Conventional Trident Missiles. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Meeeeooowww

Exclamation Conventional Trident Missiles.

Conventional Trident Missiles Will Aid Terror War
American Forces Press Service | Paul X. Rutz | June 08, 2006

Alexandria, VA. - Arming submarines with nonnuclear intercontinental ballistic missiles will give America a necessary quick-strike weapon in the war on terror, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said here yesterday.

The proposal, part of the Defense Department's 2007 budget request, aims to remove two nuclear missiles from each of the Navy's 14 ballistic missile submarines, or SSBNs, and replace them with two conventionally armed Trident missiles, said Navy Adm. Edmund P. Giambastiani at the Naval Submarine League's annual symposium.

The move would put about 22 such missiles into operational deployment, he said.

"It's meant to be a very niche capability," Giambastiani told about 400 retired officers, businessmen and fellow submariners. "We're not talking a lot of missiles here. So this really is a small, quick-strike capability.

"Why would you want it?," the vice chairman, whose career spans many submarine assignments and commands, asked. "So that you can respond within 60 minutes or so to something at very long ranges, very precisely, assuming you have very precise knowledge."

Combatant commanders are looking for ways to increase operational availability throughout the military, Giambastiani said. "That's what an SSBN is, the ultimate operationally available platform," he said. From that perspective, giving ballistic missile submarines a nonnuclear role makes sense.

Giambastiani said he is not worried about concerns raised about what level of authority should be required to launch the missiles or whether two-way communication was necessary between a submerged submarine and a command authority, because he would use the system that's already in place. He said he sees the value in "using a command and control system that over the years has been proven but requires the highest level of release authority."

One concern being addressed, however, is how to maneuver a potential launch so the missile's flight path doesn't appear threatening to someone who could see it coming and worry it was coming to hit them, he said. Precautions are being taken, but under almost every conceivable scenario, a small launch would not touch off alarms.

"There are some people who think if we fire one missile you're going to go to nuclear war," he said. "Well it's just the opposite, and we've found that over a few launches over the years."

Converting existing platforms to make them more adaptable to today's warfighting environment can be a very cost-effective endeavor, he said. Already the Navy has transformed two of the four oldest SSBNs into guided-missile submarines, called SSGNs, which carry the Tomahawk land-attack cruise missile.

"SSGN, the follow-on to the Trident, is clearly one of those examples of a very successful, quick-turn program," he said. "It's not too bad if you can introduce it officially in the Department of Defense at the end of September 2001, put it in the budget with the president's submission in February 2002, have it become an effective program on the first of October 2002, and already have two deliveries with two others to be following shortly. That's big stuff."

Giambastiani challenged the audience of submariners to continue to use that "modular approach" to problem solving, removing one part of a well-working machine and replacing that part with something more relevant to the current mission.

He also said the group should continue to seek different perspectives on how to develop solutions.

"You never want to bring everybody in who looks like you," he said. "You want people who come at problems from a different perspective, and submarine folks do that exceptionally well. They're mission-oriented, goal-oriented, they're smart, and they're useful."

Working jointly with other services -- combining resources and communicating effectively -- is the way business has to be conducted now, Giambastiani said. Since the Cold War ended, the submarine force, like the rest of the nation's armed services has had to learn to be flexible.

"It is a complicated world," he said. "How can we make the most adaptable, flexible forces to respond to these things across the board? That's what we're spending most of our time doing, trying to be adaptable."

http://www.military.com/features/0,1...ESRC=dod-bz.nl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 06:21 PM
PAN

I like this idea. This could concievably put to use toys that otherwise are just tooling around conducting exercises...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 06:32 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Interesting... especially this part:

Quote:
"There are some people who think if we fire one missile you're going to go to nuclear war," he said. "Well it's just the opposite, and we've found that over a few launches over the years."

BTW, call me an old fashioned romantic, but nothing beats the good ol' days:

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Musician for the deaf

Such a waste to launch a multi-million dollar trident without giving it the full treatment. Pussies.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 11:33 AM
ebay pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLAN
"There are some people who think if we fire one missile you're going to go to nuclear war," he said. "Well it's just the opposite, and we've found that over a few launches over the years."]

I was not aware we had deployed nuclear weapons on anyone since 1945. Tests yes...but actually deployed nukes on anyone, no.

Scott
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by White trash wagon
I was not aware we had deployed nuclear weapons on anyone since 1945. Tests yes...but actually deployed nukes on anyone, no.

Scott
I don't think he was referring to nuclear warheads, just tridents in general.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 06:59 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Such a waste to launch a multi-million dollar trident without giving it the full treatment. Pussies.

Not that I would call them pussies, but you're dead on that it is a huge waste of money.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 01:37 PM

This is so stupid in sooooooo many ways!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 05:40 PM
PAN

Damn. Guess I missed the boat on this one.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466
Damn. Guess I missed the boat on this one.
Well, no, it isn't a bad idea altogether, but 1) why waste a multi-million dollar delivery system on conventional explosives, and 2) why risk blowing cover or depleting firepower of the nuke sub force?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 11:52 AM
Time Served

I'm on an SSGN, and I think that it is great that we are converting the four boats that we are. We were either going to have to de-com them or do something with them. And it really isn't hurting our firepower very much. If we went to nuclear war, you wouldn't notice the lack of those four boats. Well as a matter of a fact, you probably wouldn't notice ANYTHING.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Well, no, it isn't a bad idea altogether, but 1) why waste a multi-million dollar delivery system on conventional explosives, and 2) why risk blowing cover or depleting firepower of the nuke sub force?
Because everyone calls BS on each other for launching a nuclear attack and they're right. With a conventional trident, those people might think twice because we'll be more likely to use that.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Because everyone calls BS on each other for launching a nuclear attack and they're right. With a conventional trident, those people might think twice because we'll be more likely to use that.
Why not just a cruise missile? About 1 mill vs 10 mill. Not quite the range, but hey, how far do you need to go?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 01:49 PM
que?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowYellow
I'm on an SSGN, and I think that it is great that we are converting the four boats that we are. We were either going to have to de-com them or do something with them. And it really isn't hurting our firepower very much. If we went to nuclear war, you wouldn't notice the lack of those four boats. Well as a matter of a fact, you probably wouldn't notice ANYTHING.
what boat are you on? i recently left the michigan...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 02:03 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8driver
what boat are you on? i recently left the michigan...
USS Georgia (SSGN-729) I'm thinking about split touring to Bangor, how was it??
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 02:22 PM
que?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowYellow
USS Georgia (SSGN-729) I'm thinking about split touring to Bangor, how was it??
i liked it, but from what i heard from some kings bay guys is that the bangor base is alot nicer, but if you are young there is ALOT more to do there than in bangor. which is true if you wanna do any good clubs/bars you gotta go to seattle, and even then it still kinda sucks. oh and get used to rain
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8driver
i liked it, but from what i heard from some kings bay guys is that the bangor base is alot nicer, but if you are young there is ALOT more to do there than in bangor. which is true if you wanna do any good clubs/bars you gotta go to seattle, and even then it still kinda sucks. oh and get used to rain
Yeah, thats what I've heard. Jacksonville is right there. But I think that bangor is beautiful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement