Rep. Vo Caught Accepting Corporate Contributions - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Rep. Vo Caught Accepting Corporate Contributions

Interesting.......

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

REP. VO CAUGHT ACCEPTING CORPORATE CONTRIBUTIONS
Republican Party of Texas Calls for DA Investigation and Files Complaint with Texas Ethics Commission
AUSTIN, TEXAS -Today, the Republican Party of Texas called on both the Texas Ethics Commission and the Public Integrity Unit of the Harris County District Attorney’s Office to investigate Democratic State Representative Hubert Vo of Houston for the illegal acceptance of corporate campaign contributions.

Invitations and public documents obtained by the Republican Party of Texas show Rep. Vo accepted illegal in-kind corporate contributions from “LOT 8 SALON INC.” According to records provided by the Texas Secretary of State, “LOT 8 SALON INC.” is a “For-Profit Texas Corporation”.

In addition to the illegal in-kind corporate contributions, “LOT 8 SALON INC.” offered discount coupons on clothing purchases in exchange for contributions to Rep. Vo’s campaign. The fundraising invitation (see attached documents) offered the following discounts:

· Free LOT 8 tee with purchase of $100 or more

· 20% off of Chloe’s Pacific Design electronic cases, shoes and handbags

· All attendees will receive 20% off discount card at LOT 8 SALON

According to Rep. Vo’s campaign finance report for the period ending December 31, 2007, no documentation was listed for the in-kind costs associated with the fundraising event held on December 13th. According to campaign finance laws, candidates for state office are prohibited from accepting contributions from corporate entities.

The issue of coupons utilized in political activity is nothing new to the Vo Campaign. In his 2006 campaign, Rep. Vo’s backers ran a “dollars-for-votes” scheme to encourage voters to cast their support for Rep. Vo in exchange for receiving coupons that could be used at local shopping malls (Houston Chronicle: October 27, 2006). The illegal activity was halted by a Harris County District Judge who issued a permanent restraining order prohibiting the distribution of the coupons (Houston Chronicle: October 29, 2006).

Hans Klingler, the RPT’s Political Director, said, “Hubert Vo has a troublesome history of attempting to skirt ethics laws by involving corporate contributions and non-profits in his campaigns. Rep. Vo should know by now that you can’t buy democracy with coupons.”

Vo is running for re-election in Texas House District 149.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 11:57 PM

So, THAT'S what it looks like when Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, etc. get their talking points sent to them.

Didn't a lobbyist take a contribution of tube steak from McCain?

Oh that's right. He said he didn't do it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Lifer

Perhaps, maybe Hubert has taken a page out of Tom Delay's or Carl Roves's playbooks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement