Bush is not a big oil guy - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Bush is not a big oil guy

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush said Wednesday that the United States has to "get off oil" to reduce dependence on foreign suppliers and declared "it should be obvious" that high demand is creating painful gasoline prices.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

I totally agree with his statement. I have said before that we should raise gasoline taxes to discourage use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 07:09 AM
PAN

Our society is built upon transportation, and as such I'm curious how we are to 'stop using it'.

And taxes go to the government. So the literal translation of this means 'give more of your money to the government, to the point that you can't afford it anymore'. Tell me again how this 'helps' society in general get off of oil?

Why can't we do things like encourage companies to utilize home based employees who use neato things like remote desktop? Why can't we offer incentives to ride the bus? Why can't we do things like offer incentives for car pooling? Why can't the city engineers do silly little things like synchronizing traffic lights? Why not get proactive on building roadways to handle the load, as opposed to being reactive, resulting in endless traffic jams? Hey, let's ramp up the smart electronics in cars, so that they 'auto drive'. If the cars monitor the distances between themselves you could eliminate traffic jams due to the removal of the idiot factor overnight. All of these 'off the cuff' ideas would reduce our usage, yet the easy answer is to give the government more of your money.

There are tons of things that can be done to lessen the usage of oil, yet the easy answer seems to be increasing profit margins to never before seen levels and raising taxes further, all on the backs of those who have no choice in the matter but to bear the burden. Highter taxes is nothing more than that.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

I totally agree with his statement.
Shocking! haha
Quote:
I have said before that we should raise gasoline taxes to discourage use.
That's about the worst idea I've ever heard in my life. Next to Larry the Cable Guy movies, of course.

"discourage use"? Most of America isn't like the small towns of Europe, where trains and buses can get you where you want to go. If I had to take a bus to work, for some reason, it would take over an hour, and I live and work in Dallas. Not to mention, if gas prices went up, the bus prices would go up.

No, all higher gas prices do, is prevent luxury spending. Hell, sometimes it prevents other necessity spending. Which along with the housing sector, is sending our economy to recession. Did you agree with Bush when he said we weren't heading for the recession that EVERY economist says we're heading for?

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466
Our society is built upon transportation, and as such I'm curious how we are to 'stop using it'.

And taxes go to the government. So the literal translation of this means 'give more of your money to the government, to the point that you can't afford it anymore'. Tell me again how this 'helps' society in general get off of oil?

Why can't we do things like encourage companies to utilize home based employees who use neato things like remote desktop? Why can't we offer incentives to ride the bus? Why can't we do things like offer incentives for car pooling? Why can't the city engineers do silly little things like synchronizing traffic lights? Why not get proactive on building roadways to handle the load, as opposed to being reactive, resulting in endless traffic jams? Hey, let's ramp up the smart electronics in cars, so that they 'auto drive'. If the cars monitor the distances between themselves you could eliminate traffic jams due to the removal of the idiot factor overnight. All of these 'off the cuff' ideas would reduce our usage, yet the easy answer is to give the government more of your money.

There are tons of things that can be done to lessen the usage of oil, yet the easy answer seems to be increasing profit margins to never before seen levels and raising taxes further, all on the backs of those who have no choice in the matter but to bear the burden. Highter taxes is nothing more than that.

I think the United States should OUTLAW Fossil Fuel Burning Power Plants. I hate to say it, but France has the right outlook on their power plants. They are all Nuclear Powered. Our power plants drain a lot of oil and refinery capcity, why not just use Nuke power to fuel our homes.

2006 Mustang GT
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Out

Raising taxes to discourage use will do nothing but make the people wanna kick you in the ass. Convincing them that their dependance is ridiculous and that their priorities are skewed is a better, yet more difficult route. Once achieved, though, it'll be more efficient. This process should be repeated with every other imported product/commodity. Fuck foreign dependance!!!

Band-aids only cover wounds, not heal them.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Oil is the life blood of the economic engine that drives our country... we've got to have it for now.

Immediate steps should be taken by our government to kick start a nuclear energy initiative to provide power for our batteries, our homes, our businesses and our cities.

Also we should be investing in nuclear & alternative energy sources to power our vehicles...

The sooner I can have a Flux Capacitor to power the electric drive motors on my new vehicle, the better I'll like it.

It's coming one of these days, why not sooner than later?

Oh and btw... we'll be selling that technology to China and India, the rag heads can discount their oil to uneard of prices, it'll cost more to get it outta' the ground and refine it, than it'll ever be worth again.

mardyn

R.I.P. James E. Berry 01/03/57-- 01/14/05

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
I totally agree with his statement. I have said before that we should raise gasoline taxes to discourage use.
It didn't work for Nixon, it didn't work for Carter, and removing and deregulating boosted the Reagan economy. Why would it work now? Artificially limiting resources inflates their value, especially when those limitations are localized.

Its not an issue of use it now or save it for later, its an issue of use it now or lose it later. Look at the difference in agricultural production in West Texas vs Eastern New Mexico. They share an aquifer. New Mexico conserves it. Texas is using it. Apply the same to petroleum, the US could conserve, but China and India would not stop.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Packin' up...

A nuclear powered car sounds fun?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 12:02 PM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark
A nuclear powered car sounds fun?

No doubt. That would be the fuckin' bomb!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 12:18 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

IMO electric cars are going to actually become practical in the next 10 to 15 years.

Start building a big ole butt load of Nuke plants now and we can start to ween ourself off oil...

Oh, and the gas tax idea is bullshit. The only way I'm ok with Gas taxes is if they are going to build more roads.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Time Served

Since when does a power plant use any kind of petroleum product to produce energy? Don't they use coal? The use of fuel in the U.S. is like the eating habits. They use way more than needed. "Need" being the key. How many people actually need a big ass truck or suv to commute?
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 12:39 PM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe50
Since when does a power plant use any kind of petroleum product to produce energy? Don't they use coal? The use of fuel in the U.S. is like the eating habits. They use way more than needed. "Need" being the key. How many people actually need a big ass truck or suv to commute?

How many people 'need' a house to live in? A tent would suffice quite well!
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Married Man on 14Feb2010

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 01:04 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Dude down the street bought a Delorean as a daily last year. I see he might have big plans for it now.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Pushed to the limit

More guns in the hands of more people would fix the oil issue. CHL FTW!

Buying dogs kills.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe50
Since when does a power plant use any kind of petroleum product to produce energy? Don't they use coal?
A lot of plants use natural gas.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466
No doubt. That would be the fuckin' bomb!
haha

I almost had soup in my nose after that.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 PM
The Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
IMO electric cars are going to actually become practical in the next 10 to 15 years.

Start building a big ole butt load of Nuke plants now and we can start to ween ourself off oil...

Oh, and the gas tax idea is bullshit. The only way I'm ok with Gas taxes is if they are going to build more roads.

what runs the electrical grid which those electric cars plug into? coal and oil.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 10:23 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell
what runs the electrical grid which those electric cars plug into? coal and oil.
And natural gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 11:08 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS
More guns in the hands of more people would fix the oil issue. CHL FTW!
I might be mistaken, but it seems like you sure have it out for guns, gun owners, and/or concealed handgun/concealed handgun license-holders. What do you have against them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 10:13 AM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
I might be mistaken, but it seems like you sure have it out for guns, gun owners, and/or concealed handgun/concealed handgun license-holders. What do you have against them?
Gun envy. He has a little bitty gun so naturally he hates everyone who has a big gun.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 11:01 AM
T-MINUS

If all the alternative fuels were great and profittable, then why do they have to be subsidised by the gov't? Because the true cost isn't known and they are already losing money.

ANY Tax = Bad idea.

What is the cost of fuel in the middle east?

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 11:02 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell
Uh no..

Coal, Natural Gas, and Nuclear.

There are VERY few oil burning power plants left in this country. Coal and NG are too cheap (even at todays prices) Nuclear power is likely to take a solid foot hold in the next decade. Several are in the planning stages now. Even the environmentalist are getting the fuck out of the way of new Nuke plants.

Electricity (even at our rates today) cost a TON less to fuel your car than gas does. Electric motors are vastly more efficient and even more powerful than gas engines. The only downside has always been the battery. That downside is finally being worked out. If technologies like Silicone nanotubes pan out, we'll have electric cars with 400mile ranges that can be charged at home. Just toss in a small gas engine with a generator for backup power. (as Chevy is doing with the Volt)

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 11:20 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt

ANY Tax = Bad idea.
Well, I won't go THAT far. IMO Gasoline taxes that are used to build roads, bridges, and transportation infrastructure are a good thing for several reasons...

1. Gasoline taxes are the ultimate fair tax. We all pay the same. An SUV that puts more wear and tear on the road pays more tax than a 40mpg Chevy Aveo.
2. Gasoline taxes are not income redistribution. They are investments that provide a tangible return to everyone. Good roads mean easier and cheaper transportation of goods and services. It means jobs. It means we get to enjoy our Mustangs.
3. Toll Roads cost more and are not equal. A heavy SUV pays the same toll rate as that Aveo, even though the Aveo puts less wear on the road. Tolls can be (and in this area) are more expensive. For instance, in my old job I used to drive from Lake Dallas to Perot Systems in Plano. I have to drive through three toll gates at 75 cents each for a total of 3 bucks a day. If the GWB parkway had instead been built off a 5 cent increase in gas taxes I would be paying roughly 10 cents a day in extra taxes instead of tolls. That assumes I'm getting about 20mpg on a 20 mile commute.

Let me emphasis this. I have absolutely NO support for a gas tax that is basically a punitive tax used to change driving habits. For one, they don't work because everyone HAS to drive. They are just an excuse to tax the shit out of all of us. Secondly they are extremely painful to those in lower income brackets and affect them unfairly. To even suggest such a tax is either stupidity or an ignorance of reality.

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 03:28 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Bush loves him some big oil... men.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 07:35 PM

Oil

BOSTON TEA PARTY RING A BELL ??
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Bush loves him some big oil... men.
Sorry...couldn't resist.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Bullet Sponge

I just got back from visiting my wife's family in New Zealand. You want to hear BS? They are paying 2 bucks a liter. 8 bucks a gallon! And their inspection stickers are good for 6 months and cost a couple hundred bucks at a time and diesel cars are taxed several hundred bucks per 10k driving.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost
I just got back from visiting my wife's family in New Zealand. You want to hear BS? They are paying 2 bucks a liter. 8 bucks a gallon! And their inspection stickers are good for 6 months and cost a couple hundred bucks at a time and diesel cars are taxed several hundred bucks per 10k driving.
Sounds like another outa control government.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement