Not so sure i belive it or not time will definatly tell though - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
MadMax404m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: carrollton
Posts: 1,275
Not so sure i belive it or not time will definatly tell though

It is a very long article but it is very informative if you belive it or not, i still cant come to the conclusion i doubt its all true though

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

71 Camaro 355sbc 6.472 @ 104mph/10.311 @ 128
Powered by: Tripp Motorsports E85 carburetor

NHRA Super Street-4040
IHRA Hot Rod-404
NHRA ET-404M
IHRA SSS-4X4M

How am I supposed to get my own T-Shirt with all those different numbers?
MadMax404m is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 01:56 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
 
01WhiteCobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Where's my beer?
Posts: 21,924

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
01WhiteCobra is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 01:58 PM
American Badass
 
SMOKEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Grayson County
Posts: 4,474
Sounds like a scare tactic to me.

'90 LX fastback 5.0 White with porno red interior. (SLOW PONY)
Classic Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaithis
"Still angry? A post like that makes me think you tasted someones dick at some point in your life."
SMOKEY is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
MadMax404m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: carrollton
Posts: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra

Whats really bad is my entire name is from mad max and his movies, my middle name is logan from logans run lmao

71 Camaro 355sbc 6.472 @ 104mph/10.311 @ 128
Powered by: Tripp Motorsports E85 carburetor

NHRA Super Street-4040
IHRA Hot Rod-404
NHRA ET-404M
IHRA SSS-4X4M

How am I supposed to get my own T-Shirt with all those different numbers?
MadMax404m is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.
 
Slowhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room
Posts: 12,279
look on the left side of that page...what do you see?

advertisements.

Slowhand is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,017
Obama will save us from any hardships as he saves the planet
Mr Majestyk is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SW Fort Worth
Posts: 497
The article is very similar to the bestseller "The Long Emergency," which chronicles the slow, downward spiral to zero petroleum: no more air travel, no more trucking, etc. Cities crumble, infrastructures melt-down, crime and lawlessness rises and life as we know it today ceases to exist.

The author goes on to hypothesize that the US will slowly be forced to return to a more agrarian style of country not unlike life around the turn of the 20th century, where we relied on horses, farming and skilled trades (shoemaker, carpenter, etc) to survive. None of us will venture too far from home anymore, except for some train travel as there will still be enough coal to power locomotives. The author suggests securing rural property near a rail head to prepare for the new reality of no oil and no gasoline.

Scary stuff, no doubt, for a society that's taken plentiful and generally cheap gasoline for granted for decades. Hopefully I won't live to see it.
Big Pencil is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.
 
Slowhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room
Posts: 12,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pencil
The article is very similar to the bestseller "The Long Emergency," which chronicles the slow, downward spiral to zero petroleum: no more air travel, no more trucking, etc. Cities crumble, infrastructures melt-down, crime and lawlessness rises and life as we know it today ceases to exist.

The author goes on to hypothesize that the US will slowly be forced to return to a more agrarian style of country not unlike life around the turn of the 20th century, where we relied on horses, farming and skilled trades (shoemaker, carpenter, etc) to survive. None of us will venture too far from home anymore, except for some train travel as there will still be enough coal to power locomotives. The author suggests securing rural property near a rail head to prepare for the new reality of no oil and no gasoline.

Scary stuff, no doubt, for a society that's taken plentiful and generally cheap gasoline for granted for decades. Hopefully I won't live to see it.
HA!

There may be a day in my lifetime in which we are, for all intents and purposes, out of oil, but the resources are there for plenty of alternative fuels in the future. If you really think that we will regress back to a late 19th century style of living, you're poorly mistaken.

Slowhand is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SW Fort Worth
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
HA!

There may be a day in my lifetime in which we are, for all intents and purposes, out of oil, but the resources are there for plenty of alternative fuels in the future. If you really think that we will regress back to a late 19th century style of living, you're poorly mistaken.

I don't necessarily believe it, but the author of the book seems to.

He bases much of his predictions on the fact that there are no alternative fuels capable of lifting and powering a large jet aircraft, and that there are still few good alternatives to gasoline that provide as much energy, mileage, range for passenger vehicles and the trucking industry.

Regardless, it is very hard to believe it could all grind to a halt. But as stated earlier, time will eventually tell.
Big Pencil is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 03:29 PM
IA2
 
mikeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 22,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pencil
I don't necessarily believe it, but the author of the book seems to.

He bases much of his predictions on the fact that there are no alternative fuels capable of lifting and powering a large jet aircraft, and that there are still few good alternatives to gasoline that provide as much energy, mileage, range for passenger vehicles and the trucking industry.

Regardless, it is very hard to believe it could all grind to a halt. But as stated earlier, time will eventually tell.
I believe that virgin just had a bio fueled powered jet flight. So it is possible. The articles also leave out the possibility of using nuclear power or coal for electricity generation instead of oil. Bio diesel could certainly be used to power farm equipment. Ethanol could be produced to provide a general purpose fuel. Coal can be gasified to produce many of the same things that oil is used for today. Will there be enough fuel to go around to support today's lifestyles? no. Like someone else said, lifestyles will be forced to return to agrarian mode. The farm will return as the center of life. I feel bad for those trapped in large cities should this scenario ever come about. Chances are they'll get killed before escaping the city.

If oil does in fact dry up the effects are going to be unimaginable for the unprepared. The prepared will already have bought some arable land and will have established gardens and will have stored away ample supplies of canned food. Their houses will run without power from the grid. Sort of the survivalists dream.

Another thing not said is that some countries will still have plenty of oil and money, and these countries could surely invade and occupy the US, pillaging it of whatever they want and leaving the rest. I can see a day if oil drys up that countries still having oil will refuse to sell it on the open market, reserving it for their own country's use.

Like it was said above I hope not to live to see it happen.
mikeb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome