Pa. judge sentences 3 to learn English - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
CJD
Time Served

Pa. judge sentences 3 to learn English

Thu Mar 27, 2:16 PM ET

WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - A judge known for creative sentencing has ordered three Spanish-speaking men to learn English or go to jail.

The men, who faced prison for criminal conspiracy to commit robbery, can remain on parole if they learn to read and write English, earn their GEDs and get full-time jobs, Luzerne County Judge Peter Paul Olszewski Jr. said.

The men, Luis Reyes, Ricardo Dominguez and Rafael Guzman-Mateo, plus a fourth defendant, Kelvin Reyes-Rosario, all needed translators when they pleaded guilty Tuesday.

"Do you think we are going to supply you with a translator all of your life?" the judge asked them.

The four, ranging in age from 17 to 22, were in a group that police said accosted two men on a street in May. The two said they were asked if they had marijuana, told to empty their pockets, struck on the head, threatened with a gun and told to stay off the block.

Attorneys for the men said they were studying the legality of the ruling and had not decided whether to appeal. One of the attorneys, Ferris Webby, suggested that the ruling was good for his client, Guzman-Mateo.

"My client is happy," Webby said. "I think it's going to help him."

The judge sentenced the four men to jail terms of four to 24 months. But he gave the three men, who already had served at least four months, immediate parole. Reyes-Rosario remains imprisoned on an unrelated drug charge.

Olszewski ordered the three to return with their parole officers in a year and take an English test. "If they don't pass, they're going in for the 24 (months)," he said.

Olszewski is known for outside-the-box sentencing.

He has ordered young defendants who are school dropouts to finish school. He often orders defendants to get full-time employment. But he also has his staff coordinate with an employment agency to help them find the jobs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Bullet Sponge

I love this. Why can't this happen more?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 01:45 AM
Lifer

This made me smile. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Time Served

Wow, I wish there were more judges like that around. Now that's someone who is definitely helping to make society better, unlike all these god damn politicians who only talk about it.
SS

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
-Samuel Johnson
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:19 PM
I'll miss you Heather :(

Thumbs up

That needs to happen a helluva lot more, especially here in Texas.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinglegend_86
That needs to happen a helluva lot more, especially here in Texas.

I so agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
I'd fuck her and confess my love while using my wife as the mattress.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 01:56 AM
We lost one.....

I wish they would just make english the offical language of the US and get rid of the spanish option. I took a survey for the nissan titan and all it boild down to was do you like your truck and do you wish that your paperwork was in spanish and that you could see more advertising for your truck aimed at hispanics? Fucking weak. I didn't even get paid for it but I did it anyways. Engrish FTW!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 08:41 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I'm really happy with this judge but there was one statement that made me smile...

Quote:
One of the attorneys, Ferris Webby, suggested that the ruling was good for his client, Guzman-Mateo.

"My client is happy," Webby said. "I think it's going to help him."
That tells me that of those three guys, there is at least one fella that will genuinely be helped by this ruling. If that guys actually learns English, he'll "have a chance" to lead a much better life and not find himself in court in the future.

That judge deserves a good pat on the back.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement