Media - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Certified CRAZY!

Media

Before coming out here, I was a news freak. Always watching CNN, Fox News, MSNBC. I pretty much chose to believe most of it. I am here to inform you that most of it is horseshit. It's either exaggerated or the details are completely inaccurate. It's actually quite amazing how misconstrewd (sp?) that facts have become. Or maybe it has always been like that and it took being in the midst of the situation to actually see.

That is all, carry on.

You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, even months over analyzing a situation.. trying to put the pieces back together, justifying what could've, should've and would've happened or you can leave the pieces on the floor and move the fuck on!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 12:52 AM
Lifer

Is it better or worse than what they report? Is the hate really that bad, or are there Iraq supporters there for what we are doing? It would be nice to see a real viewpoint from someone in the midst of everything.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 12:58 AM
KEK

Well of course they exaggerate. If they don't put the icing on the cake then you're going to have some upset peoples out there.

03 Oxford White Cobra.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 01:39 AM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by racegirl
Before coming out here, I was a news freak. Always watching CNN, Fox News, MSNBC. I pretty much chose to believe most of it. I am here to inform you that most of it is horseshit. It's either exaggerated or the details are completely inaccurate. It's actually quite amazing how misconstrewd (sp?) that facts have become. Or maybe it has always been like that and it took being in the midst of the situation to actually see.

That is all, carry on.
And the sky is blue.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 07:46 AM

I work in the news department at a network TV station here in DFW. Every employee we have does everything within their power to get their facts straight, even-sided and understandable. Everything that goes out over the airways in checked and re-checked by at least a dozen people. This doesn't mean that mistakes aren't made. They are. It is what is done afterwards that matters.

There is nothing wrong with having a personal bias. But to work in news, you must be professionally neutral. Your boss and the public expect it.

Construing the facts to fit your agenda is called editorialism, not journalism. It isn't tolerated in news. At least real news.

It is easy to understand that ignorant people believe everything they hear. You have VERY convincing people on both sides giving their viewpoint with no opposition.

The only way a person can get it straight is by thinking about the news, not just consuming it. Read every news source you can, NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL, and then decide whether it's news or propaganda.

There are watchdogs out there looking for media bias.
Take a look at MEDIAMATTERS.ORG or THATLIBERALMEDIA.COM or NEWHOUNDS.US
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 09:47 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slncoupe
I work in the news department at a network TV station here in DFW. Every employee we have does everything within their power to get their facts straight, even-sided and understandable. Everything that goes out over the airways in checked and re-checked by at least a dozen people. This doesn't mean that mistakes aren't made. They are. It is what is done afterwards that matters.

There is nothing wrong with having a personal bias. But to work in news, you must be professionally neutral. Your boss and the public expect it.

Construing the facts to fit your agenda is called editorialism, not journalism. It isn't tolerated in news. At least real news.

It is easy to understand that ignorant people believe everything they hear. You have VERY convincing people on both sides giving their viewpoint with no opposition.

The only way a person can get it straight is by thinking about the news, not just consuming it. Read every news source you can, NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL, and then decide whether it's news or propaganda.

There are watchdogs out there looking for media bias.
Take a look at MEDIAMATTERS.ORG or THATLIBERALMEDIA.COM or NEWHOUNDS.US
This plays out pretty well in the classroom, but not in the newsroom.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

ďAn armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.Ē
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 02:11 PM

What plays out well in the classroom? The theory of objectivity in journalism? Do you work in a newsroom?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
What plays out well in the classroom? The theory of objectivity in journalism? Do you work in a newsroom?
Yep, the theories of objectivity in journalism are great in the classroom, not in the newsroom. Please see any major newspaper, or network news show for proof. Unless you yourself are extremely liberal, you can see their bias. I sure enjoyed it while I was liberal, now it disgusts me.

I am one of the official spokespersons for my department. I deal with reporters, of all media outlets, almost daily.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

ďAn armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.Ē
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 Notch
Yep, the theories of objectivity in journalism are great in the classroom, not in the newsroom. Please see any major newspaper, or network news show for proof. Unless you yourself are extremely liberal, you can see their bias. I sure enjoyed it while I was liberal, now it disgusts me.

I am one of the official spokespersons for my department. I deal with reporters, of all media outlets, almost daily.
I watch and read more news than I care to. I have a pretty good idea when a journalist steps oversteps those boundaries. I disagree with you when you say that just about any major newspaper or newcast has "proof" for me. It might not be as prevalent as you make it. It's out there, I agree but it isn't everywhere. It disgusts you?

Objectivity ultimately rests upon the last person checking it. EP, newsdirector, gm. If one story gets through, do you deem the whole network/newspaper biased?

Can you fill me in on which network and newspapers are overstepping their objectivity frequently?
It seems most news outlets got their a-hole puckered tight to avoid the same rathergate backlash.

What reporters do you deal with? Do they spew liberal agenda in person and product?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 03:57 PM

the problem facing the media is not if their facts are straight, its what they are reporting about. you saw fox news and the other media outlets after 9/11 and even today. they are close-minded and aren't open to other topics because the american people as a whole are closeminded. so the news will be closeminded. cause and effect. there is more to life than what the news reports, but the american people dont want to hear it or see it.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 04:11 PM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyk10971
the problem facing the media is not if their facts are straight, its what they are reporting about
Yep.

Reporting truthfully about all of the "bad" things that are going on in Iraq and not reporting about the "good" things and progress may be a bit biased, eh?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 04:22 PM

I agree. It's pretty pathetic that newscasts are polluted with the latest missing white girl and whos-doing-who celebrity drama. Broadcast news is tailored to appeal to one certain demographic. Advertisers want consumers. Cause and effect. This obsession doesn't seem to muddy up the news outside the U.S. though. It really is bad here.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 04:25 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
I agree. It's pretty pathetic that newscasts are polluted with the latest missing white girl and whos-doing-who celebrity drama. Broadcast news is tailored to appeal to one certain demographic. Advertisers want consumers. Cause and effect. This obsession doesn't seem to muddy up the news outside the U.S. though. It really is bad here.
The media shows exactly what the average person wants to see.

What would you rather hear or see, the latest from the US House of Representatives or some car chase on 75?

The media is showing exactly what joe six pack wants to see.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 04:39 PM

america has been consumed by themselves and the only way to solve all the problems that face us today is to look at them without blinds ( Religion, greed, angry, fear, etc...) we have to see what the best solution is for the whole not the part, we wont survive long if we cant compromise with each other
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
The media shows exactly what the average person wants to see.

What would you rather hear or see, the latest from the US House of Representatives or some car chase on 75?

The media is showing exactly what joe six pack wants to see.
They would much rather listen to reports about some run away bride then see pictures of a bus blown to bits, with body parts of 10 people laying every where.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 04:41 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog
They would much rather listen to reports about some run away bride then see pictures of a bus blown to bits, with body parts of 10 people laying every where.
True.

But what they should be wanting to hear about is what the dolts in Washington are up to. That way when a new law is passed they don't say, "WTF? I can't believe they passed that without anyone knowing it!"

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog
So how is the bride anyway? I can't believe that guy is going to marry her. I gotta go watch some reality TV. Later....
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I watch and read more news than I care to. I have a pretty good idea when a journalist steps oversteps those boundaries. I disagree with you when you say that just about any major newspaper or newcast has "proof" for me. It might not be as prevalent as you make it. It's out there, I agree but it isn't everywhere. It disgusts you?

Objectivity ultimately rests upon the last person checking it. EP, newsdirector, gm. If one story gets through, do you deem the whole network/newspaper biased?

Can you fill me in on which network and newspapers are overstepping their objectivity frequently?
It seems most news outlets got their a-hole puckered tight to avoid the same rathergate backlash.

What reporters do you deal with? Do they spew liberal agenda in person and product?
Two recent articles come to mind specifically, but see the post from mikeb about not reporting the good about Iraq and all the bad for the liberal bias. The worst offenders in print are the NY Times, Boston Globe, Chicago Sun-Times, and the LA Times. There are many others on TV, like CBS, NBC, ABC for national network news. Find one reporter who makes it onto national news who is a Republican.

The reports in the Star-Telegram about priests in the FW diocese say that 8 priests had a total of 28 allegations against them. The reporter does not go into how many each specific priest had, but I know for a fact that 3 of them each had 1, and Teczar had more than 5 on his own. The article read like each of the 8 had 3-4 a piece. I have my specific reasons for being upset at the lack of clarity on this very serious subject.

The second involved the retirement plan for the FW city employees and most importantly firefighters and police officers. The author of the article gave the impression that police officers were getting "rich" off the system and were "fat cats." The author also used terms like "extremely generous" beneift package and made insinuations that the current budget problem in FW was due to police officers in the DROP program, when in fact all evidence suggests it has no effect at all.

My experience has been positive with reporters, but that is because I keep them on a very short leash. If they want an interview with me, and 2-3 times a week they come calling, they don't stab me in the back or they have to explain to their editor why they came back with no story. Word gets around pretty quickly that if you burn bridges in my area, they don't get rebuilt easily.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Two recent articles come to mind specifically, but see the post from mikeb about not reporting the good about Iraq and all the bad for the liberal bias. The worst offenders in print are the NY Times, Boston Globe, Chicago Sun-Times, and the LA Times. There are many others on TV, like CBS, NBC, ABC for national network news. Find one reporter who makes it onto national news who is a Republican.

The reports in the Star-Telegram about priests in the FW diocese say that 8 priests had a total of 28 allegations against them. The reporter does not go into how many each specific priest had, but I know for a fact that 3 of them each had 1, and Teczar had more than 5 on his own. The article read like each of the 8 had 3-4 a piece. I have my specific reasons for being upset at the lack of clarity on this very serious subject.

The second involved the retirement plan for the FW city employees and most importantly firefighters and police officers. The author of the article gave the impression that police officers were getting "rich" off the system and were "fat cats." The author also used terms like "extremely generous" beneift package and made insinuations that the current budget problem in FW was due to police officers in the DROP program, when in fact all evidence suggests it has no effect at all.

My experience has been positive with reporters, but that is because I keep them on a very short leash. If they want an interview with me, and 2-3 times a week they come calling, they don't stab me in the back or they have to explain to their editor why they came back with no story. Word gets around pretty quickly that if you burn bridges in my area, they don't get rebuilt easily.
Do you realize that you named every single national network news organization as being biased? Don't you think that's a little exaggerated? You named all of them except for the worst offender. Why did you omit FOX? Are they not biased? I think I see where you are coming from. You asked me earlier that if I couldnít see the bias, I must be extremely one-sided. Does your omission of FOX make you extremely conservative? Do you see where Iím going?

Iím sure there are plenty of republican reporters. Reporters, smart ones, donít tell the public which party they are affiliated with. That is journalistic suicide and compromises your objectivity.

Sounds to me like you misconstrued what was said in diocese article. 8 priests with 28 total allegations is accurate. True, it does not go into details as to who had what and how many but it is accurate. It happens all the time. For example, 33 killed in 3 suicide bombings. Your example doesnít fit very well. How does that signify losing objectivity or being liberal?

Your second example, I donít have the time to address. Do you have links to the articles so I can see the bias myself?

Keep reporters on a short leash? Do you stand over them as they type? Do you proof what they write before it goes into print? Iíll bet the reporters you talk to would find it amusing you say these things.

You made it sound as though the reporters you deal with are openly-liberal and it disgusts you to hear such things. But in your last replyÖ you said that your experience has been positive.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 04:52 AM

A little bit of history on newspaper endorsements........

Since 1940 when industry trade magazine Editor & Publisher began tracking newspapers during presidential elections, only two Democratic candidates -- Lyndon Johnson in 1964 and Bill Clinton in 1992 -- have ever won more endorsements than their Republican opponent. That's because newspaper publishers, who usually sign off on endorsements, tend to vote Republican (like lots of senior corporate executives), which means GOP candidates pick up more endorsements. A lot more. In 1984, President Reagan landed roughly twice as many endorsements as Democrat Walter Mondale in the president's easy reelection win. And in 1996, despite his weak showing at the polls, 179 daily newspapers endorsed Republican Bob Dole, which easily outpaced the Democrats' tally by nearly a 2-to-1 margin.

"...candidate Bush enjoyed a huge newspaper advantage, picking up nearly 100 more daily endorsements than Gore.
On November 6 E&P predicted a huge win for Bush pointing that newspapers endorsed Bush 2 to 1 nationally and citing data from their survey of 800 top newspapers executives one week before the election (59% for Bush, 20% for Gore)

Election Endorsements..........

John Kerry Endorsements
by state, with link, date, and circulation if available
endorsed Gore in 2000 unless stated otherwise
(U) denotes an unknown endorsement in 2000

AZ: Arizona Daily Star (Tucson): 10/3; 109,592
CA: Contra Costa Times: 10/23; 182,682 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
CA: La Opiniůn (Spanish): (U)
CA: Los Angeles Daily News: 10/24; 200,387 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
CA: Merced Sun-Star: 17,247 (U)
CA: San Francisco Chronicle: 10/17; 501,135
CA: San Jose Mercury News: 10/17; 279,539
CA: Santa Cruz Sentinel: 10/21 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
CA: The Fresno Bee: 166,531
CA: The Modesto Bee: 10/17; 87,366
CA: The Press Democrat (Santa Rosa): 9/19; 89,384
CA: The Sacramento Bee: 10/17; 303,841
CA: Ventura County Star : 10/22; 96,571 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
CO: Daily Camera (Boulder): 10/17; 33,419 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
CT: The Day (New London): 9/26; 39,553 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
DC: The Washington Post: 10/24
FL: Bradenton Herald: 52,163 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
FL: Daytona Beach News-Journal: 10/17; 112,945
FL: Florida Today (Melbourne): 90,877
FL: Sarasota Herald Tribune: 10/24; 106,865
FL: South Florida Sun-Sentinel (Ft. Lauderdale): 10/17; 268,927
FL: St. Petersburg Times: 10/17; 358,502
FL: The Miami Herald: 10/17; 325,032
FL: The Orlando Sentinel: 10/24; 257,191 (1st Democrat endorsed in 40 years) (endorsed Bush in 2000)
FL: The Palm Beach Post: 10/17; 181,727
GA: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution : 10/9; 418,323 (endorsed Bush/Gore[1 ] in 2000)
GA: The Macon Telegraph: 10/24; 89,451 (U)
HI: Honolulu Advertiser: 10/19
HI: Honolulu Star-Bulletin: 10/27; 63,000
IA: The Hawk Eye (Burlington): 19,000
IA: Des Moines Register 10/24
IA: Iowa City Press-Citizen: 10/23, (endorsed Bush in 2000)
ID: Idaho Statesman: 10/24 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
IL: Chicago Sun-Times: 10/24; 486,936 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
IL: Daily Herald (Arlington Heights): 10/17; 150,794 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
KY: Lexington Herald-Leader: 10/17; 122,748
KY: The Courier-Journal (Louisville): 216,934
MA: The Boston Globe: 10/17; 452,109
MA: The Standard-Times (New Bedford): 361,317 (U)
ME: Bangor Daily News: 10/23 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
ME: Portland Press Herald: 10/10; 73,211
MI: Battle Creek Enquirer: 10/17 (U)
MI: Detroit Free Press: 10/4; 354,581
MI: Flint Journal: 10/24 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
MI: Lansing State Journal: 10/24
MI: Livingston Press-Argus (Howell): 10/24 (U)
MI: Muskegon Chronicle: 10/17
MI: Port Huron Times-Herald: 10/24 (U)
MI: The Argus-Press (Owosso): 11,438 (U)
MI: The Muskegon Chronicle: 46,505 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
MI: Traverse City Record-Eagle: 10/24 (U)
MN: Duluth News Tribune: 45,688 (U)
MN: Star Tribune (Minneapolis): 10/17; 377,058
MN: The Free Press (Mankato): 21,591 (U)
MO: Columbia Daily Tribune: 10/17; 18,874 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
MO: St. Louis Post-Dispatch: 10/10; 281,198
MO: The Kansas City Star: 10/17; 269,188
MT: Billings Gazette: 10/24 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
NC: Asheville Citizen-Times: 10/22; 155,591 (U)
NC: The Charlotte Observer: 10/17; 231,369
NC: The Daily Reflector (Greenville): 25,777 (U)
NC: Raleigh News & Observer: 10/24; 451,900-still verifying circ. (endorsed Gore in 2000)
ND: Grand Forks Herald: 10/17; 32,385
ND: The Bismarck Tribune: 10/24; 29,336 (U)
NJ: The Star-Ledger (Newark): 10/24; 407,945 (U)
NM: The Albuquerque Tribune: 10/12; 13,536 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
NV: Nevada Appeal (Carson City): 15,296 (U)
NY: The New York Times: 10/17; 1,133,763
NY: Rochester Democrat and Chronicle: 10/24; a Gannett paper
OH: Suburban News Publications:10/27; 287,051; chain of 22 suburban weeklies (never before endorsed presidential candidate)
OH: Akron Beacon Journal: 139,220
OH: Athens News: 10/18; 18,000
OH: Dayton Daily News: 10/17; 183,175
OH: Toledo Blade: 10/24; 184,244
OR: Daily Vanguard (Portland State University): 10/22
OR: East Oregonian (Pendleton): 10,236 (U)
OR: Mail Tribune (Medford): 10/17; 35,524 (U)
OR: Statesman Journal (Salem): 10/21; 56,298 (U)
OR: The Daily Astorian (Astoria): 8,429 (U)
OR: The Oregonian (Portland): 10/10; 342,040 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
OR: The Register-Guard (Eugene): 72,411
PA: Allentown Morning-Call: 10/24 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
PA: Centre Daily Times: 10/24 (U)
PA: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: 10/24
PA: The Philadelphia Daily News: 6/16; 139,983
PA: The Philadelphia Inquirer: 10/10; 387,692
TN: The Jackson Sun: 35,561
TX: Citizen's Advocate Newspaper (Coppell) : 10/13 (U)
TX: The Lone Star Iconoclast (Crawford): 9/26 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
VA: The Roanoke Times: 10/17; 100,447 (U)
WA: Seattle Post-Intelligencer: 10/10; 150,901
WA: The Seattle Times: 9/9; 361,317 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
WA: The Star (Grand Coulee): 361,317 (U)
WA: Tri-City Herald (Kennewick, Pasco and Richland): 10/25 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
WI: Journal Times, Racine: 10/23; 29,264
WI: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel: 10/28; 244,893 (declined to endorse in 2000)
WI: Wausau Daily Herald: 10/23; 22,757 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
WV: The Charleston Gazette: 10/19; 49,529

[1] The Atlanta Journal endorsed Bush on 10/19/2000 and the Atlanta Constitution endorsed Gore on 10/20/2000.

Other Notable Kerry Endorsements

Financial Times, Oct 25 [1][2]
New Yorker, Oct 25 - "For the first time in its 80-year history, the venerable New Yorker magazine has endorsed a presidential candidate, urging readers Monday to vote for Democrat John Kerry in next week's election. (AFP)" [3]
The Nation, Oct 21
The American Conservative, Nov issue, editors split endorsements (see note [4])
Rolling Stone, Nov. issue
The New Republic, Oct. 21
The Economist, Oct. 28, 2004. "With a heavy heart, we think American readers should vote for John Kerry on November 2nd." (endorsed Bush in 2000)

George W. Bush Endorsements
endorsed Bush in 2000 unless stated otherwise
(U) denotes an unknown endorsement in 2000

AL: Mobile Register: 100,244
AZ: The Arizona Republic (Phoenix): 10/17; 466,926
CA: Long Beach Press-Telegram: 10/24
CA: The Press-Enterprise (Riverside): 191,802
CA: The Record (Stockton): 10/24; 62,139
CA: The Reporter (Vacaville): 10/24; 18,227
CA: The San Diego Union-Tribune: 10/17; 361,317
CO: Rocky Mountain News (Denver): 10/17; 286,004
CO: The Denver Post: 10/24; 288,937 (endorsed Gore in 2000)
Note: On 10/26 the Denver Post editors wrote: "More than 700 readers have given us their thoughts on Sunday's presidential endorsement, and they add up to a passionate dissent. [...] Every letter we received was critical of the Post endorsement; we publish a sampling here today." [5]
CO: The Pueblo Chieftain: 9/27; 52,208 (U)
FL: The Lakeland Ledger 10/22; 70,028
FL: The Ocala Star-Banner: 10/24; 48,069 (U)
GA: Savannah Morning News: 57,288
KY: Bowling Green Daily News: 10/25; 21,288 (U)
IA: Globe-Gazette (Mason City): 18,947 (U)
IL: Chicago Tribune: 10/17; 578,843
IL: The News-Gazette (Champaign-Urbana): 39,190 (U)
IL: Northwest Herald (Crystal Lake): 10/24 (U)
IL: The Pantagraph (Bloomington): 47,931
IN: The Indianapolis Star: 10/17; 253,778
MA: The Sun (Lowell): 361,317
MI: Macomb Daily (Mount Clemens): 10/24 (endorsed Gore in 2000)
MI: Midland Daily News: 10/24 (U)
MI: St. Joseph Herald-Palladium: 10/24 (U)
MI: The Grand Rapids Press: 10/17; 139,216
MI: The Oakland Press (Pontiac): 10/10; 65,484 (U)
NC: Fayetteville Observer: 10/23 (U)
NE: Omaha World-Herald: 197,627
NH: The Union Leader (Manchester): 361,317
NM: Carlsbad Current-Argus: 8,030
NM: Las Cruces Sun-News: 22,168
NV: Las Vegas Review-Journal: 9/12; 170,061
NY: The New York Sun: 18,000 (U)
OH: Cincinnati Enquirer (Gannett): 10/24; 182,176
OH: Cincinnati Post (Gannett): 10/24; 42,219
OH: The Advocate (Newark) (Gannett): 10/24; 22,217
OH: The Columbus Dispatch: 10/24; 371,551
OH: The Courier (Findlay): 22,319
OH: The News Journal (Mansfield) (Gannett):
OH: The Repository (Canton) (Copley Newspapers): 66,014
OH: The Times Reporter (New Philadelphia) (Copley Newspapers): 23,956 (U)
OK: Tulsa World: 361,317
OR: Daily Courier (Grants Pass): 10/24; 16,392 (U)
OR: The News-Review (Roseburg): 19,272 (U)
PA: The Express-Times (Easton): 10/24 (U)
PA: York Daily Record: 10/17; 361,317 (endorsed Gore in 2000)
TN: The Leaf-Chronicle (Clarksville): 22,057 (U)
TX: Amarillo Globe-News: 51,105
TX: El Paso Times: 74,278 (U)
TX: Fort Worth Star-Telegram: 247,167
TX: San Antonio Express-News: 252,889 10/17
TX: The Dallas Morning News: 10/17; 546,177
VA: Richmond Times-Dispatch: 191,732
VA: The Free Lance-Star (Fredericksburg): 47,866
WA: The Columbian (Vancouver): 51,498
WA: The Spokesman-Review (Spokane): 100,760
WI: The Appleton Post-Crescent: 10/24; 52,921 (endorsed Gore in 2000)
WI: Oshkosh Northwestern: 10/22; 21,243
WV: The Charleston Daily Mail: 10/30; 34,539

Declined to Endorse

FL: Tampa Tribune: 10/17; 302,417 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
LA: The New Orleans Times-Picayune: 10/24; 253,610 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
MI: Detroit News: 10/24; 227,392 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
NC: Winston-Salem Journal: 10/17; 85,266 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
PA: The Harrisburg Patriot-News: 10/24; 152,153 (endorsed Bush in 2000)
TX: Bryan-College Station Eagle: 10/17; 25,693 (endorsed Bush in 2000)

Last edited by Slncoupe; 06-28-2005 at 04:59 AM.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 08:00 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Do you realize that you named every single national network news organization as being biased? Don't you think that's a little exaggerated? You named all of them except for the worst offender. Why did you omit FOX? Are they not biased? I think I see where you are coming from. You asked me earlier that if I couldnít see the bias, I must be extremely one-sided. Does your omission of FOX make you extremely conservative? Do you see where Iím going?

Iím sure there are plenty of republican reporters. Reporters, smart ones, donít tell the public which party they are affiliated with. That is journalistic suicide and compromises your objectivity.

Sounds to me like you misconstrued what was said in diocese article. 8 priests with 28 total allegations is accurate. True, it does not go into details as to who had what and how many but it is accurate. It happens all the time. For example, 33 killed in 3 suicide bombings. Your example doesnít fit very well. How does that signify losing objectivity or being liberal?

Your second example, I donít have the time to address. Do you have links to the articles so I can see the bias myself?

Keep reporters on a short leash? Do you stand over them as they type? Do you proof what they write before it goes into print? Iíll bet the reporters you talk to would find it amusing you say these things.

You made it sound as though the reporters you deal with are openly-liberal and it disgusts you to hear such things. But in your last replyÖ you said that your experience has been positive.
Man, I have seen some people who can try and manipulate what I said before, but you take the cake.

Yes, I beleive every major national news outlet is biased, especially ABC, NBC, and CBS.

The fact that you bring up Fox is hinting at your leaning. Why would a liberal be upset at most of the major news outlets being biased so terribly towards your views? The fact is most liberals are not honest enough to see it.

I know talk radio is biased towards conservatism. I would be pretty hypocritical if I only saw bias on one side, wouldn't I?

Yes, the reporters I speak with either read their articles back to me, if I don't trust them, or they don't get the story. There is no right to get a story, just to a free press. I have no requirement to give an interview to someone who can't be trusted. That is the harsh reality of real life vs. class life.

How old are you BTW?

I not only have not misconstrued what was in the article, but have personally met with Father Wilson, the diocese spokesperson, have you? Please don't assume things you have no personal knowledge of. You get punked out pretty quick on thsi site if you do.

Go the FW Star-Telegram site if you want to find the article on the City of FW retirement program. It came out about 8-10 days ago.

I have said my peace and have lost interest in discussing it further. I can no more change your liberal mind than you could have changed mine when I was young and liberal, so make your own decision, but remember, all may not be what the classroom tells you it is.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Man, I have seen some people who can try and manipulate what I said before, but you take the cake.

Yes, I beleive every major national news outlet is biased, especially ABC, NBC, and CBS.

The fact that you bring up Fox is hinting at your leaning. Why would a liberal be upset at most of the major news outlets being biased so terribly towards your views? The fact is most liberals are not honest enough to see it.

I know talk radio is biased towards conservatism. I would be pretty hypocritical if I only saw bias on one side, wouldn't I?

Yes, the reporters I speak with either read their articles back to me, if I don't trust them, or they don't get the story. There is no right to get a story, just to a free press. I have no requirement to give an interview to someone who can't be trusted. That is the harsh reality of real life vs. class life.

How old are you BTW?

I not only have not misconstrued what was in the article, but have personally met with Father Wilson, the diocese spokesperson, have you? Please don't assume things you have no personal knowledge of. You get punked out pretty quick on thsi site if you do.

Go the FW Star-Telegram site if you want to find the article on the City of FW retirement program. It came out about 8-10 days ago.

I have said my peace and have lost interest in discussing it further. I can no more change your liberal mind than you could have changed mine when I was young and liberal, so make your own decision, but remember, all may not be what the classroom tells you it is.

I don't feel as though I manipulated what you had said. I noticed you omitted a certain network, I wanted to know why. I don't think every network out there is biased. You do.

You only told me two or three sentences on each article that upset you. I tried to understand where you found bias. I could not see any obvious bias by what you wrote. I only had to go on what you had written. I wanted to know the basis of your argument. That is why I asked for the URL's.

I haven't met with Father Wilson. I don't care. Write the reporter. Tell him how he disgusts you.

I am old enough and no longer in a classroom.

Don't tell me about getting punked on this site. I've seen your posts. Good day.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 08:42 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I don't feel as though I manipulated what you had said. I noticed you omitted a certain network, I wanted to know why. I don't think every network out there is biased. You do.

You only told me two or three sentences on each article that upset you. I tried to understand where you found bias. I could not see any obvious bias by what you wrote. I only had to go on what you had written. I wanted to know the basis of your argument. That is why I asked for the URL's.

I haven't met with Father Wilson. I don't care. Write the reporter. Tell him how he disgusts you.

I am old enough and no longer in a classroom.

Don't tell me about getting punked on this site. I've seen your posts. Good day.
Very predictable response.

Good day to you.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:25 AM
On a downward spiral

Location: in the land of the crazy and the wicked; a place far far away from reality; in a distant galaxy with demonic beings, a place only known as: crooked I
everything you see on tv is fake, duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
Hopefully this storm will blow idrivea4banger's sig the fuck away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
Someone who is able, needs to put the cock block on his ridiculous sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
and your sig causes distress in 74% of board members and 98% of migratory birds
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
No, your sig sucks like a whitegirl trying to get a promotion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
my excuse is i dont give a fuck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement