Nevada town targets illegal immigrants! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
CJD
Time Served

Nevada town targets illegal immigrants!

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho.../10847735.html

After a heated public meeting Tuesday night that was repeatedly interrupted by boos and applause, the Pahrump Town Board adopted an ordinance that targets illegal immigrants.

The ordinance declares English the town's official language, sets restrictions on flying foreign flags and denies town benefits to undocumented immigrants.

Approval of the ordinance was met with a standing ovation and cheers by many of the approximately 250 people at the meeting.

One man wore a stars and stripes bandana on his head and a T-shirt that said: Speak English or get the (expletive) out.

Another proponent, Elliott Brainard, who identified himself as a naval officer who served during World War II, said, "These people who don't speak English ... take money and support away from our citizens who need it."

Another man, who said he was an Army veteran, said since this is the United States, there should be only one language.

"I go bananas when I go to Wal-Mart, put my credit card in and they ask me if I want English only," he said.

About a dozen audience members spoke during the hour-long public hearing. The comments were about evenly divided for and against the ordinance.

Most of those for the ordinance said the federal government has failed to deal with immigration issues and has forced leaders of cities and towns to take matters into their own hands.

Those who spoke against the ordinance, like Pahrump resident Vicky Parker, were roundly booed by other audience members.

Parker told the board that she was "appalled at the overt Hispano-phobia going on."

"In the United States people have the freedom to speak in any language, not just English," she said.

Lee Rowland, staff attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada, was called "evil" by one audience member and was heckled throughout her three-minute comment period.

Rowland told the crowd the treatment was "fine."

"I like a feisty crowd," she said.

Rowland told the board that the ordinance has nothing to do with patriotism, immigration or what sort of language is heard at Wal-Mart.

"What patriotism really means is our Constitution and our Bill of Rights," she said. "Our freedom is based on our ability to express ourselves as Americans."

Rowland said the section of the ordinance that disallows a solo display of a foreign flag is clearly unconstitutional. She warned that was opening the door for litigation.

"If you pass an ordinance that is blatantly in violation of the First Amendment, this town will be on the hook" for a lawsuit, she said.

The board adopted the ordinance with a 3-2 vote.

Richard Billman, the town board chairman, called it unnecessary and unenforceable.

Board member Laurayne Murray said she was bothered by the section that denies benefits to undocumented immigrants without identifying what those benefits are.

Most everyone agreed that not much will change with the ordinance's adoption.

The town's business is already conducted in English, the ordinance regulating the display of flags won't be enforced, and the town has no real "benefits" it can take away because public aid there is administered by the state or the county, officials said.

The ordinance is a stripped down version of a previous proposal by town board member Michael Miraglia. The original version also would have made it illegal to hire, do business with or loan money to illegal immigrants.

Miraglia said he proposed the "English Language and Patriot Affirmation" ordinance after getting tired of encountering people who don't speak English.

He toned down the ordinance a bit because the town doesn't have the money or resources to go after employers and landlords.

Tuesday night, Miraglia said the ordinance was "for all our servicemen and women who died for our country."

But earlier in the day, Lucero Enrriquez, an immigrant from Mexico who lives in Pahrump, said racism is the true inspiration for the ordinance.

The 30-year-old owner of Mi Ranchita market couldn't think of any other reason anyone would want to pass laws that she says target immigrants, documented or not.

"We come here to work, and we work very hard," Enrriquez said in Spanish while ringing up non-Hispanic customers who were buying tacos, fresh guacamole and Mexican pastries.

Enrriquez said she didn't understand why an ordinance was needed to declare English the official language.

"It already is," she said.

Her English is passable but not perfect, she said.

"Some of us don't speak English well," she said of herself and her Hispanic employees. "But a taco is a taco, carne asada is carne asada in Spanish or English. Why should we be forced to speak English?"

Still, Enrriquez said, she will respect any ordinance that is passed. She will even remove the painting of a flag with the colors of Mexico from her building.

"I'll take it off," she said, shaking her head. "But I have to let people know it's a Mexican market somehow."

George Romero, the owner of Romero's Mexican restaurant a few miles away from Mi Ranchita, also blamed racism for the ordinance; but, he said, it was the racism of one man, Michael Miraglia, not the entire town.

"Most people are not in favor of it," said Romero, who helps organize the town's annual Cinco de Mayo festival. "It's just a handful of people who support it. The problem is that others (who would oppose it) don't know about it."

Pahrump as a whole is a very accepting community, he said. But when Romero chose to close his business on May 1 to show support for immigrants' rights, vandals painted slurs on the windows of his restaurant, he said.

"It was nasty, nasty stuff," he said, declining to be more specific.

Romero said one person also left a post-it note with a message: "Don't bite the hand that feeds you."

He said both the official language and flag portions of the ordinance are "silly."

At the last Cinco de Mayo festival, 75 percent of the attendees were non-Hispanic, "And they didn't say, 'Don't wave the Mexican flag.' We did it respectfully with both (the Mexican and U.S.) flags."

Miraglia countered the racism allegations aimed at him by turning them around.

"Who's refusing to speak English? The ones promoting that people should speak their own language are racist," he said.

Town Manager David Richards said the ordinance is meant as a statement "that this is America and we speak English here."

"Everyone should speak English, and if you are going to move here then you ought to respect the American flag and fly it in prominence," Richards said.

Miraglia said he hoped the ordinance "gets the ball rolling" for other cities.

"We have to start somewhere," he said, "and in the state of Nevada the town of Pahrump is going to be the start."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 06:20 PM
PAN

Amen. Call me racist if you please, but I do hope that between this and Farmers Branch we are seeing the beginning of a movement.

This country simply cannot support the strain/drain that is being placed on it. ALL of our livliehoods depend on shutting down this influx of illegals. Whether you admit it or not, this is the truth.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466
Amen. Call me racist if you please, but I do hope that between this and Farmers Branch we are seeing the beginning of a movement.

This country simply cannot support the strain/drain that is being placed on it. ALL of our livliehoods depend on shutting down this influx of illegals. Whether you admit it or not, this is the truth.
x2

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Lifer

Im all about mexicans coming over and getting legalized, just not being here illegally. It does mathematically cost us in the long run.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 07:37 PM

Another Tiny Step!.....keep It Up!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I thought there was a town in the NE that did something similar also but, ACLU or not at least something is happening other than sitting around saying "well there's nothing we can do..."

I'm not one to say "well I dont have a problem with it as long as they become legal..." We got enough to take care of for now! Slow it the fuck down til we can figure some things out!

There are plenty of them already here to document then:
GOTTA TELL MR. BUSINESS GUY IF YOU WANT TO HIRE ILLEGALS IT'S GONNA COST YA...BIG! Won't need a fence. No work, no wets. Oh yeah, and cut off their free health care!!!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 06:24 AM
PAN

We're slowly making progress with you Black01GT. Give us another year or two and we'll have you changing your voter registration...

But we do need a fence. Otherwise it won't stop, regardless of what measures are passed. Laws are ignored everyday, and these measures that are being passed will no doubt be difficult to be enforced, just as the current immigration laws are ignored all day every day. In the end, it will require enforcement, not new legislation to get this job done...
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:24 AM
Lifer

Quote:
We're slowly making progress with you Black01GT. Give us another year or two and we'll have you changing your voter registration...
I doubt it.

When was the last time the Republicans voted for anything like this? All hype and no action. They never intend to fix this problem. They intend to string you along, thinking they will, and then vote the way the business owners who are paying them off tell them to.

If there was no lobbying, this would not have EVER been an issue in the first place. Both parties are responsible for fucking over the American voter.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird
I doubt it.

When was the last time the Republicans voted for anything like this? All hype and no action. They never intend to fix this problem. They intend to string you along, thinking they will, and then vote the way the business owners who are paying them off tell them to.

If there was no lobbying, this would not have EVER been an issue in the first place. Both parties are responsible for fucking over the American voter.
YEP!!! I agree
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:41 AM
PAN

Absolutely agreed. And it will get better no time soon.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAD06
x2
x5
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I doubt it.

While I agree that is has political influence, I also believe that these ordinances are being started by people who are really concerned with making a change and not just to get votes. Hopefully, there will be enough action by local governments to force the state and federal govts to take real action. If we all begin to not particpate in our govt because we lose faith in it, then we WILL lose control of our ability to make a change. That will be a shame.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Time Served

no matter how many little cities pass a law , illegals will never go away because of the fed. gov. big cities that really matter wont even touch the subject..
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 12:12 PM
Project X in tha Works

I understand about being concearned by illegal immigration but how the hell is
adopting English as an official language going to help that out?There are plenty of
people who are American citizens who speak Spanish because of their latin origins.Should they be chastised also by a blatantly racist law such as that one.If
you are going to target illegal immigration then target that,not a complete culture.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst_stng
adopting English as an official language going to help that out?There are plenty of
people who are American citizens who speak Spanish because of their latin origins.Should they be chastised also by a blatantly racist law such as that one.If
you are going to target illegal immigration then target that,not a complete culture.
Really dude, don't be stupid.

No one is outlawing Spanish.

It's just just time to make all government and medical discussions take place in ENGLISH. Do you want to die because you can't communicate to the doctor that you're allergic to penicillin? No? Then learn ENGLISH.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
CJD
Time Served

Quote:
I doubt it.

Well I admit,I knew it was happening,but I didn't get really emotional about this issue until I saw them take to our streets,DEMANDING rights as if this were their country,flying the fucking Mexican flag,playing in the pond downtown,and storming city hall.

Part of the problem were the Senate Republicans. The House Republicans tried to come up with enforcement first bills,but the Senate Republicans voted them down.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
CJD
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst_stng
No. Part of becoming an American is knowing English,yet ALOT of Illegals are coming here and not learning any English. This shit about how people who want English as the official language don't want people speaking Spanish is a huge reactionary,mischaracterization of the purpose of the law. When you go to Mexico you have to learn Spanish to get around. It's the same in every other country except South Africa,and Canada. So why shouldn't it be that way here? This is not "little Mexico",this is the United States of America. When they insist on only speaking and knowing Spanish,it means that they don't want to integrate,and want to stay "Mexicans" instead of "Americans". If illegals would learn English,they could still speak Spanish,and NOBODY would have a problem with it.

I GUARENTEE you that if there were alot of french people here who spoke only French,we'd feel the same way. Has NOTHING to do with race. You sound like a Democrat.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 04:44 PM
The Janitor

Try to go to mexico and get any documentation there in english. Is it wrong that they force the use of spanish? No. Its their right as a sovereign nation, and our duty as tourists/visitors to learn their ways/customs/laws/and practices, or stay the **** out of the way.

Learning spanish is an excellent laungage, and a beautiful one, but when you cry innocence and ignorance of american traffic laws/civil laws because you are too busy wrapped up in your own mexican culture to explore the greater societies culture, it better be your ass, and as of right now the case is that they get off the hook.

Mexicans are like the irish of the 1800's, except the difference is that the irish came legally and contributed quickly. We did the saaame jobs that mexicans now do, except about 3x as dangerous such as railroad work and coal mining. Every immigrant wave takes their lumps, but this one is the one that is getting free health care and wiring their money back to the home country to be spent elsewhere.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

Pahrump sucks ftw.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
CJD
Time Served

According to polls,48% of Latinos in Arizona voted to make English the Official Language of Arizona.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 05:11 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

that means 52% of them are douchebags.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I doubt it.

You got it! Just for the record I wouldn't give you squat for dems or repubs! What's the difference? A whore is a whore. Like Kinky sez, "they look like the same guy admiring himself in the mirror". A bunch of suckasses just waiting for the lobbiest to come and court em. THEY DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT YOU AND ME...THEY'RE POLITICIANS AND LAWMAKERS SERVING NOTHING BUT THE CORPORATE CLIMATE!

And also for the record before you get too excited about "converting" me. I think BUSH/CHENEY should be cell mates...for a long fucking time...for treason! The above mentioned politicians are just tools for these assholes!

Hope I didn't lose any points...
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 06:55 PM

Tards are sure out tonight!
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 07:06 PM

related story

saw this in the paper this morning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement