Nativist fears cause concern in Farmers Branch - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Nativist fears cause concern in Farmers Branch

Of all the cities around DFW, I never ever would have guessed that Farmers Branch would be the first to try something like this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15686734/

Quote:
Nativist fears cause concern in Farmers Branch

Proposed anti-illegal immigrant law worries Hispanics in Dallas suburb

Updated: 3:07 p.m. CT Nov 12, 2006

FARMERS BRANCH, Texas - This Dallas suburb could become the first city in Texas to adopt a sweeping ordinance intended to keep out illegal immigrants, a cause for concern among its large minority population.

More than 50 municipalities nationwide have considered, passed or rejected laws banning landlords from leasing to illegal immigrants, penalizing businesses that employ undocumented workers and making English the local official language.

But until now, that trend hasn’t been matched in the Lone Star State.

“This is the first town in Texas that had the guts to do what’s right,” Susie Hart, who grew up in Farmers Branch, said during a recent demonstration outside City Hall. “The education system is tanking, health care has gone through the roof, everybody is bilingual.”

Such sentiments and the proposed ordinance trouble many people in Texas, where many Latino families can trace their roots here to the era before statehood.

“This is not just a Farmers Branch problem,” Elizabeth Villafranca said of the proposal.

Villafranca, whose family owns a Mexican restaurant in Farmers Branch, said she worries that such laws will spread to other cities if the City Council approves the proposal. The measure is expected to be submitted to the council on Monday, but there was no indication when it might be put to a vote.

Since 1970, Farmers Branch has changed from a small, predominantly white bedroom community with a declining population to a city of almost 28,000 people, about 37 percent of them Hispanic, according to the census.

It also is home to more than 80 corporate headquarters and more than 2,600 small and mid-size firms, many of them minority-owned.

Increasingly heated issue
The local debate over illegal immigration began in August and spawned demonstrations by both sides of the issue. Council members adopted a resolution criticizing the federal government for not aggressively addressing the issue.

A councilman has given city attorneys drafts of an ordinance that would make English the city’s official language and proposals to fine companies and landlords who do business with illegal immigrants.

The Farmer’s Branch proposal follows a vote this year in Hazleton, Pa., to fine landlords who rent to illegal immigrants, deny business permits to companies that employ them and require tenants to register and pay for a rental permit.

However, a federal judge temporarily blocked enforcement of the Hazleton ordinance while he considers a lawsuit against the town by the Puerto Rican Legal Defense and Education Fund, the American Civil Liberties Union and other groups.

More than a dozen other Pennsylvania cities have taken up similar ordinances, as have several others in the South and a handful in California.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 08:06 PM
mannish boy

lol @ the dumb fuck w/ the "racist" sign
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Meeeeooowww

So if you try and make someone obey the law that means you are racist??

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 11:46 PM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
lol @ the dumb fuck w/ the "racist" sign
I'm wondering if that person could even articulate (without resorting to rhetoric, sound bites, or ad hominem attacks) "why" exactly this is a racist issue.

It used to be a privilege to immigrate to the US, now apparently it has become a "right".
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 05:24 AM
Out

LOL... I bet they had someone write the sign for them!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 07:36 AM
KJ94GT

Enforcing laws is wrong nowadays. If someone breaks the law you should just let them be.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:25 AM
CJD
Time Served

Damn Libs.! All they ever do is throw out the race card!!

Is it just me,or is it annoying to see these guys come out with American flags when before their "P.R." people told them to sport American Flags,most of them were marching OUR streets with MEXICAN flags!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD
Is it just me,or is it annoying to see these guys come out with American flags when before their "P.R." people told them to sport American Flags,most of them were marching OUR streets with MEXICAN flags!
That's because the messican leaders are trying to get them to be PC to win over the bleeding hearts. It's too late, though, because we already know their true allegiance.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 06:36 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

I can't believe these Hispanics crying Racism. It's re-God-damn-diculous.

I'm thinking about standing in the middle of these idiots with my sign saying: "Mi familia imigrante vino aqui legalmente, y aprendio ingles. Por que no puede usted?" And "There is no 'American Dream' without becoming an American!"
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 06:42 AM
Out

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 06:43 AM
African Booty Scratcher

woohoo!!!! sweet now the rest of the illegals will move to carrollton.

god bless.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 06:47 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS
woohoo!!!! sweet now the rest of the illegals will move to carrollton.

god bless.
Bring the % from 95 to 98!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 06:52 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

I also want to stand infront of these protestors with a big sign saying "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU ALL BITCHING ABOUT? YOU ARE LEGAL!!!"
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Lifer

We need to adopt the same immigration laws as Mexico. Problem solved and who can complain. Surely not the Meskin Guvment or it's fugitives.

http://www.mexperience.com/liveandwork/immigration.htm
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:12 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

From WFAA.com

"After all the sound and fury Monday night, comes the reality, a likely lawsuit for the city of Farmers Branch. Protestors chanted, marched and shouted angry arguments outside city hall Monday night, divided over a controversial city ordinance. It would require apartment dwellers to prove their citizenship."

So, even though it's ILLEGAL to be an ILLEGAL ALIEN in this country, they plan on suing because the city is now going to require (which it should have been doing all along) people to provide their citizenship information?!

What's next, ask one of these leeches to watch over my house while I'm on vacation, then come back and have them refuse to move out, then sue me for calling the cops on them?

Someone asked the question to me the other day if I have more of a problem with illegal immigrants, or people living in the projects on food stamps and welfare. My view on this was that, while the people living in the projects don't contribute anything to this society, at least they keep what little money they have in the states and don't send billions of dollars per year to their familes in other countries.

I'm all for the Mexican migration to this country so long as they immigrants go through the proper channels, contibute to our society, don't expect free handouts, and can learn English. That's not too much to ask is it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement