Amended Dem vs. Republican list.... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Amended Dem vs. Republican list....

I saw a list of things posted by redhead in another thread. I thought it had liberal bias, so I posted it unedited and then posted my edited version. Enjoy!

Here is the original article posted by redhead:

This article breaks down the traditional differences between Democrats and Republicans on main issues. The two most prominent parties in the United States are the Republican and Democrat parties. Republicans are considered conservative while Democrats are labeled as liberal. As you read this article, the current party platforms will reveal the current positions that each party traditionally holds.

With accusations flying and the barb trading between each party, it can be hard to tell where they stand on certain issues. The most “controversial” issues are listed below with each party's view.

Abortion
Democrats: It's the woman's right to choose and should therefore be legal

Republicans: It should not be legal and the government should restrict it as such.

Gun Control Laws
Democrats: More gun control laws are needed to address a seemly growing problem with guns

Republicans: Oppose more gun control laws, citing that it's not what the Constitution calls for.

Discrimination
Democrats: It's up to the government to step in and provide a “net” to victims of this practice

Republicans: Strong anti-discrimination laws are unnecessary. People have morals, as they say, and should be given the benefit of the doubt

Military
Democrats: Prefers a decrease military spending. This party also likes to utilize NATO and the UN; never wanting to truly go in “alone” on world issues.

Republicans: They are known for increasing military spending. They also tend to want to stand alone when dealing with NATO and the United Nations.

Gay Rights
Democrats: Usually for gays rights and believe it's apart of their civil rights to be with whom ever they choose.

Republicans: Tend to hold the view that marriage should be between people of the opposite sex, not the same.

Minimum Wage
Democrats: Favor the workers and always seem to support minimum wage hikes.

Republicans: Don't normally favor minimum wage increases because they say is hurts businesses.

Death Penalty
Democrats: Does not agree with taking someone's life as a means of discipline.

Republicans: The death penalty is necessary to curb violent crimes.

Prayer in schools
Democrats: There should be a separation between church and state

Republicans: It's apart of our nation's culture to place prayer in school and keep it that way.

Flag Burning:
Democrats: Flag burning is acceptable because it falls under freedom of speech

Republicans: Flag burning is unacceptable and is not what the constitution intended.

Natural Environment:
Democrats: The environment needs to be protected and it's the government's job to enforce laws against harming the environment.

Republicans: Have some environment laws but don't make them too strong, could do more harm than good.

Taxes:
Democrats: The people with the most money should pay the most taxes, tax increases are mostly good.

Republicans: the entire economy can benefit if taxes remain relatively low, tax cuts are the way to go.

It must be said that these are the positions each party holds traditionally. Each candidate can hold to these views point strictly or they can mix it up a bit. It's not uncommon to find a “liberal republican” or a “conservative democrat”. When it's all said and done, it really depends on the person. Please note that most democrats and republicans differ on the main issues as listed above.

Here is one with conservative leaning in the questions instead of the liberal leanings of the original:

Abortion
Democrats: It's the woman's right to choose to end the life

Republicans: against ending innocent life.

Gun Control Laws
Democrats: More gun control laws are needed because citizens cannot be trusted

Republicans: Oppose any gun control laws, citing that it's against the Constitution.

Discrimination
Democrats: It's up to the government to step in and provide a “net” to anyone who “feels” they have been discriminated against.

Republicans: Strong anti-discrimination laws are unnecessary. People have morals and should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Military
Democrats: wants to decrease military spending because it cuts into entitlements and other discretionary spending. This party also advocates giving NATO and the UN control over our military and advocates negotiating with terrorists and terrorist lead states.

Republicans: They want a strong military and want the UN and NATO to assist in military missions, but when national security dictates, they will not tell us what to do.

Gay Marraige
Democrats: wants to give them this privilege.

Republicans: believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and it is a privilege not a right.

Minimum Wage
Democrats: Favors dictating to businesses how much they should pay their workers, whether or not they can allow smokers or other people who are doing legal activities in their business.

Republicans: wants the markets to dictate what wages should be, not government.

Death Penalty
Democrats: Does not agree with this punishment, not even for the most heinous of crimes.

Republicans: The death penalty is a necessary punishment for violent homicides.

Prayer in schools
Democrats: There should be a complete separation between church and state, even to the point of stopping a child from bringing a Bible on campus or from students to pray on campus.

Republicans: It's a part of our nation's culture to have private prayer in school and keep it that way.

Flag Burning:
Democrats: Flag burning is acceptable because it falls under freedom of speech

Republicans: Flag burning is unacceptable and is not what the constitution intended.

Natural Environment:
Democrats: The environment needs to be protected, even if it costs jobs and hurts humans.

Republicans: Have environment laws but don't make them without thought to the unintended consequences.

Taxes:
Democrats: The people with the most money should pay the most taxes, poor people should not have to pay taxes, and tax increases are always a good thing.

Republicans: the entire economy can benefit if taxes remain low, tax cuts are the way to go.

It must be said that these are the positions each party holds traditionally. Each candidate can hold to these views point strictly or they can mix it up a bit. It's not uncommon to find a “liberal republican” or a “conservative democrat”. When it's all said and done, it really depends on the person. Please note that most democrats and republicans differ on the main issues as listed above.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 12:13 AM
Lifer

redhead's version is what i would agree with in most regards.

your version is influenced with conservative bias, just as you see redhead's version being liberally biased.

not necessarily a bad thing, but this thread just demonstrates that everyone has a different paradigm. it also exhorts the futility of arguing semantics in these types of debates. each side is essentially saying the same thing, but with different phrasing/diction.

i don't think there is any real way to be objective when you subscribe to one particular political ideology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 AM

I don't see it as that simple, especially as there's no single republican view on many issues - the paleocons, neocons, RLC types, etc. would disagree with each other

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Gun Control Laws
Giuliani, Romney: More gun control laws are needed to address a seemly growing problem with guns

Richardson: Oppose more gun control laws, citing that it's not what the Constitution calls for.
dark times indeed. I think I saw a flock of pigs flying overhead....
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
redhead's version is what i would agree with in most regards.
I figured as much, do you admit it is left leaning pretty badly in it's wording?

Quote:
your version is influenced with conservative bias, just as you see redhead's version being liberally biased.
Did you miss this line in the post?

"Here is one with conservative leaning in the questions instead of the liberal leanings of the original: "

Quote:
not necessarily a bad thing, but this thread just demonstrates that everyone has a different paradigm. it also exhorts the futility of arguing semantics in these types of debates. each side is essentially saying the same thing, but with different phrasing/diction.

i don't think there is any real way to be objective when you subscribe to one particular political ideology.
This was pretty much meant as humor, nothing much more which is why I gave very little personal comment and declared it a conservative twist on the original liberal twist. I could do a moderate one, something like this:

Abortion:

Dems: for it.
Republicans: against it.

Death Penalty:

Dems: against it
Republicnas: for it.

This doesn't mean all Dems are for it or that all Republicans are against it, but the heads of the party's sure tend to have those stances pretty consistently IMO.

I thought this paragraph at the end actually summed it up also, but I guess some missed it also.

"It must be said that these are the positions each party holds traditionally. Each candidate can hold to these viewpoints strictly or they can mix it up a bit. It's not uncommon to find a “liberal republican” or a “conservative democrat”. When it's all said and done, it really depends on the person. Please note that most democrats and republicans differ on the main issues as listed above."

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Oh MM2000, are you here?

Bueller? Bueller?

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Secular Dogooderist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
dark times indeed. I think I saw a flock of pigs flying overhead....
War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
This will help everyone out, check it.
It is time we acknowledged a basic feature of human discourse: when considering the truth of a proposition, one is either engaged in an honest appraisal of the evidence and logical arguments, or one is not. Religion is the one area of our lives where people imagine that some other standard of intellectual integrity applies.
-Sam Harris
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 07:30 PM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra
War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength.
Lettuce is green, tomatoes are red, and the cheese is yellow...

Remember, always in that order!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Secular Dogooderist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466
Lettuce is green, tomatoes are red, and the cheese is yellow...

Remember, always in that order!
Always in mind, forever in my heart!

Hey man, at least I'm not workin for someone else's dollar, right?

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
It is time we acknowledged a basic feature of human discourse: when considering the truth of a proposition, one is either engaged in an honest appraisal of the evidence and logical arguments, or one is not. Religion is the one area of our lives where people imagine that some other standard of intellectual integrity applies.
-Sam Harris
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 07:38 PM
PAN

Quote:
Always in mind, forever in my heart!

Hey man, at least I'm not workin for someone else's dollar, right?

And agreed. Whcih makes you a conservative, btw...
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466

And agreed. Whcih makes you a conservative, btw...
LOL, he has no conservative blood in his body.

<--- hopes he will respond so that I can grill him on the topic of the thread.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Secular Dogooderist

I don't use those nasty words...

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
-Sam Harris
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
I don't use those nasty words...
Translation: I am a puss and know I will get fronted for what I am by someone outside of taco land.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Secular Dogooderist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 Notch
Translation: I am a puss and know I will get fronted for what I am by someone outside of taco land.
Translation:

I'll never make more than $40k in a year.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
-Sam Harris
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Translation:

I'll never make more than $40k in a year.
Would you like to make a little wager on our tax returns from last year on who made more taco boy? BTW, it better be alot closer to 100K if you have any chance of winning.

You know so little about things, I think you probably should not be making tacos, they do require some skill.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Secular Dogooderist

Quote:
Would you like to make a little wager on our tax returns from last year on who made more taco boy? BTW, it better be alot closer to 100K if you have any chance of winning.

You know so little about things, I think you probably should not be making tacos, they do require some skill.
A cop? making 100K a year?? Baaaaahahahahahahaha You must be a power seller on e-bay or something. Oh hey don't get mad, piggy boy. You're nothing but a mole on the ass of society, and you still can't do anything about it. Good job Barney Fife.

And this day in age, 100k a year is nothing to brag about, piggy boy.

I laugh at you...

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
-Sam Harris
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 09:02 PM
PAN

Quote:
A

27K was the median income last time I looked...
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Secular Dogooderist

wow, that's horrible.

And base cop pay is $35k annually, that's ridiculous. That's why most of them are fucking crooked on a power trip who get to play vigilante and carry a gun around.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
-Sam Harris
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
A cop? making 100K a year?? Baaaaahahahahahahaha You must be a power seller on e-bay or something. Oh hey don't get mad, piggy boy. You're nothing but a mole on the ass of society, and you still can't do anything about it. Good job Barney Fife.

I laugh at you...
Apparently my tax return, which shows how much I made, is more than yours or else you would have jumped at the chance, right?

<--- Wishes one of these liberal idiots would take me up on a challenge for a change.

I guess being an employee at taco land is not all it is cracked up to be, huh?

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
wow, that's horrible.

And base cop pay is $35k annually, that's ridiculous. That's why most of them are fucking crooked on a power trip who get to play vigilante and carry a gun around.
What is base pay in taco land?

BTW, I think base pay for rookies in our academy is 44K. I am far from base pay after 20 years and 2 promotions taco boy.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Oh MM2000, are you here?

Bueller? Bueller?
I read it, but I didn't really have a response.

That one particular paragraph pretty much sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
I read it, but I didn't really have a response.

That one particular paragraph pretty much sums it up.
OK, fair enough.

On a side note, where did zurethra go? LOL

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

Sponsored Links
Advertisement