U.S. Troop Death Toll Now Worst In A Year - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Go Rangers!!

Angry U.S. Troop Death Toll Now Worst In A Year

What are your thoughts?

BAGHDAD, Iraq -- The number of American troops killed in Iraq in October reached the highest monthly total in a year Thursday after four Marines and a sailor died of wounds suffered while fighting in the same Sunni insurgent stronghold.

The U.S. military said 96 U.S. troops have died so far in October, the most in one month since October 2005, when the same number was killed. The spike in deaths has been a major factor behind rising anti-war sentiment in the United States, fueling calls for President Bush to change tactics.

The deadliest month for U.S. forces in Iraq was November 2004, when military offenses primarily in the then-insurgent stronghold of Fallujah, 40 miles west of Baghdad, left 137 troops dead, 126 of them in combat. In January 2005, 107 U.S. troops were killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Holy shit, well it's official, I am fuckin gay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Time Served

I brought this subject up during work and my section sergeant said "So what? We loose more people in accidents." I just about knocked his ass out when he said that. My reply was that this is about 150 not coming home to a family. Really pisses me off, but I do believe we are doing good things over there regardless of what the president's motives are.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 09:39 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Welcome to the holy month of Ramadan. Remember Islam is a peaceful religion.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Meeeeooowww

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
ROP is good people.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 09:50 AM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
X2

I like how we're supposed to be more respectful during Ramadan. Weren't both wars planned around Ramadan so we wouldn't piss off any arabs?

Now they use it as rallying against us.

...Nuke 'em. Nuke 'em all!

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Isn't Ramadan over with now?

Not that anyone could tell a difference from last months violence and this months.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Go Rangers!!

i spent about 9 months on a tour in Iraq back in 2004, near Fallujah. I can tell you the one thing we all missed most was our family and friends at home. I can't think of anything more difficult in life than having someone come to your door and tell you that your son, daughter, wife, or husband is dead.
I belive in the war or terrorism, but I think it's getting out of hand and I think we are spending too much time and money over there.

Quote:
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 09:55 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Ole_Red
Isn't Ramadan over with now?

Not that anyone could tell a difference from last months violence and this months.
It starts on 9/24 so actually it just ended.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Worship me

I say we need more troops over there so we can pound the fucking shit out of these idiots and get everyone home ASAP.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Go Rangers!!

personally, i know it would never happen, but i say we pull our troops out and send then back home to the US, and then NUKE the fuckers!

Quote:
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 10:15 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
I say we need more troops over there so we can pound the fucking shit out of these idiots and get everyone home ASAP.
I say we do the inevitable and break it up into 3 seperate pieces. Let the Saudis, Jordanians and the Kuwaitis take over everything south of Baghdad and west of the Tigris, give Iran and Syria everything else south of Kirkuk and let the Kurds control everything north of there with help from the Turks.

We'd still control Baghdad and have a contract with the Kurds promising defense in return for control of their oil fields, hopefully keeping the Turks in check. We'd also still have a free roam in the western part of the country.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P

X2

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 11:14 PM
The Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95ragtop
I brought this subject up during work and my section sergeant said "So what? We loose more people in accidents." I just about knocked his ass out when he said that. My reply was that this is about 150 not coming home to a family. Really pisses me off, but I do believe we are doing good things over there regardless of what the president's motives are.

your section sergeant comes with a point though that cant be overlooked. Im sure if given the choice, a soldier would rather die in battle than to something like friendly fire, a helo crash, or a car accident. Such things are far more frivolous than dying fighting for the man or woman beside you on the firing line, giving your life so he/she can live on.

Also, its just plain tragic how we view the violence as so severe , when we overlook things like dallas becoming the worst city for violent crime in the entire nation, where violent deaths sadly occur with similar frequency. Just like the media ignores minority women raped/killed as opposed to young, pretty white girls, the media will also ignore the other kinds of deaths that raise just as many questions about the nature of life when a marine dies in a stupid car accident 1 mile from his base.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 11:40 PM

man that would have pissed me off too

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95ragtop
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
I say we do the inevitable and break it up into 3 seperate pieces. Let the Saudis, Jordanians and the Kuwaitis take over everything south of Baghdad and west of the Tigris, give Iran and Syria everything else south of Kirkuk and let the Kurds control everything north of there with help from the Turks.

We'd still control Baghdad and have a contract with the Kurds promising defense in return for control of their oil fields, hopefully keeping the Turks in check. We'd also still have a free roam in the western part of the country.
I've never heard this articulated.

I like it.

Break it the fuck up and give it away. It is ours after all...
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 04:37 PM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP

It sounds good on paper doesn't it? Sadly, I feel it is our influence over there that keeps us safe at home. We make a big enough impact over there to scare them; hence their fighting "technique". I'm tired of deploying, but I don't believe the job is done and I don't believe that the cut & run is right. I'll deploy as long as I have to in order to get my part in getting the job done. If we auctioned off sections of Iraq to other countries, it would be more chaotic there after we left than it is now. But then again, maybe they'd all just tear each other apart and end the violence themselves.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement