Canadain View of US Health Care - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Canadain View of US Health Care

http://www.medicalpost.com/mpcontent...09_192250_3140
Quote:
Understand U.S. system for meaningful debate

Highly regulated nature of market, not private care, explains many of the problems behind access to care

By Norma Kozhaya

WHEN DISCUSSING Canada's health-care system, the United States provides a convenient scarecrow. We hear constantly that 45 million Americans have no health insurance, that public health-care spending is inadequate and that the U.S. system is characterized by unbridled capitalism. If we are to have a rational public debate following the Supreme Court ruling in the Chaoulli case, it would be important to keep in mind some fundamental facts about our neighbour's system.

The U.S. system is primarily criticized for its lack of universality. To put this problem in perspective, the uninsured represent just 15.6% of the population. Furthermore, being without insurance is often a temporary situation. About one-quarter of the uninsured lack coverage for less than one year. A large number of people declared as uninsured—about 14 million—were eligible for Medicaid or for programs covering children but had either not taken advantage of this or were unaware of it.

The non-insurance problem is largely a job problem: 57% of those under 65 who were without health insurance throughout 1998 had no full-time jobs or lived in families where nobody did. Tax treatment of medical insurance in the U.S. creates a tight link with employment. Many uninsured persons also have the means to pay for private insurance but choose not to: 17% of the uninsured lived in households with incomes of at least $75,000 US.

Moreover, the uninsured have at their disposal a safety net, namely the public hospital network. This, in fact, constitutes a sort of informal hospital insurance. Private charity, from hospitals and doctors as well as from individuals who support charitable organizations, is also part of this safety net. It is estimated that two-thirds of the health care received by the uninsured costs them nothing.

Another big myth presents the U.S. health-care system as totally private, or almost. In fact, public health-care spending and public health insurance play dominant roles. Apart from Medicare and Medicaid, heavy public spending funds public hospitals and Department of Veterans Affairs facilities. All told, the U.S. spends more on public health care than most large Western countries: 6.6% of GDP, which puts the U.S. ninth among the 30 Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) countries, just after Canada's 6.7%. Moreover, per capita government spending is higher in the U.S. than in Canada—$2,364 US compared with $2,048 US at purchasing power parity.

Although public spending as a proportion of total health-care spending is low—44.9% compared with the OECD average of 72.6% and Canada's 69.9%—this is because Americans add far more private spending to their spending mix, with total spending much higher than elsewhere at 14.7% of GDP vs. an OECD average of 8.4%. These huge sums explain why Americans have the latest medical technologies, the most effective treatments and short waiting times.

As for the myth of unbridled capitalism, the U.S. health-care market is highly regulated, leading to distortions in the use and supply of care. This explains in part many Americans' difficulty in obtaining private insurance. Onerous standards set by governments rule out cheaper, more accessible policies. Insurance seldom contains co-payments or co-insurance. Policyholders thus have little incentive to seek the best prices, which goes some way toward explaining escalating health-care costs. Exaggerated court-imposed penalties in professional malpractice cases also boost U.S. health-care prices.

While the U.S. health-care system suffers from a number of problems and is far from perfect, it is not the inhumane horror that some describe. The causes of these problems are also not what most people believe. They result not from its private character but rather from the heavy regulation to which it is subjected.
I posted the whole article is case liberals hack the site to remove the stats from cyberspace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 03:35 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog
http://www.medicalpost.com/mpcontent...09_192250_3140

I posted the whole article is case liberals hack the site to remove the stats from cyberspace.

HAHAHAHA

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Lifer

:d

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Lifer

My daughter just completed an internship at Parkland, and I can assure you that if you get there with a hangnail, hemmoroid, or halitosis, you will get treated...for free...courtesy of the good folks in Dallas County.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Worship me

I've been saying it for a long time...we essentially already have socialized medicine.

It does make a great battlecry for the lefties though...to spew the horror stories about the poor working moms with 8 kids that have no insurance. Of course in those tales the county hospital doesn't exist, as with many idiotic tales from la-la land.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 10:33 AM

Being a Canadian it is comforting knowing if something were to happen right now, I will be taken care of and not be billed. That being said, I have been fed the "our healthcare system is superior to that in the U.S. crap my whole life". Having spent a decade of my life in the U.S. I witnessed the exact opposite. My wife spent 2 days in a room with 5 other women when she had our first child in a Toronto area Hospital. When our second was born in Atl, Ga we had a private room with satelite and a pullout couch for me. Yeah I had to pay for Med Ins, but it was totally worth it and we were treated like royalty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement