SDI back to square one - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Married Man on 14Feb2010

SDI back to square one

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...5514-2217r.htm

Quote:
Russia recently conducted a flight test of a new warhead that can change course in midflight, which U.S. and Russian officials are calling part of Moscow's efforts to defeat U.S. missile defenses.
Why is it that the Russians can develope a counter measure to SDI before we even get it working? WTF is wrong with our high paid government contracted engineers. If the president made a challenge, like Pres. Kennedy, that in ten years we would have a moon base, we couldn't do it.

No innovation at all, just throughing money around.

I remember the story about the space pen. The astronauts had problems with pens not working well in zero gravity. NASA spent a million dollars designing a pen to write in zero gravity.

The russians use a fricking pencil for $.25.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:35 AM
duh...duh....duh

..but...but...you can erase pencil stuff.

I see your point though.

My '03 Sold.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Lifer

They spent more than a million dollars, and pencils cost less than a quarter. I'm just sayin.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird
They spent more than a million dollars, and pencils cost less than a quarter. I'm just sayin.
You are the pickiest person on details, do you scrutinize your toilet paper as much.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 02:21 PM
07 TBSS

Thats because the russians aren't stupid. Not saying we are, but the ideology we have is that were the best and greatest. Me being in the air force, i look at it this way, if a pilot ejects out while the jet is upside down he is fucked. However if a russian pilot ejects while upside down he is fine, because they applied the thrust vectoring technology on their ejection seats and we didn't. Tell me why we wouldn't but they would? I personally think its because the ppl in the higher ups don't wanna admit the russians have good ideas. P.S. the patriot defense sucks!!

07 TBSS mods inc
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 02:27 PM
duh...duh....duh

Now that I think about the Pen vs. Pencil thing. It goes a little beyone .25 cents vs 1,000,000 USD. NOW that same pen is available to the public. Therefore, they can now right in space too for what...10-25 bux a pop?

My '03 Sold.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 02:44 PM
07 TBSS

Don't they have underwater pens too?

07 TBSS mods inc
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog
You are the pickiest person on details, do you scrutinize your toilet paper as much.
If the details aren't right, then... is it right?

Yes, I know how many floaters vs sinkers I have each month. And I looked it up, pencils are actually much cheaper than .25/ea if you buy in bulk.

Russians are brilliant. Too bad they were being held back by their economic dogma. They would have whooped our ass. But they are also smart enough to learn from their mistakes. I mean, really - what does "communism" mean anymore?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 03:46 PM
07 TBSS

The russians are financially backed by the chinese, but their relations have since grown apart over several differences. If they could get on their own feet economically, they would get right back where they were after WWII. By financially backed i mean in military/technological development. If they could create a political/economical balance between communism and democracy/free trade, then they would dominate. Any country willing to make improvements for the greater of man w/out greed getting in the way would surpass any. Im not a huge star trek fan, but thats the type of system that was implemented in the shows universe.

07 TBSS mods inc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement