ABSOLUT-ly offensive - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush
 
HookEm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Saginaw, TX
Posts: 10,011
Angry ABSOLUT-ly offensive

Mexico reconquers California? Absolut drinks to that!

The latest advertising campaign in Mexico from Swedish vodka maker Absolut promises to push all the right buttons south of the U.S. border, but it could ruffle a few feathers in El Norte.



http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lapl...-reconque.html


color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[



Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
HookEm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010
 
TexasDevilDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (North Side)
Posts: 14,140
In a fairy tail world. Mexico is a shit hole. People leave there to come here. You really think they want more land to have a bigger shit hole, or live in the USA?
TexasDevilDog is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!
 
Juiceweezl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: 2V-ville
Posts: 3,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog
In a fairy tail world. Mexico is a shit hole. People leave there to come here. You really think they want more land to have a bigger shit hole, or live in the USA?
I think you're missing the point. If that's a real ad, it's offensive to Americans that Absolut would even consider promoting that concept through print media. I find it totally despicable and if I drank Absolut, I'd pour whatever I had down the toilet and never give them another cent.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
Juiceweezl is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush
 
HookEm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Saginaw, TX
Posts: 10,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl
I think you're missing the point. If that's a real ad, it's offensive to Americans that Absolut would even consider promoting that concept through print media. I find it totally despicable and if I drank Absolut, I'd pour whatever I had down the toilet and never give them another cent.

Sadly, it is a real ad. If I still drank, I'd never drink the stuff again. Besides, that stuff is swill compared to Stoli or Grey Goose.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[



Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
HookEm is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010
 
TexasDevilDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (North Side)
Posts: 14,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl
I think you're missing the point. If that's a real ad, it's offensive to Americans that Absolut would even consider promoting that concept through print media. I find it totally despicable and if I drank Absolut, I'd pour whatever I had down the toilet and never give them another cent.
Ah geez. I have better things to do than be upset. So, they poked some fun at the USA.
TexasDevilDog is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush
 
HookEm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Saginaw, TX
Posts: 10,011
I'd say that's more than poking fun. That's taking a dump on the men who lost their lives at Goliad and in the Alamo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog
Ah geez. I have better things to do than be upset. So, they poked some fun at the USA.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[



Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
HookEm is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.
 
Slowhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room
Posts: 12,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm
I'd say that's more than poking fun. That's taking a dump on the men who lost their lives at Goliad and in the Alamo.
I'm the first to get my panties in a wad about Mexican-US relations, but you're looking far too deeply into this.

It's a choice they made as a company, and if it truly is offensive to Americans, their sales will reflect that.

edit: and for christ's sake, stop posting things like this and complaining about them. I'm tired of every other thread being an endlessly futile pissing match between you and 01WC.

Slowhand is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush
 
HookEm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Saginaw, TX
Posts: 10,011
What does 01WC have to do with this?

And most Americans will never see this, as the company has the good sense to not run it in "El Norte."


Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
I'm the first to get my panties in a wad about Mexican-US relations, but you're looking far too deeply into this.

It's a choice they made as a company, and if it truly is offensive to Americans, their sales will reflect that.

edit: and for christ's sake, stop posting things like this and complaining about them. I'm tired of every other thread being an endlessly futile pissing match between you and 01WC.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[



Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
HookEm is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.
 
Slowhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room
Posts: 12,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm
What does 01WC have to do with this?

And most Americans will never see this, as the company has the good sense to not run it in "El Norte."
If they're not running it in "El Norte", then that's just good marketing on their parts. They're playing to their audience; I don't see the issues.

Any educated person would be aware that Mexico can't handle their population as it is; taking back the Southwest wouldn't help, nor would it be possible with how shitty that country is. It's a damned shame too, because it's a beautiful place.

And what does 01WC have to do with this? He's inevitabely going to come into this thread and start bitching and moaning about you and the non-existence of Jesus and your alcoholism.

Slowhand is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush
 
HookEm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Saginaw, TX
Posts: 10,011
I dont think 01WC is gonna bust my balls in this thread. We're good.



Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
If they're not running it in "El Norte", then that's just good marketing on their parts. They're playing to their audience; I don't see the issues.

Any educated person would be aware that Mexico can't handle their population as it is; taking back the Southwest wouldn't help, nor would it be possible with how shitty that country is. It's a damned shame too, because it's a beautiful place.

And what does 01WC have to do with this? He's inevitabely going to come into this thread and start bitching and moaning about you and the non-existence of Jesus and your alcoholism.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[



Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
HookEm is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Lifer
 
mopar63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Watauga
Posts: 1,136
Screw Mexico! The only thing they have going for them is a few decent beaches. I will gladly step up to the plate if they try to take Texas again but they can have that shit hole California and take the movie stars with them . I don't drink that crap anyway, you can see what demographic they are pandering to.

Mopar63

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
mopar63 is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.
 
Slowhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room
Posts: 12,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm
I dont think 01WC is gonna bust my balls in this thread. We're good.
Well thank god, because reading that was getting really old.

I see your point on this issue, but this is a business move, not a political statement. You also have to keep in mind that Absolut is a Swedish company, and foreigners don't have what one would call a positive opinion of the US right now.

Slowhand is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.
 
Slowhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room
Posts: 12,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar63
Screw Mexico, the only thing they have going for them is a few decent beaches. I will gladly step up to the plate if they try to take Texas again (I think we are out numbered), they can have that shit hole California and take the movie stars with them. I don't drink that crap anyway, you can see what demographic they are pandering to.
LOL! I don't think you have to worry about them taking anything back by force. By implementation of millions of agents known as illegal immigrants? Perhaps. But the notion Mexico using their busted-ass, crooked military to accomplish anything is hilarious.

Slowhand is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Lifer
 
mopar63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Watauga
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
LOL! I don't think you have to worry about them taking anything back by force. By implementation of millions of agents known as illegal immigrants? Perhaps. But the notion Mexico using their busted-ass, crooked military to accomplish anything is hilarious.
I know just talking shit on a Friday night. Hell the way our "Leadership" is running this country in the ground would they want it back in say 20 years?

Mopar63

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
mopar63 is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.
 
Slowhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room
Posts: 12,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar63
I know just talking shit on a Friday night. Hell the way our "Leadership" is running this country in the ground would they want it back in say 20 years?
Ha, agreed. I'm much more afraid of the people running this country right now than I am of the Mexican populous.

Slowhand is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome