We may have only seen a quarter of the problem - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Married Man on 14Feb2010

We may have only seen a quarter of the problem

Quote:
March 25 (Bloomberg) -- Wall Street banks, brokerages and hedge funds may report $460 billion in credit losses from the collapse of the subprime mortgage market, or almost four times the amount already disclosed, according to Goldman Sachs Group Inc. Profits will continue to wane, other analysts said.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...efer=worldwide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 07:03 PM
IA2

I believe that the higher energy and food costs by themselves are going to be enough to affect people's spending enough to eventually effect the economy even without the subprime mess. The subprime mess is just another kick in the economic balls of the US weakening the dollar as bernake cuts rates and causing costs to just keep rising.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:43 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Its going to be a deep inflation fed recession.

I'm thankful to have a job that at least "appears" to be secure.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 09:06 PM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
Its going to be a deep inflation fed recession.

I'm thankful to have a job that at least "appears" to be secure.
Being self employed i'm more than a little worried. I'm trying to stuff away money and pay off bills right now to prepare.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Recovering Lush

IF you REALLY wanted to be prepared, you would consult the great Zarathrusta. That is one squared away dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb
Being self employed i'm more than a little worried. I'm trying to stuff away money and pay off bills right now to prepare.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 09:14 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Best spot to be in. We're cutting expenses and spending more getting new business at the moment. We've baselined the year and seeing what we can add on top of it now.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Lifer

The smart money is seeking shelter from the storm by investment in the taco industry.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 09:17 PM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm
IF you REALLY wanted to be prepared, you would consult the great Zarathrusta. That is one squared away dude.
You are right, what the hell was I thinking
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk
The smart money is seeking shelter from the storm by investment in the taco industry.
I just wish we had an expert in the field to guide us through the rough terrain that is the taco industry, you know, someone who is always right.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 09:58 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 Notch
I just wish we had an expert in the field to guide us through the rough terrain that is the taco industry, you know, someone who is always right.
Not dissin' anyone on the board but these guys have the taco thing down pat:

http://www.tacosurf.com/

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 09:59 PM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 Notch
Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you - just one word.
Ben: Yes sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Ben: Yes I am.
Mr. McGuire: 'Tacos.'
Ben: Exactly how do you mean?
Mr. McGuire: There's a great future in tacos. Think about it. Will you think about it?
Ben: Yes I will.
Mr. McGuire: Shh! Enough said. That's a deal.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Recovering Lush

Looks like "white people" Mexican food.

I'll take a Ft Worth Main Street, or a Dallas Knox taqueria over that trendy nonsense any day of the week.

8 bucks for 3 taquitos? 2.50 a taco? No lengua? No barbacoa?
Two thumbs WAY down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Looks like "white people" Mexican food.

I'll take a Ft Worth Main Street, or a Dallas Knox taqueria over that trendy nonsense any day of the week.

8 bucks for 3 taquitos? 2.50 a taco? No lengua? No barbacoa?
Two thumbs WAY down.
Actually has barbacoa just not on the menu. Trendy? Nah. Hole in the wall mexican food establishment with great top shelf margaritas and every mexican beer on tap.

$1 tacos and $2 tap from 2-6pm every day. Great fish tacos. Excellent Heuvos Motulenos as well if you get there early enough in the day.

But I understand. Maybe your ankle bracelet doesn't allow you outside the FW area.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Additional alcoholism signs can include basing one's dining choice on the alcohol specials, and not the fare served. When the focus of everything is alcohol, you might have a problem.
And from what I hear, you're the one that has experience with an ankle bracelet....projecting, much?

Quote:
Actually has barbacoa just not on the menu. Trendy? Nah. Hole in the wall mexican food establishment with great top shelf margaritas and every mexican beer on tap.

$1 tacos and $2 tap from 2-6pm every day. Great fish tacos. Excellent Heuvos Motulenos as well if you get there early enough in the day.

But I understand. Maybe your ankle bracelet doesn't allow you outside the FW area.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:18 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
And from what I hear, you're the one that has experience with an ankle bracelet....projecting, much?
Which step of the 12 step was that Hook 'Em?

Jealous that there are others out there than can enjoy a beer with their tacos and not have to worry about over-indulging?

I know you would like an alcoholic brother in arms to help you through your struggles in life but don't look to me for that. I can enjoy and not have to worry about binge drinking or waiting for that next round to get me through the day.

Preach on brother Bryce! Preach on!

Ankle bracelet? lol. Not me. Only cops that come knocking on my door are my friends.

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Recovering Lush

Not at all, not at all. Its jsut rather obvious that you're more than slightly obsessed with aldcohol. Between buying your friends, errr buying a keg last week, and a dozen other posts, thats all you post about, other than bashin or cursing someone else.

God lifted the desire to drink out of me the night I was cleansed of my sins, and I havent wanted for a sip since.

MAtthew 26:29
Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom."

Quote:
Which step of the 12 step was that Hook 'Em?

Jealous that there are others out there than can enjoy a beer with their tacos and not have to worry about over-indulging?

I know you would like an alcoholic brother in arms to help you through your struggles in life but don't look to me for that. I can enjoy and not have to worry about binge drinking or waiting for that next round to get me through the day.

Preach on brother Bryce! Preach on!

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:29 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Not at all, not at all. Its jsut rather obvious that you're more than slightly obsessed with aldcohol. Between buying your friends, errr buying a keg last week, and a dozen other posts, thats all you post about, other than bashin or cursing someone else.

God lifted the desire to drink out of me the night I was cleansed of my sins, and I havent wanted for a sip since.

MAtthew 26:29
Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom."
Oes noes! I actually participated in a legal party with a designated driver! Silly me!

Tell me Hook 'Em, being self-righteous and open and all... why did you feel the need to delete all your previous threads you started? There were some really good ones in there!

I'm glad you found God and he became the reason you stopped drinking because obviously it was totally destroying your life, your wife's life and your children's life. Fortunately for others... that isn't the case. Some can partake and it not be a problem.

Good luck on your journey and I hope you find what you looking for.

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Dept free. It's the new status symbol.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Recovering Lush

Those were deleted for pretty obvious reasons. What was the point of having that much clutter, if it was a back and forth conversation that was for all practical purposes a PM type event?

All the quotes were still present, so there was no point in subjecting others to reading everything twice.

Quote:
Oes noes! I actually participated in a legal party with a designated driver! Silly me!

Tell me Hook 'Em, being self-righteous and open and all... why did you feel the need to delete all your previous threads you started? There were some really good ones in there!

I'm glad you found God and he became the reason you stopped drinking because obviously it was totally destroying your life, your wife's life and your children's life. Fortunately for others... that isn't the case. Some can partake and it not be a problem.

Good luck on your journey and I hope you find what you looking for.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:45 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Those were deleted for pretty obvious reasons. What was the point of having that much clutter, if it was a back and forth conversation that was for all practical purposes a PM type event?

All the quotes were still present, so there was no point in subjecting others to reading everything twice.
Ah... yea... gotcha.

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:46 PM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by black01gt
Live like no other, so you can live like no other

besides, paying interest is just stupid
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Lifer

Quote:
every mexican beer on tap. Great fish tacos.
SOLD!!! I had fish tacos in Austin that'd make you slap yo mama. Any good ones around here? Joe's has em but...

Last edited by black01gt; 03-25-2008 at 10:52 PM.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
SOLD!!! I had fish tacos in Austin that'd make you slap yo mama. Any good ones around here? Joe's has em but...

Austin has some pretty good fish tacoes. Seems like down on Barton Springs there are several good stands.

MAgnolia's...well, then again, you can't go wrong with anything there.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Packin' up...

Quote:
Which department is this?
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm/
MAgnolia's...well, then again, you can't go wrong with anything there.
x2 on Magnolia's, that place rules

I was really upset when I found out Mother's Cafe burned. My dad's college roommate owns that place. I was in Austin and drove over there, only to find a burned out shell. Lame.

Give me a dollar.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Worship me

Quote:

Stop posting about California food that I can't have!!
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark
Which department is this?
yuk yuk....we have a new spelling and grammer checker. scuse me. "Debt free". Better?

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Lifer

Quote:
What free department?

EDIT: I got this in a little late.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Resident Epicurean

Luckily things haven't hit our industry very hard, yet. Rising stainless and raw material costs have kicked our asses for the last 5 years now, but, folks are still building like crazy. Most are, anyways.

Other than 5-15% increases twice a year due to raw material costs, and the whole gas/freight fiasco, we've been fairly unscathed thus far. One thing I've noticed though, is that manufacturer's can't pull back their free freight deals quick enough.

Italian chains don't seem to be doing that well these days, however.

Schools haven't slowed down, and as it appears today, there is no end or slow down in sight.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 12:59 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
--Statewide, median sales prices fell by a stunning 26% in February, with home prices dropping at a rate of nearly $3,000 a week, the California Association of Realtors reports. Further, the CAR says the Fed's interest rate-cutting campaign "will have little near-term direct effect on the housing market."
Oops!

As they say... as California goes so does the rest of the country. Not that we'll experience 3K meltdowns every week but if they get the recessionary bug it will carryover.

Might be time to start looking for the next house out there...

post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 01:08 PM
IA2

Quote:
Oops!

As they say... as California goes so does the rest of the country. Not that we'll experience 3K meltdowns every week but if they get the recessionary bug it will carryover.

Might be time to start looking for the next house out there...
Of course it wasn't that long ago that they were going UP $3000 a week, so maybe this is just the yang to the earlier yin.
post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 01:13 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Of course it wasn't that long ago that they were going UP $3000 a week, so maybe this is just the yang to the earlier yin.
I have a friend out there that bought at the last peak in the late 80s. Took him about 12 years to "get even."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement