RPG's - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

RPG's

Why is it that for 40+ years this weapon has been used against our troops
and our military has done nothing to prevent it or go after those who use them.

I'm not talking high tech even low tech train K9 units to seek the rocket
propelent that pours out as it fired. This has to cover who ever launches
the thing. Develop a small falanx (navy anti-missle system) for convoys
they have the technology and tools to do it.

Give the troops the same tools nascar has for god sake put camera's on the
humvees and drivers helmet so everyone can see whats coming at them and from
where!

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGG

Rant off.

Last edited by 98COBRA#770; 08-22-2005 at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 09:36 AM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

I believe that the military is having some company R&D, an incoming ordinance system. The system is able to detect bullets and other projectiles, their vector and back plot the trajectory and identify the area it came from.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 10:04 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog
I believe that the military is having some company R&D, an incoming ordinance system. The system is able to detect bullets and other projectiles, their vector and back plot the trajectory and identify the area it came from.
They alread have that.

As for helmet cams and stuff...more stuff to break, maintain and weight. However, I concur it would be neat if they had a basic air defense system on the vehicles. The trick is that the RPGs are shot in close typically and I dunno if a system would have enough time to react to it. Mortars and the bigger rockets...yeah, they are typically fired in from further distances.

None of those systems will do any good against their damned IEDs though.

My '03 Sold.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 11:07 AM

There is also testing going on for a weopon that explodes in front of a RPG as it is coming towards the target. It essential shreds the RPG before it makes it to the intended target. I don't know too much about it but I remember reading about it a long time ago.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
They alread have that.

As for helmet cams and stuff...more stuff to break, maintain and weight. However, I concur it would be neat if they had a basic air defense system on the vehicles. The trick is that the RPGs are shot in close typically and I dunno if a system would have enough time to react to it. Mortars and the bigger rockets...yeah, they are typically fired in from further distances.

Oh, you want a system like the Phalanx on ships for humvee.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhtEdge
There is also testing going on for a weopon that explodes in front of a RPG as it is coming towards the target. It essential shreds the RPG before it makes it to the intended target. I don't know too much about it but I remember reading about it a long time ago.
Some combat vehicles have reactive armor, that explodes outward when hit by a round.

http://www.defense-update.com/featur...tive-armor.htm

But like was said above, you add more weight and shit to break, other problems get added. With both man and machine you have to balance, maneuverability, fire power and armor.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog
Some combat vehicles have reactive armor, that explodes outward when hit by a round.
The thing I read about actually used a form of radar and shot and explosive round to meet the RPG. It was in testing at the time.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

OK maybe the phalanx would be a stretch but why not use K9's to go after the
corcksukers that shot it. Not taking about a full firefight but the guy who uses
it as a sniper weapon. Send a quick response K9 (Full blood german shepard)
and rifle squad to kill who ever the dog picks out right there on the spot!

They can train dogs to seek out anything you want with amazing accuracy.

My point is not only protect the troops but get payback for there mental
well being. Veitnam taught lots of lessons and one lesson is morall is
shot to hell when you have an enemy that strikes and kills and you can't
find them and kill them.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/...Armor,,00.html

The problem with an RPG is it is an unguided, cheap and plentiful weapon. It is designed as a close in weapon, and reaction time is slim to none. A turreted defense system would have a lesser chance of success, and likely be very susceptible to dirt and improper maintenance. The proposed countermeasures that would work realistically would give you a one or two shot level of protection. After that you have a weak point in the system in that quadrant. Then instead of having one round shot, you end up with three. Fired in rapid succession - 1-2 sec apart, and the third would likely penetrate the system and impact the vehicle. You also have to be concerned with collateral damage with the active explosive countermeasures. Politicians would have a field day the first time a Hummvee lets loose a protective blast and shreds a bunch of innocent civilians or other friendlies that happened to be in the wrong spot when the shrapnel came down.

A K9 would be of little use in certain environments I think. And since most RPG teams are at least two men, that leaves one to keep an eye out for any sort of counterattack. He may give away his position by firing on the dog, but I am sure they will adapt. Since the dog will come from the intended target or convoy, he would likely have a clear view of it. I just don't think it would be that effective, and morale would continue to suffer with each dog killed.

Eventually they will come up with a feasible solution, and some of the prototypes look promising. It just won't be anytime soon.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 06:32 PM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezer

The problem with an RPG is it is an unguided, cheap and plentiful weapon. It is designed as a close in weapon, and reaction time is slim to none. A turreted defense system would have a lesser chance of success, and likely be very susceptible to dirt and improper maintenance. The proposed countermeasures that would work realistically would give you a one or two shot level of protection. After that you have a weak point in the system in that quadrant. Then instead of having one round shot, you end up with three. Fired in rapid succession - 1-2 sec apart, and the third would likely penetrate the system and impact the vehicle. You also have to be concerned with collateral damage with the active explosive countermeasures. Politicians would have a field day the first time a Hummvee lets loose a protective blast and shreds a bunch of innocent civilians or other friendlies that happened to be in the wrong spot when the shrapnel came down.

A K9 would be of little use in certain environments I think. And since most RPG teams are at least two men, that leaves one to keep an eye out for any sort of counterattack. He may give away his position by firing on the dog, but I am sure they will adapt. Since the dog will come from the intended target or convoy, he would likely have a clear view of it. I just don't think it would be that effective, and morale would continue to suffer with each dog killed.

Eventually they will come up with a feasible solution, and some of the prototypes look promising. It just won't be anytime soon.
Sounds like the words of someone who has been there.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 10:19 PM
Wolverines!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
They alread have that.

Im not to worried bout no IEDs if I got a good EOD team with us. They have some neat toys.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 12:11 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezer

exactly....

RPG are quick and easy to shoot, plus if you spray a vehicle with a little small arms fire, they probably aren't going to be sticking their heads out to look around too much.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

No easy answer.

I just hope they do develop something soon.

I have three sons 18, 15 & 12 and cringe at the thought of them in harms way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement