N. Korea threatens U.S. with 'nuclear war' - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

N. Korea threatens U.S. with 'nuclear war'

"SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- North Korea would respond to a pre-emptive U.S. military attack with an "annihilating strike and a nuclear war," the state-run media said Monday, heightening anti-U.S. rhetoric amid close scrutiny of its missile program.

The Korean Central News Agency, citing an unidentified Rodong Sinmun newspaper "analyst," accused the United States of increasing military pressure on the isolated communist state and basing new spy planes on the Korean Peninsula.

The North Korean threat of retaliation, which is often voiced by its state-controlled media, comes amid U.S. official reports that Pyongyang has shown signs of preparing for a test of a long-range missile. North Korea claims it has the right to such a launch.

On Friday, Pyongyang accused the United States of driving the situation on the Korean Peninsula "to the brink of war," and said it is fully prepared to counter any U.S. aggression.

Monday's report accused Washington of escalating military pressure on the country with war exercises, a massive arms buildup and aerial espionage by basing new spy planes in South Korea.

"This is a grave military provocation and blackmail to the DPRK, being an indication that the U.S. is rapidly pushing ahead in various fields with the extremely dangerous war moves," the dispatch said.

"The army and people of the DPRK are now in full preparedness to answer a pre-emptive attack with a relentless annihilating strike and a nuclear war with a mighty nuclear deterrent," the report said.

DPRK stands for the North's official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

White House spokesman Tony Snow refused to respond to what he called "a hypothetical situation."

"It is a statement about what may happen if something that hasn't happened happened, if you follow my drift," he said.

North Korea routinely accuses the U.S. of aerial espionage, issuing a tally of such flights at the end of every month. The U.S. military doesn't comment, although it acknowledges monitoring North Korean military activity.

Washington and Japan have said in recent weeks that spy satellite images show North Korea has taken steps to prepare a long-range Taepodong-2 missile for a test-launch.

Estimates for the range of the missile vary widely, but at least one U.S. study said it could be able to reach parts of the United States with a light payload.

Speculation that Pyongyang could fire the missile has waned in recent days since the country's top ally and a major source of its energy supplies, China, reportedly urged North Korea not to go ahead with the test.

Meanwhile, a South Korean government official said Seoul is considering buying U.S. shipborne SM-2 missiles to bolster its missile-defense system.

The move is the latest by South Korea and Japan to strengthen their defenses amid signs of the North Korean missile test. Seoul announced last week the purchase of Patriot interceptor missiles from Germany.

SM-2 missiles, however, are reportedly effective against cruise missiles and at striking aircraft but would not be able to hit a long-range missile.

"I understand that we have requested information" on the missiles for purchase, said Park Sung-soo, an official at the Defense Acquisition Program Administration, without elaborating.

The U.S. Defense Security Cooperation Agency notified Congress of the possible sale last week, according to its Web site. The order would be for 48 SM-2 Block IIIB tactical standard missiles and associated equipment and training.

The agency estimated the cost at $111 million."

Anybody think we should drop the nuke first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Banned

post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 12:10 PM
IA2

Typical north korea rhetoric. Classify US responses to questionable korean activity as "provocation" and threaten to do something. This is one of the main ways that north korea "bargans", and it has worked in the past.

I think that theatening a nuke is akin to pulling the tail on the bear; bad move.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb
Typical north korea rhetoric. Classify US responses to questionable korean activity as "provocation" and threaten to do something. This is one of the main ways that north korea "bargans", and it has worked in the past.

I think that theatening a nuke is akin to pulling the tail on the bear when you're a mouse; bad move.
Fixed!
Hmmmmmmmmm................Leather is cheap from South Korea. Looks like we MAY get cheap GLASS from North Korea now!
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 12:24 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

So remind me how North Korea would be able to stop U.S. land-based Nuclear ICBMs, submarine based Nuclear ICBMs, and B-2 Stealth launched Nuclear missles?

Oh thats right, nobody can.

Thats like threatening someone with a Black Cat firecracker when they have a full bundle of TNT.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 12:31 PM

Yup it's a scary world out there alright.

Right now as it stands if a nuke went off on US soil right now we really
would not know who to strike at.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 12:49 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

North Korea won't attack us but they can do some serious damage to South Korea before we could intervene. They've got over 700,000 troops within 100 miles of Seoul, not to mention thousands of rounds of artillery capable of hitting the city. The death toll would be in the millions if he decided to attack.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 01:04 PM
4 Cams are better than 1

thats some scary $hit
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Time Served

post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
North Korea won't attack us but they can do some serious damage to South Korea before we could intervene. They've got over 700,000 troops within 100 miles of Seoul, not to mention thousands of rounds of artillery capable of hitting the city. The death toll would be in the millions if he decided to attack.
So what, they're just South Koreans. They love to hate us too, I wonder if they realize that the only thing between them and the spots six feet under their feet is the United States military.

I'd love to see N Korea send a nuke over. I bet it wouldn't make it 250 miles before being intercepted while airborne. Then the real shitstorm could commence.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 01:25 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird
I'd love to see N Korea send a nuke over. I bet it wouldn't make it 250 miles before being intercepted while airborne. Then the real shitstorm could commence.
Thats more than half way to Japan. It'd be a major shit storm regardless and we'd be expected to retaliate. I for one would love to see the North Korean government over thrown and occupied by the South Koreans or Japanese.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Lifer

Yeah, I agree.

I'd like to see them push some wrong buttons and find themselves on the TRUE business end of US military capability - and I'm NOT talking about reconnaissance.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Still Slow

You think China would defend N. Korea?

94 RX7:T56, LS1
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1
nope...........it's not like it used to be.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
About like the Soviets supported them in during the Korean War.

Provide military support, provide training, provide funding, but keep their name out of it. Doesn't matter, I think the US could eliminate China and N Korea's military command and control abilities simultaneously if necessary.
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
So what, they're just South Koreans. They love to hate us too, I wonder if they realize that the only thing between them and the spots six feet under their feet is the United States military.

I would like to see them launch a nuke and it ends up hitting Russia.
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Racist....that means you!

Which one would you rather go up against?
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester

LOL...how did you ever get a pick of Renan in an outfit like that?
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 02:50 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
They have to guard their borders to keep the starving North Koreans out. That and they openly trade with the South so it really wouldn't be in their best interest. A unified democratic Korea is good for everyone except Kim Il Jong, unfortunately though it's his finger on the button.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 03:12 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Whatever happened to good ol' fashion assassinations ala Ferdinand and Caesar? Granted, the assassination of Franz Ferdninand started WWI, but still. Just put a bullet in the back of that slant's head and call it a day. The World will be in better shape.

post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 03:13 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
"I'll go with bad motherfucker with a gun for $1,000, Alex."
post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 03:21 PM
ebay pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
They have to guard their borders to keep the starving North Koreans out. That and they openly trade with the South so it really wouldn't be in their best interest. A unified democratic Korea is good for everyone except Kim Il Jong, unfortunately though it's his finger on the button.
I'd agree with that............

Scott

Last edited by White trash wagon; 07-03-2006 at 03:57 PM.
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Packin' up...

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
"I'll go with bad motherfucker with a gun for $1,000, Alex."
lmao
post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 04:03 PM
ebay pimp

Kim Jong is just bluffing, like all the times before. Hitler took 2 countries through bluff, not a shot fired! But I don't think that will happen here!!

They have ONE long range experimental ICBM on the pad, that's a HELL of along way from being a credible threat to the USA.

Japan, however, must be scared shitless of N Korean short range missiles.

Kim Jong is a cross between Adolf Hitler and Sadam Hussein, when he dies that regime will crumble. Until Kim Jong dies, we just have to keep a careful eye on N Korea.

Scott

Last edited by White trash wagon; 07-03-2006 at 04:16 PM.
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Lifer

Let em do it. Even their ally China is telling them fuck no. If they did that we would obliterate him and his country. I see it as one less problem.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Hero in a half shell

I believe this could qualify as "The Most Rediculous Item of the Day" on the O'reilly factor lol

post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 05:37 AM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by White trash wagon
They have ONE long range experimental ICBM on the pad, that's a HELL of along way from being a credible threat to the USA.

Japan, however, must be scared shitless of N Korean short range missiles.

Kim Jong is a cross between Adolf Hitler and Sadam Hussein, when he dies that regime will crumble. Until Kim Jong dies, we just have to keep a careful eye on N Korea.

Scott
You're an interesting study Scott.

So since it's only one 'experimental' missile that can theoretically reach us, we shouldn't worry, and two, since it's a long range missile and Japan is within short range, they shouldn't worry either?
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 11:22 AM
ebay pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466
You're an interesting study Scott.

So since it's only one 'experimental' missile that can theoretically reach us, we shouldn't worry, and two, since it's a long range missile and Japan is within short range, they shouldn't worry either?

I didn't say "not to worry", I said we need to keep a careful eye on N Korea. But there's no need for a pre- emptive nuclear strike.

Kim Jong knows if he launches anything, that his country will be obliterated, so it's all bluff on his part. He has no intention on launching anything, he just wants to run with the big dogs.

Scott
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 12:00 PM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

add Charles Manson to that list

Quote:
Scott
The leader of North Korea is truly a nutcase,

The United States maintains a current arsenal of around 9,960 intact warheads, of which 5,735 are considered active or operational, and of these only a certain number are deployed at any given time. These break down into 5,021 "strategic" warheads, 1,050 of which are deployed on land-based missile systems (all on Minuteman ICBMs), 1,955 on bombers (B-52 and B-2), and 2,016 on submarines (Ohio class), according to a 2006 report by the Natural Resources Defense Council.[14] Of 500 "tactical"/"nonstrategic" weapons, around 100 are Tomahawk cruise missiles and 400 are B61 bombs. A few hundred of the B61 bombs are located at eight bases in six European NATO countries, the only such weapons in forward deployment.

The B-61 can be up to 340 Kt
this test was a 10 megaton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxvJ2...search=nuclear
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 12:07 PM
ebay pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyro
The leader of North Korea is truly a nutcase
No doubt there!!

Good footage of the "mike" device of 1951, the first hydrogen bomb.
post #31 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 12:37 PM

The CIA says Jong has a little dong.
post #32 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 12:49 PM

Don't underestimate N Korea, the terrain up there is harsh and our soldiers aren't as prepared (for the terrain) as there's as we found out in the last war. I was in S Korea for 1 year and badass mountains but i wouldn't want to scale them day after day in full battle.
post #33 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Lifer

lol, we dont need infantry. If theres the threat of Nukes, Id say we would probably go full air assault with some of our own secret stash.

Plus hes threatening us with this missle that can only carry a very small nuke payload. Hes like an 8th grader talking shit to Mike Tyson. The guys a fucking lunatic.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #34 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 03:20 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

They launched the long range missile.

post #35 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Hood Approved.

Didn't it fail? That shit is still scary as fuck, I don't want to be glass, or whatever they have.
post #36 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 03:26 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieNC17
Didn't it fail? That shit is still scary as fuck, I don't want to be glass, or whatever they have.
It failed, yes... but still.

post #37 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 06:15 PM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

hell no, we shot it down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
It failed, yes... but still.
With our lasers and other invisible secret stuff.
post #38 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 07:08 PM
makin' bacon

Quote:
I didn't say "not to worry", I said we need to keep a careful eye on N Korea. But there's no need for a pre- emptive nuclear strike.

Kim Jong knows if he launches anything, that his country will be obliterated, so it's all bluff on his part. He has no intention on launching anything, he just wants to run with the big dogs.

Scott
Well, it looks like he wasn't bluffing.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #39 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 07:18 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyro
With our lasers and other invisible secret stuff.
It's possible.

post #40 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 07:20 PM
look at em go

All I have to say is

"what a stupid motherfucker"
post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 03:28 AM
Time Served

[QUOTE=46Tbird]So what, they're just South Koreans. They love to hate us too

What a statement!
You're a legend in your own mind!

grow up
post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 07:08 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
Whatever happened to good ol' fashion assassinations ala Ferdinand and Caesar? Granted, the assassination of Franz Ferdninand started WWI, but still. Just put a bullet in the back of that slant's head and call it a day. The World will be in better shape.
He's got a very loyal following, his closest supporters think he's a god. The only way we could kill him off would be like we did Zarqawi and you can't hide a predator or F-16 from his radar for long. Just starve him out with UN sanctions and as long as France doesn't turncoat on us like they did in Iraq he shouldn't be around for long.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfordever
What a statement!
You're a legend in your own mind!
What the fuck are you saying? Try English, it's the language I speak best.

As for S Koreans hating us, it's true. It's been building up for years. From the first link I found when I googled 'south korea demonstrations america":

"Many of the demonstrations had a strong anti-American flavour. At one protest at the U.S. embassy in downtown Seoul, protesters burned American flags and chanted slogans demanding that U.S. troops leave the country."

So what was that gibberish you typed up..?
post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Out

It's true... the South Koreans can't stand the fact that we've been giving the north oil, food, supplies, etc. all these years. Can't blame them, to tell you the truth. I can't stand it either.
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Lifer

Agree.

I saw a thing on one of those primetime news shows last night, the last time a western journalist was allowed into N Korea (Pyongyang). I couldn't believe how impressive it all looked. I assumed it was a poor, mostly agricultural society. But the buildings were large, streets were wide and clean. One thing though, it had traffic lights but they were all dead and instead used women / military traffic directors.

It would probably be a really nice place to be, if it wasn't run by a complete lunatic.
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 09:17 AM
makin' bacon

Funny thing is, when we start talking about reducing the number of our troops in S. Korea, they start shitting themselves. They KNOW our 30,000-ish troop "speedbump" is the only damn thing that keeps N. Korea from crossing the DMZ and invading the south.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Out

Yep, our aid is foor the poor, but Kim Jong gets it and utilizes it solely for his interests and sells the resyt off for what he can get. Everytime we threaten to stop giving aid, they pull shit like threatening to launch missles and what not.

Get one of those protomotors cars out on those streets... FUN!
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Lifer

Dude, imagine how cool it would be to airlift in a spankin new Z06 and a few 55-gal barrels of gas. You could tear up those wide, empty streets!
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Out

"FUCK YOU AND YOUR BIG-ENGINED CAR, ROUND EYE!!!"
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 10:05 AM
ebay pimp

Quote:
Agree.

I saw a thing on one of those primetime news shows last night, the last time a western journalist was allowed into N Korea (Pyongyang). I couldn't believe how impressive it all looked. I assumed it was a poor, mostly agricultural society. But the buildings were large, streets were wide and clean. One thing though, it had traffic lights but they were all dead and instead used women / military traffic directors.

It would probably be a really nice place to be, if it wasn't run by a complete lunatic.
There was a feature on 60 minutes about Pyongyang, it's a "show city" built by Kim Jong, trafic lights running, but no cars, and the only people around are building & maintaining this nearly empty city. Then they ventured out into the countryside.....and absolute squalor, filth & destitute people.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement