Water is wet 47 66.20%
Water is not wet 10 14.08%
Ima gonna get banned for this thread 14 19.72%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
IA2

Is water wet?

Zara disagrees with me that water is wet; it is my "perception" that water may in fact be wet. I just want to see what everyone else thinks. Hell, maybe i'm wrong and water is actually dry

I'll skip the "is the sky blue" poll, and "is the sun hot" poll for brevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra
The sky is in fact not blue, sorry. It only appears as such. What makes my blue your blue? I may see something as red, and you see it as blue. Opinion.

Water only feels wet. If you only had one single molecule of water--2 hydrogen and 1 oxygen atoms. Would it be water? Would it be wet?

Your brain lies to you.

Your reasoning is utter bullshit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 10:29 PM
makin' bacon

Quote:
This message is hidden because Zarathustra is on your ignore list.
FTMFW!

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #3 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 10:34 PM
Never settle always excel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb
Zara disagrees with me that water is wet; it is my "perception" that water may in fact be wet. I just want to see what everyone else thinks. Hell, maybe i'm wrong and water is actually dry

In college we learned that wet is simply a sensation caused by the movement of a fluid over the skin. Most people feel comfortable with the idea water=wetness. Also Zara has to account for the fact perception is reality. He is simply regurgitating what he heard from some College Prof, LOL.

post #4 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 10:35 PM
Pushed to the limit

I say not always because my ice cubes were pretty dry when I pulled them out of the freezer for dinner.

Buying dogs kills.
post #5 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Trash
He is simply regurgitating what he heard from some College Prof, LOL.
that's exaclty what this sounds like.

i've had the color discussion many times before, but is he honestly trying to get in an argument about it?

post #6 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
that's exaclty what this sounds like.

i've had the color discussion many times before, but is he honestly trying to get in an argument about it?
Quote:
I'd like to see you stick my head under a single molecule of water. Definitely would not be wet.

My point is to reevaluate that which we hold to be true.
Yep. He is arguing theory/ideas and ignoring the real world. Making the concept of "wet" complicated, just like clinton did for "is". Most normal folks understand wet and blowjobs, but zara will argue with ya.
post #7 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 10:45 PM

Water is very wet but you can make it wetter.

post #8 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 10:46 PM
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

I choose not to judge the water. The water does not judge itself. If a life free of judgement is good enough for water, it may well be good enough for me.
post #9 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 10:55 PM
mannish boy

my life has improved so much since I put Big Studly on my ignore list... might have to add Zara after that one
post #10 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 10:56 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS
I say not always because my ice cubes were pretty dry when I pulled them out of the freezer for dinner.
ice does not equal water. ice equals water in a frozen form. by your logic, steam = water.......

in any case, neither steam not ice is wet. water however, gives the perception of wetness.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
post #11 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawkins
I choose not to judge the water. The water does not judge itself. If a life free of judgement is good enough for water, it may well be good enough for me.
vote, you asshole!
post #12 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 11:33 PM
mannish boy

man, if you go outside and get rained on and walk into some public structure and say "I'm all wet!" you're going to get some VERY strange looks... I mean... everyone knows that water isn't wet!
post #13 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 11:35 PM
T-MINUS

Zarathustra is the type of dumb, impressionable child that walks through the doors of a college and the liberal professor looking for mindless studies dumps a fresh load of DNA in his hand woven wool underwear. I'm sure his parents are fighting to get their hard earned money refunded as we speak.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #14 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 11:35 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
man, if you go outside and get rained on and walk into some public structure and say "I'm all wet!" you're going to get some VERY strange looks... I mean... everyone knows that water isn't wet!
Water is the anti-dry!

Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #15 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 11:55 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

I would like to hear from somebody who doesn't honestly perceive water to be wet, and then I would like to know the exact type and degree of mental retardation they have been diagnosed with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #16 of 183 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 11:56 PM
makin' bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
I would like to hear from somebody who doesn't honestly perceive water to be wet, and then I would like to know the exact type and degree of mental retardation they have been diagnosed with.
See the quote in post one.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #17 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:00 AM
mannish boy

lol @ colors not being colors... they have different PHYSICAL characteristics... different temperatures...

that whole "this is all an illusion" thing is cool and all when you're stoned off your fucking ass sitting up on a mountain doing nothing, but how does it benefit you in the real world where you have to work/fight/etc. to survive?

next time you get pulled over for running a red light or driving too fast on a wet road, be sure to tell the cop that there's no such thing as "red" or "wet", therefore he can't give you a ticket
post #18 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:00 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
See the quote in post one.

Stevo
I saw where he said he wasn't in tune with the birds and the flowers and the butterflies and nature and all that bullshit to be able to perceive the wetness of a single molecule of water against his skin, but I'm waiting for him to actually say that he perceives water to be dry, or not wet.

Quote:
post #19 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:03 AM
mannish boy

Quote:
I saw where he said he wasn't in tune with the birds and the flowers and the butterflies and nature and all that bullshit to be able to perceive the wetness of a single molecule of water against his skin, but I'm waiting for him to actually say that he perceives water to be dry, or not wet.
there's no such thing as dry either... there is no spoon... I am the walrus
post #20 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:06 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
lol @ colors not being colors... they have different PHYSICAL characteristics... different temperatures...

that whole "this is all an illusion" thing is cool and all when you're stoned off your fucking ass sitting up on a mountain doing nothing, but how does it benefit you in the real world where you have to work/fight/etc. to survive?
My philosophy teacher, cool as fuck and I loved that class, BTW, said that nothing we learned in that class would serve us in the real world or make us rich or happy, but it would show us new ways to look at the world.
Quote:
next time you get pulled over for running a red light or driving too fast on a wet road, be sure to tell the cop that there's no such thing as "red" or "wet", therefore he can't give you a ticket
"Littering and...?"
Quote:
there's no such thing as dry either... there is no spoon... I am the walrus
I am the eggplant.

Quote:
post #21 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:08 AM
mannish boy

Quote:
My philosophy teacher, cool as fuck and I loved that class, BTW, said that nothing we learned in that class would serve us in the real world or make us rich or happy, but it would show us new ways to look at the world."Littering and...?"I am the eggplant.
I loved my philosophy classes too...

but man, there's a difference between sitting around with like-minded people and having intelligent discussion and ranting at people telling them that water isn't wet
post #22 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:10 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

I agree, but then again, I'm just a simpleton with no understanding of the true concept of reality.

Quote:
post #23 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:15 AM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

I voted to ban you

put this in the back porch
post #24 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:25 AM
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm
ice does not equal water. ice equals water in a frozen form.
So which is it?

Buying dogs kills.
post #25 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Secular Dogooderist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
FTMFW!

Stevo
You're not special.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
This will help everyone out, check it.
It is time we acknowledged a basic feature of human discourse: when considering the truth of a proposition, one is either engaged in an honest appraisal of the evidence and logical arguments, or one is not. Religion is the one area of our lives where people imagine that some other standard of intellectual integrity applies.
-Sam Harris
post #26 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:46 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
You're not special.
That's your perception, but is it reality?

Quote:
post #27 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:53 AM
Secular Dogooderist

My arguments hold water.

There are arguably some instances when water is in fact not wet. But, are we really arguing this? I guess if a simpleton must attack me on such a simple means, then the other arguments I've raised didn't suit his fancy. The line here is clearly drawn, but the OP had to draw this one out. Prove to me that water is always wet and you win the argument, if not--you lose. Pretty simple. I just didn't think that the OP had to draw out the fact that he clearly lost the argument and put it into a poll, that in itself is hilarious. The fact that he can't see what I'm talking about is even funnier.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
It is time we acknowledged a basic feature of human discourse: when considering the truth of a proposition, one is either engaged in an honest appraisal of the evidence and logical arguments, or one is not. Religion is the one area of our lives where people imagine that some other standard of intellectual integrity applies.
-Sam Harris
post #28 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:54 AM
Secular Dogooderist

Quote:
That's your perception, but is it reality?
It's my reality.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
-Sam Harris
post #29 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:56 AM
Secular Dogooderist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
Zarathustra is the type of dumb, impressionable child that walks through the doors of a college and the liberal professor looking for mindless studies dumps a fresh load of DNA in his hand woven wool underwear. I'm sure his parents are fighting to get their hard earned money refunded as we speak.
Yea because you know exactly who I am....

Get off it.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
-Sam Harris
post #30 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:59 AM
Secular Dogooderist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Trash
In college we learned that wet is simply a sensation caused by the movement of a fluid over the skin. Most people feel comfortable with the idea water=wetness. Also Zara has to account for the fact perception is reality. He is simply regurgitating what he heard from some College Prof, LOL.
By your reasoning I'm simply regurgitating what you heard from your college professor. None of my college professors have ever taught me anything about water, save fore Thales' interpretation of "all is water". Applying your college life to mine will only mislead you into assuming things that are not true. But hey, whatever makes you feel better.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
-Sam Harris
post #31 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 01:35 AM
Lifer

I just asked April (my golden retriever) this very question.

She communicated to me quite eloquently that water is indeed wet. She also said something about how 2 years of swimming in pools and playing ball in the rain gives her confidence enough to address this question for the group.

Carry on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #32 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Out

Quote:
My arguments hold water.
Wait... wet water or dry water?

Zara is right, though. I just don't know how yet.
post #33 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:49 AM
T-MINUS

Quote:
My arguments hold water.

There are arguably some instances when water is in fact not wet. But, are we really arguing this? I guess if a simpleton must attack me on such a simple means, then the other arguments I've raised didn't suit his fancy. The line here is clearly drawn, but the OP had to draw this one out. Prove to me that water is always wet and you win the argument, if not--you lose. Pretty simple. I just didn't think that the OP had to draw out the fact that he clearly lost the argument and put it into a poll, that in itself is hilarious. The fact that he can't see what I'm talking about is even funnier.
Oh! How sweet. You're using the solid/gas/liquid argument. This is on par with someone that uses the "It's a free country, I can say what I want" excuse when you tell them to be quiet.

I may not know you, but I know the type.

post #34 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Lifer

Is there any liquid that is not on the wet list?

Mercury, is that wet? If not, what is the difference between water and mercury?

post #35 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
IA2

Quote:
My arguments hold water.

If your arguments are holding water then I believe your arguments are all wet
post #36 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:23 AM
AHMO!

Hey Zara- 1+1=2

Prove me wrong BITCH.
post #37 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Baller

this is a stupid ass thread. And that is a stupid as reason (the brain lies). Our whole idea of "wet" is based on a sense...so how can that be lieing.

The sky is blue because blue is an adjective, and when you see the sky...it looks blue. There is no noun "blue". How the hell can you tell me the sky is not blue without lieing. Unless by blue you mean red?

The sun is hot because it's a relative means of measurement or comparison. Unless you can withstand the heat of the sun.

This is more a discussion of vocabulary and english than science in my eyes. But then again maybe my eyes are lieing to me.
post #38 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
Hey Zara- 1+1=2

Prove me wrong BITCH.

"
Quote:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience

"

Cough.....

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
post #39 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
This is more a discussion of vocabulary and english than science in my eyes.
What is the difference between English and Science? And why would you say "in my eyes"
Are you saying you are interpreting or subjectifying.
If you're not using your eyes, whose eyes would you be using?
post #40 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Bla Bla Bla

cum is wet, water is dry.

All I hear is bla bla bla......
post #41 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm going Commando

Water's wet, the sky is blue and women have secrets. Who gives a fuck?
post #42 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 10:11 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB
Water's wet, the sky is blue and women have secrets. Who gives a fuck?
LMFAO!

Quote:
post #43 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Hey Zara- 1+1=2

Prove me wrong BITCH.
this one is easy. the establishment has been feeding you the line of bull that 1+1 is 2 for your whole life. think for yourself! perhaps it's 3 or 16! just make it your reality and you'll be right!

post #44 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 10:18 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

It's the new math. Make it up as you go, and you're never wrong.

Quote:
post #45 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 10:22 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
this one is easy. the establishment has been feeding you the line of bull that 1+1 is 2 for your whole life. think for yourself! perhaps it's 3 or 16! just make it your reality and you'll be right!
I got a pm from Zara that says 2 + 2 ='s yellow now.
post #46 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 10:24 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

Beer + water + overactive bladder + shaved ice = lemon snowcones

Quote:
post #47 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb

You need to add another choice on the poll...

Ban Zurethra... Stupidity is contagious and we don't want it to spread.
post #48 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
I got a pm from Zara that says 2 + 2 ='s yellow now.
what?!

goddamnit...my perception must be way off today.

post #49 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS

Ice is not water. You change the form from liquid to solid, so your post has no bearing on the real answer.

If you want to throw a monkey wrench in things, though. Change water to steam. Steam is not wet, contrary to what so many people believe. Steam is a dry gas. That will get ya thinkin....
post #50 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 10:30 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Master Po: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Young Caine: I hear the water, I hear the birds.
Master Po: Do you hear your own heartbeat?
Young Caine: No.
Master Po: Do you hear the grasshopper that is at your feet?
Young Caine: [looking down and seeing the insect] Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Master Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement