Republicans like McCain most, but Obama not too far behind - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Republicans like McCain most, but Obama not too far behind

Keep in mind, this is the Washington Times, one of the most conservative major papers in the country.

My concern here is that Obama has enough popularity to siphon vote away from McCain in the General Election. Which goes back to my argument, a vote for Hillary today is a vote for McCain in November.

Quote:
Republicans like Sen. Barack Obama nearly as much as they like their own likely presidential nominee, Sen. John McCain, according to a new Fox 5/The Washington Times/Rasmussen Reports poll.

The survey determined that a quarter of self-identified Republicans rated Mr. McCain most likable, but nearly as many — 23 percent — chose Mr. Obama as most likable. And among all adults surveyed, Mr. Obama was rated likable by more people than Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Mr. McCain combined, underscoring the Illinois senator's appeal to voters across the political spectrum.

"There is something about Barack Obama that is hard to capture in polling and it's an enthusiasm, it's a freshness, it's an excitement he can generate that will certainly be a factor in the campaign," said pollster Scott Rasmussen.

Mr. Obama said his message and his brand of campaigning will help him compete in states traditionally hostile to Democrats, and the poll numbers suggest an opening for that approach.

By contrast, likability has never been Mr. McCain's strong suit — even long-shot Republican candidate Mike Huckabee was rated more likable in the poll, both among all adults and Republicans specifically. Mr. McCain instead is betting on his national-security credentials, and there the survey shows him topping both Democrats combined.

Mr. McCain led with 39 percent to Mr. Obama's 17 percent and Mrs. Clinton's 19 percent when those surveyed were asked who "will be the toughest on matters of national security." Even among self-identified Democrats, Mr. McCain fared decently with one in five rating him toughest.

Mr. McCain is well-aware of his advantage on that score, accusing Mr. Obama last week of misreading the terrorist threat in Iraq.

"I've been involved in every major national security challenge for the last 20 years," the Arizona senator said.

Mr. Obama responded last week that Mr. McCain's experience didn't help him make the right judgment on the war by supporting the invasion in the first place.

Mr. McCain will wrap up the Republican nomination if he sweeps primaries in Vermont, Rhode Island, Texas and Ohio today. Mrs. Clinton, meanwhile, trails Mr. Obama in delegates needed to win the Democratic nomination, and is looking for wins today to help her regain momentum.

Mr. Rasmussen said part of the New York senator's strategy has been to try to poke holes in Mr. Obama's veneer, and that has paid off in the past few days by removing some of the shine.

"That's the sort of challenge that Barack Obama is going to face — he's got to convert that intangible into something when the questions come," Mr. Rasmussen said.

But Mr. Obama brings more than just likability. Despite facing candidates with far more experience in government, he was rated smartest by 26 percent of those polled, more so than Mrs. Clinton, who won 22 percent, and Mr. McCain, who garnered 17 percent. Mr. Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor, was fourth with 10 percent.

Even among Democrats, Mr. Obama was rated smartest by nearly half — a full 10 percentage points more than Mrs. Clinton.

Mr. Obama also was wildly popular among independents and third-party members, 41 percent of whom rated him most likable.

The poll of 1,000 adults was taken Feb. 26 and 27, and found independent candidate Ralph Nader trailed on every measure, coming in below Rep. Ron Paul, Texas Republican, on likability, toughness on national security and on smarts.

A plurality of those polled said they thought Mr. Nader's new presidential bid will hurt Democrats most, with more than half of self-identified Democrats thinking he will hurt their chances this year.

In 2000, many Democrats blamed Mr. Nader's independent bid for siphoning off votes from their candidate, Al Gore, helping then-Gov. George W. Bush win the White House.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Out

The wife and I are voting and caucusing tonight... then try to sneak in a little cockusing as well
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 08:28 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

I like Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson, doesn't mean they'd make a good president. Personally I can't stand Obama and I think McCain is a pompous ass but of the two I think McCain would do a better job running this country.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
The wife and I are voting and caucusing tonight... then try to sneak in a little cockusing as well
Use it or lose it.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

There isn't a really good choice among the three...

Hitlary = vitriolic power hungry bitch

Obama = inexperienced and liberal

McCain = more of the same old white guy crap

What a shame it is that this is the best our political partys can come up with to lead our country.

mardyn

R.I.P. James E. Berry 01/03/57-- 01/14/05

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Lifer

I think Obama is likable, but he won't get my vote.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardyn
There isn't a really good choice among the three...

Hitlary = vitriolic power hungry bitch

Obama = inexperienced and liberal

McCain = more of the same old white guy crap

What a shame it is that this is the best our political partys can come up with to lead our country.

mardyn
Not quite true. The best our political party can come up with won't run.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 Notch
I think Obama is likable, but he won't get my vote.
Ya, I can see him being a likable guy, aside from the fact that he's the beginning of the end for this country.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Ya, I can see him being a likable guy, aside from the fact that he's the beginning of the end for this country.
And that's why I don't like him.

That and he's the bastard child of Joel Olsteen and the Rock, two people I don't really care for either.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
And that's why I don't like him.

That and he's the bastard child of Joel Olsteen and the Rock, two people I don't really care for either.
LMFAO!!!
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Really? It's that apocalyptic for you? I'm sorry, but if George Bush and all of his experience (he had none, compared to the 3 frontrunners, today) couldn't bring this country to non-existance, I'm pretty sure Barack Obama won't, either.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
I like Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson, doesn't mean they'd make a good president. Personally I can't stand Obama and I think McCain is a pompous ass but of the two I think McCain would do a better job running this country.
Tom Cruise, the interplanetary religious leader, and Mel Gibson, the anti-semite, aren't exactly good names to drop as actors you like, when, in the same sentence, promoting McCain.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpamp
Really? It's that apocalyptic for you? I'm sorry, but if George Bush and all of his experience (he had none, compared to the 3 frontrunners, today) couldn't bring this country to non-existance, I'm pretty sure Barack Obama won't, either.
Bush had no experience compared to who?!?! The ONLY one with any executive experience as of now is Huckleberry and he's going nowhere. Bush was a governor. We've just got a few over-glorified senators running now. Big whoop

Obama has too much that he thinks he'd need to prove once he could get into Office. Starting with moving the troops out of the Middle East at an irresponsible rate. Apocalyptic for me?!?! Shit, bro... apocalyptic for ALL OF US!
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:49 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Tom Cruise, the interplanetary religious leader, and Mel Gibson, the anti-semite, aren't exactly good names to drop as actors you like, when, in the same sentence, promoting McCain.
I said he was a pompous ass, how is that promoting? I also like the pope and that doesn't make me a catholic.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Good luck with that. You can only caucus if you've early voted.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Out

Quote:
Better read up on that. Anyone who votes in the primaries can caucus, which begins 15 minutes after the 7pm voting deadline.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Better read up on that. Anyone who votes in the primaries can caucus, which begins 15 minutes after the 7pm voting deadline.
Denny is right. You can caucus right after the voting ends. Early voting doesn't have anything to do with it...

I'm debating whether or not to head to the Democratic caucus tonight. Billary needs all the help she can get

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
Denny is right. You can caucus right after the voting ends. Early voting doesn't have anything to do with it...

I'm debating whether or not to head to the Democratic caucus tonight. Billary needs all the help she can get
She's getting it from both the wife and your's truely
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:56 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Y'all get ready to say, "President Obama"

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Y'all get ready to say, "President Obama"
Fuck President Obama!!!
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 03:10 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Fuck President Obama!!!
LOL. Just sayin'. I think he has much more of chance today then I gave him credit for 3 months ago. I really thought Hillary would wipe him out but I miscalculated the distrust for the Clintons in the democratic party.

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Out

Quote:
LOL. Just sayin'. I think he has much more of chance today then I gave him credit for 3 months ago. I really thought Hillary would wipe him out but I miscalculated the distrust for the Clintons in the democratic party.
You're about to make me cry because you're not wrong too often
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Lifer

Quote:
You keep showing your lack of basic understanding of the topic at hand and you still keep posting. (see post 13 for more than just me saying it)

How sad it is for you sick fuck.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Lifer

Quote:
//shakes head// Ignorant post #2 in this thread alone// shakes head//

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Lifer

Quote:
She's getting it from both the wife and your's truely
LOL, I hope she doesn't put too much stock in how many votes she gets in this primary. LOL

<-- 2 more over here from my wife and I.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I really think Hillary aligned her Senate votes to win the general election by going moderate and forgot to take into account how powerful the extreme left was in her party. It probably cost her the nomination.

Hillary voted #15 most liberal and lost to the #1 most liberal voter.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 03:52 PM
makin' bacon

Quote:
You would be surprised at how many people feel the same way, 3/4 of the folks I have personally spoken to in the last month or so have mentioned the same. I honestly feel we (as a country) are circling the bowl, and this guy will have his hand on the flush handle. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the end come as our country has needed a reboot for a while, but I hate that my wife and kids will have to endure it.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 04:20 PM

Sorry. Thought I heard you couldn't caucus unless you voted in early voting. I haven't read up on caucus, because I can't make it out to do it.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
You would be surprised at how many people feel the same way, 3/4 of the folks I have personally spoken to in the last month or so have mentioned the same. I honestly feel we (as a country) are circling the bowl, and this guy will have his hand on the flush handle. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the end come as our country has needed a reboot for a while, but I hate that my wife and kids will have to endure it.

Stevo
I am actualy in a pretty good place right now for the reboot. I have ample savings, 2 brand new paid off cars that get good mileage, and solid employment that should be reboot-proof. I hate for those who are not in such a solid place, but the reboot may be necessary for the long term future of the country.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

Last edited by 90 Notch; 03-04-2008 at 05:20 PM.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the end come as our country has needed a reboot for a while, but I hate that my wife and kids will have to endure it.

Stevo
That's actually a statement I almost align with. Unfortunately, that would mean that most of my adult life will be a pointless period in which I try my best to get by, and quite frankly I don't want that.

I'm happy enough leaving the mess for another generation.

post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 07:25 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
You would be surprised at how many people feel the same way, 3/4 of the folks I have personally spoken to in the last month or so have mentioned the same.
Stevo
I bet they are all in Texas, also.

If Obama carries the demos, he'll be elected President. Bookmark this post.

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Out

Quote:
Sorry. Thought I heard you couldn't caucus unless you voted in early voting. I haven't read up on caucus, because I can't make it out to do it.
No biggie. I was nominated to go to the county's convention last night after the caucus. LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement