Military Times calls for Rumsfeld resignation. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Military Times calls for Rumsfeld resignation.

The Military Times (Army Times, Air Force Times, Navy Times, Marine Core Times) has written an editorial that directly calls for the resignation of Donald Rumsfeld.

Quote:
“So long as our government requires the backing of an aroused and informed public opinion ... it is necessary to tell the hard bruising truth.”

That statement was written by Pulitzer Prize-winning war correspondent Marguerite Higgins more than a half-century ago during the Korean War.

But until recently, the “hard bruising” truth about the Iraq war has been difficult to come by from leaders in Washington.

One rosy reassurance after another has been handed down by President Bush, Vice President Cheney and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld: “mission accomplished,” the insurgency is “in its last throes,” and “back off,” we know what we’re doing, are a few choice examples.

Military leaders generally toed the line, although a few retired generals eventually spoke out from the safety of the sidelines, inciting criticism equally from anti-war types, who thought they should have spoken out while still in uniform, and pro-war foes, who thought the generals should have kept their critiques behind closed doors.

Now, however, a new chorus of criticism is beginning to resonate. Active-duty military leaders are starting to voice misgivings about the war’s planning, execution and dimming prospects for success.
The rest is here:
http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f...25-2333360.php

This isn't a liberal rag but it isn't the voice of the military either. Stars and Stripes can never write an article like this. However the Military times has done a good job representing US military interests for decades.

I'm all for getting rid of Rummy. IMO, he has done nothing to win this war. He outright lies that the commanders in the field make the decisions on force strength, but shortly after he calls for drawing down troop levels, they have to be raised again because Rummy doesn't listen to people with stars on the shoulder.

IMO if this war is winnable (and that in itself is doubtful) we must make a change. GW completely relies on the Sec of Def for military decisions. That is where change must begin. After that, it would probably be wise to call James Baker into the White House and get his advise.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 08:49 PM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
That is where change must begin. After that, it would probably be wise to call James Baker into the White House and get his advise.
http://www.insightmag.com/Media/MediaManager/Baker.htm
any other advise?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 02:17 PM
ebay pimp

When virtually the entire general staff of the military don't trust the Secretary of Defense, a goverment study and a leading non partisan military publication calls for said person to be relieved.......Rummy needs to go.

Scott

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by White trash wagon
When virtually the entire general staff of the military don't trust the Secretary of Defense, a goverment study and a leading non partisan military publication calls for said person to be relieved.......Rummy needs to go.

Scott
It is interesting that outside of the pentagon Rummy is still fairly popular. The career pentagon senior people are the ones who have a problem with him. The ones who recommended continued bombing of Kosovo after all targets were completely destroyed and nothing was left, for instance.

Kind of an "anti-schwarzkopf". He shouldn't be removed, he needs to stay. Make him secstate under prez Rice
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 11:55 AM
ebay pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
It is interesting that outside of the pentagon Rummy is still fairly popular. The career pentagon senior people are the ones who have a problem with him. The ones who recommended continued bombing of Kosovo after all targets were completely destroyed and nothing was left, for instance.

Kind of an "anti-schwarzkopf". He shouldn't be removed, he needs to stay. Make him secstate under prez Rice

Who do you think deals with Rummy on a daily basis? Senior Pentagon officials, that's who. So when the people he deals with on a daily basis don't like him, it says something.

AS far as Rice running for president, more attention would have to paid to her running mate, as they would become president in a matter of months.

Scott
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Military leaders generally toed the line
Am I the only one who noticed that they are calling out Rumsfield but didn't even take the time to proof read their shit?

I'm not saying they are wrong or right it just loses some credibility when a publisher doesn't know the difference between toed and towed, but yet they want to say that Rumsfeld isn't doing his job correctly. They went to school for writing and mess that up so how much does their opinion mean to me about something they aren't even educated in.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 04:23 PM
The Janitor

i think rumsfield is a serious leach on this administration's credibility and keeping the trust of the men in uniform.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell
i think rumsfield is a serious indicator of this administration's credibility and keeping the trust of the men in uniform.
There.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 06:46 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcblown4.6
Am I the only one who noticed that they are calling out Rumsfield but didn't even take the time to proof read their shit?

I'm not saying they are wrong or right it just loses some credibility when a publisher doesn't know the difference between toed and towed, but yet they want to say that Rumsfeld isn't doing his job correctly. They went to school for writing and mess that up so how much does their opinion mean to me about something they aren't even educated in.
LOLz @ you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
LOLz @ you!!!
LOL!!!! Now that, my friend, is classic DFWstangs ridicule.

Kinda brings a tear (pronounced "tier") to the eye.

Buying dogs kills.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:25 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

<---master of classical ridicule

Quote:
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by White trash wagon
Who do you think deals with Rummy on a daily basis? Senior Pentagon officials, that's who. So when the people he deals with on a daily basis don't like him, it says something.

AS far as Rice running for president, more attention would have to paid to her running mate, as they would become president in a matter of months.

Scott

Everyone reports to secdef, so any directives have his implicit approval. There are plenty of officers who deal with the secdef indirectly and directly on a daily basis from all over the world. They have these things called phones, faxes and emails you know.

Don't be fooled by those career senior officers who get a rear echelon command in a hot zone for the required 90 days before retirement. Unless you want to be, which seems that way from your posts. How much interaction do you have with pentagon staff or senior military officers, retired or active? I admit mine is limited but I can name five people I have spoken to candidly this year who hold half birds or better. None of them are overly critical of Rumsfeld, and four of them dislike Powell and are glad he has left the arena. They all think Clark is an insane egotistical opportunist.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 05:26 PM
ebay pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Everyone reports to secdef, so any directives have his implicit approval. There are plenty of officers who deal with the secdef indirectly and directly on a daily basis from all over the world. They have these things called phones, faxes and emails you know.

Don't be fooled by those career senior officers who get a rear echelon command in a hot zone for the required 90 days before retirement. Unless you want to be, which seems that way from your posts. How much interaction do you have with pentagon staff or senior military officers, retired or active? I admit mine is limited but I can name five people I have spoken to candidly this year who hold half birds or better. None of them are overly critical of Rumsfeld, and four of them dislike Powell and are glad he has left the arena. They all think Clark is an insane egotistical opportunist.
I have zero links with the pentagon or the military. But I work for a huge multi-national, multi-divsional corporation, and directives come down from the CEO to me ( with 20 layers of management in between). But does mean I know squat about him? No, I've never met or seen the CEO, and never will . So am I qualified to say if he's good to work with or even competent? No.

But back to Rumsfeld....haven't like 14 generals called for his resignation? as well as a goverment study, as well as the above mentioned military publication?

Scott
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:40 AM
ebay pimp

Game over, Rummy's GONE.

Scott
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Rummy resigned today!!

Well, a lot of military and other folks got their way today. Rumsfeld resigned! Just saw it on Foxnews.com.

OkieHog
Ebay rating of 535+ positive
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Pushed to the limit

The line has been toad!

Like the blatant misuse of the English language?

Buying dogs kills.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 12:30 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Toad? It's purt-near been walloped!

Quote:
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Musician for the deaf

That's too bad.

Oh well, its not like anyone is irreplaceable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement