Typical democrat? you decide - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
makin' bacon

Typical democrat? you decide

Had a chance this weekend to visit some old friends, and during the process of our visit, got into a heated discussion about politics. Now, before anyone starts in on the name-calling, the person in question is actually intelligent, but is terribly mis-informed, and when asked "where did you get this information?" the answer is from other friends (mostly democrats from what I was told) and from websites on the internet. For the record, this person is 33, and has been a voter since 18.

Our discussion went into presidential candidates, and she was undecided about which democrat she would vote for, but was dead set against McCain, because republicans will get us into another war and because the republicans had reinstated the draft, so she didn't want to see her children being killed in a war. I tried to give her factual information, but was told I was just "being a republican" and the quoted the demo-fact that 2000 of our soldiers were being killed a month since this war was started by Bush. When I mentioned that just over 4000 had been killed in the entire war, was told that I was lying. I had to quickly let this topic go, as it was about to get ugly, and as said, she is an old friend.

We then started discussing about how all republicans have started all the wars, she made mention that it was indeed Jimmy Carter that ended the Vietnam war and brought home our troops. When given the dates of when the war was officially over, and when Carter took office, I was informed my dates were off. When I made mention of the Iran hostage crisis and how it took Reagan coming into office to get them released, again, I was wrong. In this persons eye, Carter was a saint, and the best president. I was informed about how Reagan was the worst president, yata yata. I gave the fuck up at this time, as I would have better luck talking to the pile of crawfish we were eating.

Again, this person is smart, educated through highschool, and has a good job, etc. The issue is, she is grossly mis-informed, and because of the democratic tendency to label ANY information that does not fit what she has been told by her demo friends as "republican bullshit" she will not listen to reason.

33 years old, and votes every chance she gets.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:38 AM
who me????

Spreading misinformation qualifies someone as an idiot.
post #3 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
makin' bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350mustang
Spreading misinformation qualifies someone as an idiot.
Listening to the misinformation and being brainwashed by it qualifies as what though?

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #4 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Recovering Lush

Several regular posters in this forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
Listening to the misinformation and being brainwashed by it qualifies as what though?

Stevo

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
post #5 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:55 AM
IA2

Some people will not allow facts to get in the way of what they want to believe.
post #6 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Lifer

I wish you would have left out the gender so I could have guessed it was a woman.

<---- Ducks beofre the girls start bashing.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #7 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Lifer

Quote:

Stevo
How else do the liberals get people to believe the crap they are spewing? They can't have a radio or TV show that spews their straight line rhetoric and actually get ratings. Their message is not one that resonates with Americans in it's truest form, so they have to have these sheeple or they would have no following at all.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #8 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Lifer

i normally make it a rule to not post anything in this forum, but for some reason today i've decided to break that rule.

most studies calculate approximately 1 million total deaths as a result of the us occupation of iraq (i call it that because some misinformed people still think its a war on terror). don't ask me to post links because anyone can research this with a little time. the pentagon and their media puppets spend a lot of effort trying to conceal the true death count of this war:
1) iraqi civilians are not reported by pentagon/media
2) mercenaries are not reported by pentagon/media - thats right, the majority of the soldiers in iraq are mercenaries, not us troops or british troops, etc...

for you to only mention the 4000+ us soldiers shows that you have a narrow view of the war.

fyi, the total death count includes the following and is not just limited to combat related deaths:
1) deaths due to decreased law as a result of the war
2) deaths due to decreased health care as a result of the war
3) etc...

-1970 pontiac lemans, 400ci, th400
-95GTS 44k miles, 281rwhp, 325rwtq, canyon carver
-89LX: 314rwhp, 345lb*ft, cobra disc brake conversion
-97 cobra 27k miles...rearended by some douche, RIP

Last edited by Rusty Shackleford; 04-07-2008 at 09:45 AM.
post #9 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Lifer

Sounds like she needs to cease voting for anything and pick up a history book. Idiots like that are gonna vote for clinton.
post #10 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Resident Epicurean

That's pretty scary if you ask me. Sounds to me like that chick isn't qualified to vote for American Idol contestants, let alone potential leaders of the country.
post #11 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Recovering Lush

You have a source, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford
i normally make it a rule to not post anything in this forum, but for some reason today i've decided to break that rule.

most studies calculate approximately 1 million total deaths as a result of the us occupation of iraq (i call it that because some misinformed people still think its a war on terror). don't ask me to post links because anyone can research this with a little time. the pentagon and their media puppets spend a lot of effort trying to conceal the true death count of this war:
1) iraqi civilians are not reported by pentagon/media
2) mercenaries are not reported by pentagon/media - thats right, the majority of the soldiers in iraq are mercenaries, not us troops or british troops, etc...

for you to only mention the 4000+ us soldiers shows that you have a narrow view of the war.

fyi, the total death count includes the following and is not just limited to combat related deaths:
1) deaths due to decreased law as a result of the war
2) deaths due to decreased health care as a result of the war
3) etc...

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #12 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Lifer

i repeat: "don't ask me to post links because anyone can research this with a little time."

currently, this has got to be one of the easiest subjects to find information on.

post #13 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:08 AM
mannish boy

sounds like a typical stupid bitch to me
post #14 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:39 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm
You have a source, right?
The only study I can think of off hand (too lazy to search) would be the study done at John Hopkins/MIT back in 06 which put the total at 655,000. This was total deaths and not necessarily deaths attributed to coalition forces.

There was some question about the survey method involved but they used the cluster survey method which is typically used in estimating deaths during conflicts.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #15 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
The only study I can think of off hand (too lazy to search) would be the study done at John Hopkins/MIT back in 06 which put the total at 655,000. This was total deaths and not necessarily deaths attributed to coalition forces.

There was some question about the survey method involved but they used the cluster survey method which is typically used in estimating deaths during conflicts.
Were there any similar studies done about how many were killed by Saddam when he was gassing his own people? I also wonder how many of the dead were insurgents and not Iraqi citizens. This is not some easy thing to get definitive answers IMO.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #16 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Worship me

I guess when some Iraqi guy chokes on a ham sandwich that is the fault of "the occupiers" too. Did I say ham? Oh no, we are to blame for them eating ham too.

Give me a fucking break with that shit. Some people in this thread just prove the point of the original post. IE, don't stop and think about things for your self, just read it on that thar innernet thing, they already done thought it out!!!
post #17 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Out

I didn't know that you and gpamp were old friends
post #18 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 Notch
Were there any similar studies done about how many were killed by Saddam when he was gassing his own people? I also wonder how many of the dead were insurgents and not Iraqi citizens. This is not some easy thing to get definitive answers IMO.
Well shit, the insurgents are civilians for the purposes of this study, don't you know anything about fluffing statistics for political purposes?
post #19 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:56 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 Notch
Find the study the number of dead that were citizens vs. insurgents and who killed them were all part of the survey. Also I believe the number directly attributed to coalition forces was about 25%.

The first question is a non-issue. We can assume it was enough that the United States decided to act. If we delve into how many Saddam gassed we can even go deeper and try and decide who supplied Iraq with the expertise and systems development for chemical weapons...

US plans got screwed in 79 with the overthrowing of the pro-US Shah of Iran. Up until then Iran was a key ally in Washington almost to the extent of Israel. We've been trying to clean up the mess ever since. First by backing Iraq until in the Iran-Iraq war things didn't workout as planned.

We shifted strategy when Saddam screwed up and tried to take Kuwait and we've been on another track ever since.

Not saying it's right or wrong just my observation of the situation.

post #20 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
makin' bacon

Quote:

For you to pick this one tidbit from my post shows that you have a narrow mind, period. I didn't say 4000 humans consisting of Iraqi citizens, Iraqi solders, American soldiers, and foreign combatants, it was inferred (and anyone can easily draw that conclusion if you actually read the post and have average or above reading comprehension) that there has only been slightly over 4000 American soldiers killed in this war so far, as compared to roughly 120,000 American soldiers that the person in question was trying to tell me have been sent home in body bags.

I'm sorry that you may be a democrat and my post probably has you butt-hurt, but you need to stick to facts guy.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #21 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
makin' bacon

Quote:
i repeat: "don't ask me to post links because anyone can research this with a little time."

currently, this has got to be one of the easiest subjects to find information on.
Translated: "I'm pulling information out of my ass, and you can spend time fact-finding to disprove me if you want."

I'll pass.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #22 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:
For you to pick this one tidbit from my post shows that you have a narrow mind, period. I didn't say 4000 humans consisting of Iraqi citizens, Iraqi solders, American soldiers, and foreign combatants, it was inferred (and anyone can easily draw that conclusion if you actually read the post and have average or above reading comprehension) that there has only been slightly over 4000 American soldiers killed in this war so far, as compared to roughly 120,000 American soldiers that the person in question was trying to tell me have been sent home in body bags.

I'm sorry that you may be a democrat and my post probably has you butt-hurt, but you need to stick to facts guy.

Stevo
you said "When I mentioned that just over 4000 had been killed in the entire war, was told that I was lying." this infers that just over 4000 people have been killed. most people don't understand how many people have really died as a result of the occupation of iraq. the 4000 reported us trips is just a drop in the bucket.

post #23 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Translated: "I'm pulling information out of my ass, and you can spend time fact-finding to disprove me if you want."

I'll pass.

Stevo
the information i stated is widely known to anyone who has mildly studied the war.

example: one thing we both agree on is that there are 4000+ dead us soldiers. you didn't put a reference for that because it is widely known to anyone that knows anything about the war.

post #24 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:

I think they really cherry picked the clusters as well. I remember lots of debate about the validity, and some anecdotal comparisons that made it seem even more outrageous.
post #25 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Worship me

Quote:
the information i stated is widely known to anyone who has mildly studied the war.
Sure it is. In this thread alone someone pointed out an MIT study that quoted numbers 40% less than yours.

I like how you pre-qualify your statements with "don't ask me to prove it, but...". You might as well say "Don't ask me to think for myself, I read this on the internet so it must be true..."
post #26 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I think they really cherry picked the clusters as well. I remember lots of debate about the validity, and some anecdotal comparisons that made it seem even more outrageous.
They would never do that. People don't lie for money or fame.
post #27 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:25 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

hahahahaha..... not suprised at all.
post #28 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Lifer

A point of reference for "a Republican getting us into another war"...WWI -Woodrow Wilson (Dem)- 117k US deaths, WWII-FDR (Dem)- 400k US deaths, Korean Conflict-Truman (Dem)- 33k US deaths, Viet Nam War- JFK/LBJ joint venture-60k+ US deaths. Nixon, of all people, pulled us out of Viet Nam. Those warmonger Republicans!

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #29 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
A point of reference for "a Republican getting us into another war"...WWI -Woodrow Wilson (Dem)- 117k US deaths, WWII-FDR (Dem)- 400k US deaths, Korean Conflict-Truman (Dem)- 33k US deaths, Viet Nam War- JFK/LBJ joint venture-60k+ US deaths. Nixon, of all people, pulled us out of Viet Nam. Those warmonger Republicans!
But do those really count?
post #30 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
Sure it is. In this thread alone someone pointed out an MIT study that quoted numbers 40% less than yours.

I like how you pre-qualify your statements with "don't ask me to prove it, but...". You might as well say "Don't ask me to think for myself, I read this on the internet so it must be true..."
that mit study was performed in 2006 (as stated). it is now 2008. that study agrees with my statements.

post #31 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Recovering Lush

Sources, please

Quote:
that mit study was performed in 2006 (as stated). it is now 2008. that study agrees with my statements.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #32 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Worship me

Quote:
You honestly think 400,000 more people have died in the last 18 months? Are you fucking high?
post #33 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
You honestly think 400,000 more people have died in the last 18 months? Are you fucking high?

I've never been THAT high, and I can put it away.

He might not be high, but he's a fucking idiot for sure!
post #34 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
I've never been THAT high, and I can put it away.

He might not be high, but he's a fucking idiot for sure!
You are right, stupid is way worse than high.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #35 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Out

Quote:
Sources, please
I'll beat him to it...

"It's out there, search for yourself. Until you find it, you'll be wrong. When you do find it, you'll still be wrong."
post #36 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Out

Quote:
You are right, stupid is way worse than high.
I don't know... less munchies, for sure.
post #37 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
I'll beat him to it...

"It's out there, search for yourself. Until you find it, you'll be wrong. When you do find it, you'll still be wrong."
Here is some interesting math, if you assume the MIT study was done two years ago and ~345,000 people have died since then it would be 472 people being killed each and every day.

You'd think we would hear about something like that. I could be wrong though. LOL

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #38 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
makin' bacon

Quote:
you said "When I mentioned that just over 4000 had been killed in the entire war, was told that I was lying." this infers that just over 4000 people have been killed. most people don't understand how many people have really died as a result of the occupation of iraq. the 4000 reported us trips is just a drop in the bucket.
Alright, didn't want to ridicule you but, here, I'll quote myself so you may try to re-read what was posted in the first post:

Quote:
so she didn't want to see her children being killed in a war. I tried to give her factual information, but was told I was just "being a republican" and the quoted the demo-fact that 2000 of our soldiers were being killed a month since this war was started by Bush. When I mentioned that just over 4000 had been killed in the entire war, was told that I was lying.
See? My original post is clearly inferring that we are discussing AMERICAN SOLDIERS in our discussion. Funny thing is, it appears she is quite smarter than you as she knew we were discussing American troops.

I am sorry you cannot read simple sentences and process the information and draw logical conclusions as most people can, and I can now see why you have the tendency as you mentioned to not post in this forum. Being below average isn't a bad thing, as long as you know you have the problem.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #39 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
makin' bacon

Quote:

example: one thing we both agree on is that there are 4000+ dead us soldiers. you didn't put a reference for that because it is widely known to anyone that knows anything about the war.
Bullshit. You figures are pulled straight from your ass, if not, you could less time than it took for you to post that response with a single google search and provide a respected source to prove it.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #40 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Sources, please
Al P brought up the MIT study, not me

post #41 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Al P brought up the MIT study, not me
Yea, it was me that started talking about it!!
post #42 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
again, most studies show the number around 1million. its difficult to gain exact numbers. please also realize that when someone says, 1 million it is an approximation.

again, going back to the MIT study you brought up: if ~655,000 died from 2003-2006 then 345,000 dieing from 2006-2008 is approximately same death rate.

post #43 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Here is some interesting math, if you assume the MIT study was done two years ago and ~345,000 people have died since then it would be 472 people being killed each and every day.

You'd think we would hear about something like that. I could be wrong though. LOL
you don't hear about all the deaths because your source of information is fox 4 news.

post #44 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
makin' bacon

Quote:
again, most studies show the number around 1million. its difficult to gain exact numbers. please also realize that when someone says, 1 million it is an approximation.

again, going back to the MIT study you brought up: if ~655,000 died from 2003-2006 then 345,000 dieing from 2006-2008 is approximately same death rate.
You are a good representation of why there needs to be an I.Q. test done before anyone is allowed to vote.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #45 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Out

Quote:

You do realize that those figures are wrong anyway. Both numbers.
post #46 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Worship me

Quote:
you don't hear about all the deaths because your source of information is fox 4 news.
Well, I suppose that is better than nowhere.

Which happens to be the source of your information.
post #47 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:47 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
You do realize that those figures are wrong anyway. Both numbers.
So Denny, you will have to enlighten us with your numbers. For the moment, I'll take John Hopkins/MIT over DFWStangs, FTW... unless you can read the study and tell me where it is flawed.

RS, I would suspect the rate of death in the conflict isn't linear nor has kept pace with the early days when some big ass bombs were dropping every day and night.

The question, for me, is was 600K worth it or not?

post #48 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Worship me

Quote:

Yes Einstein, that was the point of my post above.

If you think the death rate is the same now as it was during 2003-2006 you must be sniffing glue or something.

post #49 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Worship me

Quote:
So Denny, you will have to enlighten us with your numbers. For the moment, I'll take John Hopkins/MIT over DFWStangs, FTW... unless you can read the study and tell me where it is flawed.

RS, I would suspect the rate of death in the conflict isn't linear nor has kept pace with the early days when some big ass bombs were dropping every day and night.

The question, for me, is was 600K worth it or not?
I'd go with the MIT study too. Even if they are off by a factor of 2 that is still a big number.

Ask me in 20 years if it was "worth it". I'll have my answer then.
post #50 of 209 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:

And your source is?

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement