Another reason to get rid of Rick Perry. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Another reason to get rid of Rick Perry.

The Trans Texas Corridor is his baby, but a lot of people are going to get screwed out of their land (including me) for him and his cohorts to make money.

Read more about it here.
http://www.corridorwatch.org/ttc/ind...%20for%20Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 09:39 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

I'm all for the commuter railway, especially if it's truly high speed. None of this Amtrak 3 days to anywhere crap. That and getting most of the trucks off of I-35 can't hurt. Put the speed limit at 80-85mph, set up some good enforcement in Laredo to keep the illegals and drugs out and I'd support it. Then again I'm not losing any land.

My family had lost a several thousand acre ranch in the panhandle thanks to I-40 being built. It bordered route 66 back in the day, they built 40 and didn't leave any access to water for the cattle. It was before my time but I'm sure if it was still around we'd have a little more money.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 10:07 AM

Anyone who I have ever known who has had to sell their land to the state has made a killing.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 10:34 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector lavoe
Anyone who I have ever known who has had to sell their land to the state has made a killing.
Now sure, assuming you've got a decent lawyer. Fifty years ago though it didn't happen that way. I remember Bob Hudiburg getting over $7,000,000 for about an acre of his land so the state could build a turning lane.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 11:05 AM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog
Why don't they just upgrade all the roads in Texas, insted of building new ones.
Because people get pissy when you shut it down to just one lane. They had a news story on last night about how Dallas North Tollway is down to one lane near Downtown Dallas and people were pretty pissed. They need to do that crap at night, not during morning/afternoon rush-hour.

Eminent Domain is a necessary evil because without it, you wouldn't have anywhere near the luxury of as many roads/tollways as we do. It would take forever to get anywhere without them.

Hire a lawyer and get ready to get paid, but please don't be that one crazy person who wants a billion dollars for their half acre of land.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 12:14 PM
Never settle always excel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
Because people get pissy when you shut it down to just one lane. They had a news story on last night about how Dallas North Tollway is down to one lane near Downtown Dallas and people were pretty pissed. They need to do that crap at night, not during morning/afternoon rush-hour.

Eminent Domain is a necessary evil because without it, you wouldn't have anywhere near the luxury of as many roads/tollways as we do. It would take forever to get anywhere without them.

Hire a lawyer and get ready to get paid, but please don't be that one crazy person who wants a billion dollars for their half acre of land.

See the heck with that I figure if the government is screaming free enterprise and capitolism when it comes to gas prices, monkey see, monkey do. Ask a few million for that half acre. Face it they are going to use Tax dollars to buy the land, build the road then tell us we have to pay tolls to pay for the road and keep raising and charging tolls long after the road is paid for itself. Prime example is the North Dallas Tollway it paid for itself years ago, they have a surplus for maintenance so now it is just a pork barrel.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 12:24 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Trash
See the heck with that I figure if the government is screaming free enterprise and capitolism when it comes to gas prices, monkey see, monkey do. Ask a few million for that half acre. Face it they are going to use Tax dollars to buy the land, build the road then tell us we have to pay tolls to pay for the road and keep raising and charging tolls long after the road is paid for itself. Prime example is the North Dallas Tollway it paid for itself years ago, they have a surplus for maintenance so now it is just a pork barrel.
I'm not saying that anyone shouldn't get FMV for their land, house, etc. but there are some of those 'tards out there that think their land is made of gold when in reality its a piece of shit and they are just greedy.

If you are so upset about the tollway, don't take it then. You can still get anywhere in Dallas without using the tollway, but its gonna take you forever to get there.

Taxes and tolls are how our government creates revenue. If you cut off the revenue, things don't get repaired and new things don't get built. Very simple concept.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
A half acre my ass. It will consume about 450 acres per mile; a swath of 1200 feet. Even if you own land right next to it, your property values won't increase because you will be walled off from the tollway and there won't be any access to or from for business or customers.

Last edited by line-em-up; 06-28-2006 at 12:47 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
I'm not saying that anyone shouldn't get FMV for their land, house, etc. but there are some of those 'tards out there that think their land is made of gold when in reality its a piece of shit and they are just greedy.

If you are so upset about the tollway, don't take it then. You can still get anywhere in Dallas without using the tollway, but its gonna take you forever to get there.

Taxes and tolls are how our government creates revenue. If you cut off the revenue, things don't get repaired and new things don't get built. Very simple concept.
It's supply and demand. If you want it and I have it, then how much are you willing to pay? If it's that important to you, then you need to be willing to fork up the money or shop elsewhere. Isn't that what capitalism is all about? I'm not giving up my land unless I choose to sell it. If they want to give me replacement value so I can go buy 56 acres somewhere else within 30 miles Dallas, then fine. I'll take that. I doubt they'll want to do that. But, I'm not giving up my land at FMV so that someone else can get rich off of it. I'll start killin' motherfuckers first. It's their choice.

I keep thinking of all of the people that got fucked out of their land for the superconducting supercollider, only to have the government change their minds and shut it down. I'm sure the land ended up back in the hands of wealthy investors who made a lot of money reselling it.

The same goes with the people who owned land where they built the Texas Motor Speedway. Some of their land was taken and now Bruton smith and others make millions off of it.

Last edited by line-em-up; 06-28-2006 at 12:51 PM.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:12 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up
It's supply and demand. If you want it and I have it, then how much are you willing to pay? If it's that important to you, then you need to be willing to fork up the money or shop elsewhere. Isn't that what capitalism is all about? I'm not giving up my land unless I choose to sell it. If they want to give me replacement value so I can go buy 56 acres somewhere else within 30 miles Dallas, then fine. I'll take that. I doubt they'll want to do that. But, I'm not giving up my land at FMV so that someone else can get rich off of it. I'll start killin' motherfuckers first. It's their choice.

I keep thinking of all of the people that got fucked out of their land for the superconducting supercollider, only to have the government change their minds and shut it down. I'm sure the land ended up back in the hands of wealthy investors who made a lot of money reselling it.

The same goes with the people who owned land where they built the Texas Motor Speedway. Some of their land was taken and now Bruton smith and others make millions off of it.
Well, the bad news for you is that you can either take what they give you or they just take it from you anyway. It sucks, but thats how it rolls.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Well, the bad news for you is that you can either take what they give you or they just take it from you anyway. It sucks, but thats how it rolls.
Exactly, they have the law on their side. But, when the law ceases to protect you from predators and crooks, then it's time to throw the law out the window.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Patrick Henry once said

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interestseven the tree of liberty"

If you ask me the Republicans move further to the left every year adding more government and taking more rights, have you seen what Rick Perry has done to our states tuition rates in college. He is the worst Governor we've had in texas in my life time.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:33 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Exactly, they have the law on their side. But, when the law ceases to protect you from predators and crooks, then it's time to throw the law out the window.
The thing is, nobody is being predatory or stealing anything from you. This project has been public for quite a while now and you have every opportunity to try to vote against it and try to get public support against it. Thats how government works from the citizen side of things. If there are enough people that don't want it, it won't happen. Complaining on here does nothing. Be pro-active, not re-active.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
The thing is, nobody is being predatory or stealing anything from you. This project has been public for quite a while now and you have every opportunity to try to vote against it and try to get public support against it. Thats how government works from the citizen side of things. If there are enough people that don't want it, it won't happen. Complaining on here does nothing. Be pro-active, not re-active.
Have you ever seen what it takes to fight an iminent domain case? I have my ex wife fought one as an Attorney in the Fort Hood area, all they could hope for was money there was no stopping the road being built. To think raising support will stop shows you are either talking out your keister or have no idea what iminent domain is all about. I bet if they started expading allies or streets of the people who make these decisions they might think twice, too bad this will never happen.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:50 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Patrick Henry once said

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interestseven the tree of liberty"

If you ask me the Republicans move further to the left every year adding more government and taking more rights, have you seen what Rick Perry has done to our states tuition rates in college. He is the worst Governor we've had in texas in my life time.
I guess we will just stop building roads from now on. Sometimes people have to pay the price for society's progress. Its nothing new.

It could be worse, they could just roll up with absolutely no warning and rip it away for nothing. I'd rather have some sort of decent reimbursement than none at all.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:52 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Have you ever seen what it takes to fight an iminent domain case? I have my ex wife fought one as an Attorney in the Fort Hood area, all they could hope for was money there was no stopping the road being built. To think raising support will stop shows you are either talking out your keister or have no idea what iminent domain is all about. I bet if they started expading allies or streets of the people who make these decisions they might think twice, too bad this will never happen.
Yes, it is an uphill battle, but it is not impossible. 99% of the people that are in a position like this never do anything but bitch and moan in their house and smoke-filled coffee shops. If it chaps you off enough, then use your power as a citizen and vote against it and encourage others to do so as well.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Worship me

I'm totally against any sort of new Tollway. I pay enough of a tax on gasoline to the Feds, which then gets passed back to the state, so that they should be able to maintain the roads we already have as well as build new ones. They have done that in the past, why can they not do that in the present day.

The problem with Tollways are that the tolls never go away. The North Dallas Tollway has been in place for 30+ years and has been paid for many times over. Yet they still charge a toll. The toll booths cause a traffic nightmare and are bad for the environment because you have thousands of cars idling in a traffic jam before reaching them. Yet they still charge a toll. The name of the game here is money. The tollway is just another government agency that is going to make up projects to fund if it doesn't have any. A good example of that is the lane that they are adding to the tollway in the area of Spring Valley and Trinity Mills. That lane is going to do absolutely nothing to improve traffic conditions because it is located next to a tollbooth. A better solution would be to remove the tollbooth!! A second example is the extension of 190 all the way out to I30. Many people who live out there say that it is simply not needed. Again, they will make up a project just to justify their existance as a government agency. Above all they will keep collecting tolls though.

It's just another tax is all it is. Not only that but it is double taxation and I'm totally against it.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Worship me

And fighting eminent domain cases is a losing battle. The government is going to take your property if they want it. You can fight over how much money you get though. The easiest way to put yourself in a powerful position would be to band together with neighbors and start a class action suit against the government.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
I'm totally against any sort of new Tollway. I pay enough of a tax on gasoline to the Feds, which then gets passed back to the state, so that they should be able to maintain the roads we already have as well as build new ones. They have done that in the past, why can they not do that in the present day.

The problem with Tollways are that the tolls never go away. The North Dallas Tollway has been in place for 30+ years and has been paid for many times over. Yet they still charge a toll. The toll booths cause a traffic nightmare and are bad for the environment because you have thousands of cars idling in a traffic jam before reaching them. Yet they still charge a toll. The name of the game here is money. The tollway is just another government agency that is going to make up projects to fund if it doesn't have any. A good example of that is the lane that they are adding to the tollway in the area of Spring Valley and Trinity Mills. That lane is going to do absolutely nothing to improve traffic conditions because it is located next to a tollbooth. A better solution would be to remove the tollbooth!! A second example is the extension of 190 all the way out to I30. Many people who live out there say that it is simply not needed. Again, they will make up a project just to justify their existance as a government agency. Above all they will keep collecting tolls though.

It's just another tax is all it is. Not only that but it is double taxation and I'm totally against it.
werd.

As far as repair existing roads....how many years does it take to fix I-45 around Corsicana?

They've been working on that bastards for years now.

Murph

1992 Taurus Half-Breed
whining alternator pulley

Domestic with an Import heart.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
The Trans Texas Corridor is his baby, but a lot of people are going to get screwed out of their land (including me) for him and his cohorts to make money.

Read more about it here.
http://www.corridorwatch.org/ttc/ind...%20for%20Texas
Him and his booty buddy Ric Williamson have a plan to get...RICH BITCH!!!

http://www.firericwilliamson.com/
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:

Don't give me that shit about voting. I watch the news EVERY day and have only seen one VERY small article about it in the Ft Worth Star telegram. I looked in the other papers and watched the news for any other mention of it and I have yet to see anything. I wonder why. It's because they've been keeping it quiet so that people can't react. I then had to dig around on the web to find out more. As far as trying to get the word out, why the fuck do you think I started this thread? I'm trying to get people to see what they're doing. If you want to do your part (assuming you give a shit), then you and the others on here will visit the link I posted and learn more about it.

Last edited by line-em-up; 06-28-2006 at 05:33 PM.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
People always talk about fixing stuff by voting for this guy or that guy, but most politicians are going to do what is in their best interest. Sure I vote, and I might get lucky enough to have it actually make a difference, but the odds are it will just be another number on the list and that's all.

As far as the eminent domain thing goes, they have set it up so that the day they decide to take your land, they can show up with the bulldozers. You can fight it, but even if you do win, they will have alread destroyed your place.

Last edited by line-em-up; 06-28-2006 at 05:34 PM.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
I guess we will just stop building roads from now on. Sometimes people have to pay the price for society's progress. Its nothing new.

It could be worse, they could just roll up with absolutely no warning and rip it away for nothing. I'd rather have some sort of decent reimbursement than none at all.
If it is for the public good, I could at least be more understanding. But this project is about private investors making money. Individual companies and people will get rich off of this instead of the money going to the peole who can use it.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Read this and see if it sounds like they are being open about it.

--------------------------
Over the last three years David Stall has reported on numerous meetings and events such as the Texas Transportation Summit in Irving (now being boycotted by TxDOT). While covering transportation issues Stall has worked along side journalists from Time Magazine, The New Yorker, Dallas Morning News, San Antonio Express News, Houston Chronicle and the Fort Worth Star Telegram, just to name a few.

In response to a recent request for media credentials for Stall to cover the Texas Transportation Forum (sponsored by TxDOT) CorridorWatch.org was notified that "applications for media credentials are being accepted only for mainstream news media." In the message from TxDOT Public Information Director Randall Dillard, Stall was told Friday (6/1/06) via e-mail that he could attend the forum by paying the non-governmental rate ($330.00) at the door.

This is the first time Stall has ever been denied media credentials to cover a transportation function.

Oh sure, CorridorWatch.org isn’t network television, nor are we major print or radio. But, we do publish an Internet newsletter with thousands of subscribers who are particularly interested in Texas transportation issues.

This is a state sponsored forum, hosted by a state agency; with many speakers that are fulltime public agency employees. Accordingly, we believe that there is a greater responsibility to allow for openness and public disclosure. Is this action by TxDOT an attempt to discourage CorridorWatch.org from reporting on their new forum? Is it perhaps their goal to suppress critical coverage? We think so.

-------------------

TEXAS COMPTROLLER AND CANDIDATE FOR GOVERNOR CAROLE STRAYHORN
DEMANDS THAT GOVERNOR RICK PERRY REVEAL SECRET TOLL CORRIDOR PLAN

One year ago today the Texas Attorney General ruled that TxDOT must release the entire contents of it's Comprehensive Development Agreement (CDA) with Cintra Zachry to develop Trans Texas Corridor (TTC-35). Not impressed by that order, TxDOT and Cintra Zachry have done exactly what CorridorWatch.org predicted a year ago, they have stonewalled and initiated a protracted legal battle to keep hundreds of pages of the agreement (CDA) secret. Good thing we didn't hold our breath!

In response to Strayhorn's comments today a spokesman for the Governor said "most of the contract is available." That's of little consolation since the portions they refuse to release include all of the conceptual development and financial plans. Someone needs to tell the Governor that "most" just isn't good enough.

Apparently there is something or a lot of things in that CDA that can't stand the light of day. Strayhorn agrees and said today, "we need government in the sunshine."

------------------------------

Without advance public notice, and announced late on the last day for legislative bills to be filed without the Governor's approval, TxDOT Officials joined by Governor Perry and Federal Highway Administrator Mary Peters signed a 342-page agreement with Cintra Concesiones de Infraestructuras de Transporte SA (Madrid, Spain) to create a master plan to finance and build the TTC-35 Trans Texas Corridor generally parallel to IH-35 from the Valley to the Red River.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
And fighting eminent domain cases is a losing battle. The government is going to take your property if they want it. You can fight over how much money you get though. The easiest way to put yourself in a powerful position would be to band together with neighbors and start a class action suit against the government.

Thanks AL for the advise.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Ellis County residents say ‘No’ to Trans-Texas Corridor

SHERRY LONG
The Ellis County Press
ENNIS – Ellis County residents made their voices heard regarding the Trans-Texas Corridor during a public hearing Monday night at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Ennis.

Every resident who spoke regarding the multi-lane toll-booth super highway was extremely opposed to the corridor.

“We, the people, are the government. It’s time to take back the government and tell them what to do,” said Ennis resident Neil Keas.

“Not let them tell us what to do.”

Originally proposed by

Republican Gov. Rick Perry in 2001 the corridor would eventually include separate toll-lanes for cars, tractor trailers, freight train rails, commuter rails and utility lines from Mexico to Oklahoma.

Many citizens asked why the state did not hold any public hearings before now to determine the corridor’s path.

Bastrop County resident Linda Curtis was fighting the corridor through the “Route Rick’s Route” and Corridor Watch.org coalition.

Curtis said ballot referendums were written in such a way that no voter could understand what they were voting for and because of this, in 2001, voters got tricked into supporting this program.

“This is a very good example of a crooked government,” Pat Costelow of Ennis said.

“They are stealing from us.”

She said she doubted the state would pay a fair-market value price for peoples’ homes which lie in the corridor’s pathway.

An estimated 8,000 acres of family farms, private homes and agricultural land would be destroyed if the corridor is constructed on TxDOT’s proposed route, according to officials and residents.

Bardwell resident Gary Farmer said once these lands were lost, they were gone forever.

Farmers and other attendees said their property taxes would rise dramatically to make up for the tax revenue lost when the mega-toll road project comes through Ellis County.

Scott Morrow, TxDOT assistant engineer for Ellis County, said the recommended corridor was 10 miles wide and once the actual corridor was developed it would be a width of 1,200 feet.

“They don’t know where it will be in this corridor,” he said noting the actual roads could be located anywhere inside the proposed 10-mile stretch.

Morrow said the exact location of the corridor within this proposed area would not be determined until later after more studies were conducted to determine how to avoid cities, home subdivisions and bodies of water.

“You are not going to miss everything,” Morrow said.

“But you don’t want to build through an area with homes.”

State transportation officials said the corridor was needed to relieve Texas’ already congested roads and keep up with the state’s rapid growth.

India Acres resident Denne Sweeney said he does not understand why the state’s current highways could not be expanded to handle the additional traffic.

He said a Texas Department of Transportation official told him it would be too expensive to expand Interstates 35 and 45.

TxDOT’s proposed 600-mile corridor would run parallel to I-35 north from Laredo bypassing San Antonio, Austin and Waco before angling slightly eastward before passing the eastern border of Italy, Ennis’ western border and encircling Palmer.

It would bypass Ferris on the south, going eastward engulfing Trumbull, India, Walnut Springs and Bristol before heading north and curving westward into Oklahoma through either Gainesville or Sherman-Denison.

State Rep. Jim Pitts, R-Waxahachie said he was opposed to the current plan because it would destroy quality farming land, taxing entities would lose thousands acres in tax bases and without exit ramps traffic could not travel through a city’s business district.

The plan would also cut straight through some land Pitts owns between Italy and Ennis.

Hill and Ellis County officials, including Pitts, met to develop an alternative route which they said he hoped TxDOT would consider.

The alternative route would go around Hillsboro to the east and then straight up to Arlington going between I-35 and I-35 West. Once the route would hit State Highway 360 in Arlington it would verve off to each side going on the outside of Dallas and Fort Worth.

Environmental Manager Doug Booher with the Texas Turnpike Authority Division said the state transportation department was required to directly connect to state highways, United States highways and interstate highways.

He also said engineers would look at connecting major county and city roads to the corridor.

Ellis County Commissioner Dennis Robinson, pct. 1, said he was worried this corridor would split the county in two and would not provide an economic benefit to the county.

“If this has to come through Ellis County I hope it goes on an edge of Ellis County,” he said. Citizens have until Aug. 21 to send their comments to TTC-35 P.O. Box 14707 Austin, TX 78761-4707.

For more information on the project the state has developed a website visit www.keep texasmoving.org or call 1-877-872-6789.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

To all of the people who said that all of the protesting was a waste of time, here you go. The TTC has officially been cancelled.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...1f46807ee.html

TxDOT announces end to Trans-Texas Corridor

09:36 PM CDT on Wednesday, October 7, 2009

By BRAD WATSON / WFAA-TV

WFAA-TV Also Online

MORE: Reports on politics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MORE: Reports on this topic
The Texas Department of Transportation announced Wednesday it will literally wipe a segment of the Trans-Texas Corridor planned alongside Interstate 35 off the map.

Since 2002, the proposed right-of-way that stretched 600 miles from Laredo through North Texas and onto the Red River angered property owners whose land was in the way, which ultimately led to the project's death.

TxDOT said as it finishes an environmental review, it will tell the federal government that the TTC planned along I-35 will not be built.

Last year, TxDOT told lawmakers it spent almost $60 million studying the project, which has now been canceled. Gov. Rick Perry's grand network of toll roads crossing the state never got off the drawing board.

In the end, an admission of failure rarely seen in government came from Ted Houghton, one of Perry’s appointees on the Texas Transportation Commission.

“We didn't do a very good job of explaining the Trans-Texas Corridor," he said. "A lot of it was mostly our fault.”

As the project comes to an end, TxDOT said it's committed to finishing the widening of I-35 to three lanes each direction from San Antonio to Hillsboro.

A separate 11-mile, two-lane stretch of I-35 through Waxahachie needs expanding, too.

In the Dallas area, the planned Loop 9 surrounding the metro area is part of the canceled TTC-35; but it will continue as a separate project.

The section running from Highway 287 along the Dallas and Ellis County line up to Interstate 20 is furthest along in development. About 400 homes are in the proposed right of way.

After the TTC fiasco, TxDOT said it will listen to the public to better balance property rights and transportation needs.

The mayor of Cedar Hill, Rob Franke, is on an I-35 citizens committee.

“Loop 9 in the southern part of Dallas County is really going to be critical ultimately because of the intermodal facility and the amount of truck traffic that you're going to see coming into the Dallas-Fort Worth area,” he said.

The TxDOT announcement didn't happen in a political vacuum. Just two days ago, the Texas Farm Bureau, which opposed the Trans-Texas Corridor, endorsed Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison for governor in the Republican primary over Perry.

E-mail [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement