Comedy director David Zucker goes to GOP? You can't be serious! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Hero in a half shell

Comedy director David Zucker goes to GOP? You can't be serious!

David Zucker, the producer and director of "Airplane," "The Naked Gun" and "Scary Movie 4," embraced the Republican Party in 2004 and voted for President Bush, largely because of security concerns. Once a liberal activist and campaign adviser to President Bill Clinton, he made a low-budget anti-Kerry ad that ran mostly in Ohio and kept his political change-of-heart largely under Hollywood's radar.

Not now.

Zucker sees threats to America and Israel mounting, and he believes the Democrats are unable or unwilling to confront those challenges, so he has decided to go public with his belief that the Democrats have lost their way. Starting Oct. 9, the first of two ads Zucker directed and co-wrote will begin running on the Internet in hopes of helping the Republicans retain control of the House in the November elections. Like his movies, Zucker's edgy spots employ his trademark fast-paced, gag-a-second-slapstick humor that has made him the undisputed king of spoof.

But Zucker believes his Republican boosterism carries some professional risk, as well. Hollywood happily forgives druggy actors and boozy directors, Zucker said, "but I don't think a Republican can be rehabbed." Still, at 58, he has decided to take a high-profile stand.

Zucker's first Internet ad spoofs the Democrats' reputation as the party of tax-and-spend liberals. It opens with a shot of a couple peacefully sleeping in bed. A narrator's voice interrupts the calm: "What if you woke up a year from today, the Democrats had taken over and you were able to see their new taxes?" Suddenly, a man in a dark suit, the Democratic tax man, appears in the bedroom and holds out his hand for a payoff. He shows up again and again. He hits up a woman who has just given birth and even demands payment from her newborn. The 90-second spot ends with an army of ominous-looking Democratic tax men, briefcases in hand, marching down the street like some spooky army.

A second spot charging Democrats with being soft on foreign policy is expected to be posted soon.

Funded by pro-Republican, tax-exempt 527 groups, the ads will appear on YouTube, the Drudge Report and America Weakly, a new parody site run by the Republican National Committee (RNC) that purports to show what the country would look like under Democratic control. The RNC asked Zucker to make the spoof ads because of his "stellar reputation and high-quality production," said Tara Wall, director of outreach communications.

http://www.jewishjournal.com/home/preview.php?id=16577

Is there a tread in Hollywood of peeps starting to "get it?"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 09:32 AM
Out

Our division within our own country is the greatest it's ever been (Civil War time included).
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 06:46 PM
PAN

One more of the mindless has pulled his head out of his ass. Almost brings a tear to my eye.

*Sniff* who farted?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Our division within our own country is the greatest it's ever been (Civil War time included).
"Divide and conquer" Karl Rove

( just kidding..almost)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 04:35 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Exclamation

LOLz @ a tax-exempt group funding an ad that threatens of increased taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 06:20 AM
Worship me

I'm amused at any sucker who thinks higher taxes are a good thing.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 07:06 AM
Lifer

X2

(It's Sunday morning, and I don't care to elaborate)

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 02:44 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Come on, you guys know you wouldn't know how to spend all that money that you're giving the government in taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement