks.

MSU scientists have discovered a way to grow corn plants that contain this enzyme. They have inserted a gene from a bacterium that lives in a cow’s stomach into a corn plant. Now, the sugars locked up in the plant’s leaves and stalk can be converted into usable sugar without expensive synthetic chemicals.

"The fact that we can take a gene that makes an enzyme in the stomach of a cow and put it into a plant cell means that we can convert what was junk before into biofuel,”

The Spartan Corn line was created by inserting an animal stomach microbe gene into a plant cell. The DNA assembly of the animal stomach microbe required heavy modification in the lab to make it work well in the corn cells
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Secular Dogooderist

They've been doing research on this for years. I saw a cow with a fucking hold in its side, sitting there chewing the shit out of some grass like nothing was wrong. They had this dude reaching inside of a grommet in the cow's side pulling out half-digested feed. We-ird...

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
This will help everyone out, check it.
It is time we acknowledged a basic feature of human discourse: when considering the truth of a proposition, one is either engaged in an honest appraisal of the evidence and logical arguments, or one is not. Religion is the one area of our lives where people imagine that some other standard of intellectual integrity applies.
-Sam Harris
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 09:07 AM
IA2

We are very early in the ethanol production process. I expect to keep seeing advances like this; there is money to be made here. But they do need to find out how to use something other than corn as a source.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Lifer

Ya i agree with mike, they need to find a way to produce it without using our food source, guess i can put on my trailer "if we all starve blame me" since i went to e85

71 Camaro 355sbc 6.472 @ 104mph/10.311 @ 128
Powered by: Tripp Motorsports E85 carburetor

NHRA Super Street-4040
IHRA Hot Rod-404
NHRA ET-404M
IHRA SSS-4X4M

How am I supposed to get my own T-Shirt with all those different numbers?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 09:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra
They've been doing research on this for years. I saw a cow with a fucking hold in its side, sitting there chewing the shit out of some grass like nothing was wrong. They had this dude reaching inside of a grommet in the cow's side pulling out half-digested feed. We-ird...
i saw that also...weird.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

cellulostic ethanol FTW

everything that grows can be converted to ethanol, your old hedge clippings, the grass in your yard, the weeds in the road ditches, the scrap from forestry operations even the organic crap in your trash...

Oil prices will eventually come down to a more reasonable level, too much trouble to get outta' the ground and transport even over short distances, as OPEC realizes those crazy Americans have this technology under development .

Unfortunately, it's still several years off in the future.

mardyn

R.I.P. James E. Berry 01/03/57-- 01/14/05

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 10:33 AM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardyn
cellulostic ethanol FTW

everything that grows can be converted to ethanol, your old hedge clippings, the grass in your yard, the weeds in the road ditches, the scrap from forestry operations even the organic crap in your trash...

Oil prices will eventually come down to a more reasonable level, too much trouble to get outta' the ground and transport even over short distances, as OPEC realizes those crazy Americans have this technology under development .

Unfortunately, it's still several years off in the future.

mardyn
It would certainly be to their advantage to keep oil prices down to discourage the development of alternatives. Unfortunately for them that genie is already out of the bottle with the production of vehicles able to run on ethanol and a growing ethanol supply system. If you combine the availability of E85 with vehicles that can run on it and throw in production of ethanol from sources other than corn then we have a winner, and we begin to put reverse pressure on OPEC and the speculators.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Yea. I almost forgot abut the Fusion 2000 reactor on the back of Doc Brown's DeLorean....

very cool.

mardyn

R.I.P. James E. Berry 01/03/57-- 01/14/05

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb
It would certainly be to their advantage to keep oil prices down to discourage the development of alternatives. Unfortunately for them that genie is already out of the bottle with the production of vehicles able to run on ethanol and a growing ethanol supply system. If you combine the availability of E85 with vehicles that can run on it and throw in production of ethanol from sources other than corn then we have a winner, and we begin to put reverse pressure on OPEC and the speculators.
The prob with E-85 is you use 30% more to go the same distance, sure its .30/gal cheaper than gas but remember it also has around a .50/gal government sub. on it take that away and your paying .20/gal more to go 30% less miles, BTW who pays for that .50/gal government sub. your taxes do.

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Bullet sort of looses his grip when he factually gets his ass tore off.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camino
The prob with E-85 is you use 30% more to go the same distance, sure its .30/gal cheaper than gas but remember it also has around a .50/gal government sub. on it take that away and your paying .20/gal more to go 30% less miles, BTW who pays for that .50/gal government sub. your taxes do.
...and ask the Aussie's what some of the long-term effects are on automobile fuel systems.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Censored

Quote:
So as the gas prices have gone up Ethanol has been going up with it?

Doors Done Rite

Last edited by big_tiger; 04-09-2008 at 12:30 PM.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Thats only what the stats are for the fuel consumption, i have not seen a difference in the amount of fuel i use between runs, i cannot talk about fuel mileage in a street car but the race car is nothing different. Govt sub the fuel after 1.30 a gallon, its still cheaper than $8 for race fuel. I passed the other day and it was 2.78 a gallon while gas was 3.26 a gallon. The govt will sub the fuel as long as its not the major fuel source for the country. And at least my taxes go to something i use now

The price of e85 goes up with the price of gas because of the tankers that bring the fuel to the pumps are the same, however they do not go up as much, when gas goes up 5c e85 goes up 2c

71 Camaro 355sbc 6.472 @ 104mph/10.311 @ 128