Recruiters in Public Schools - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Recruiters in Public Schools

Just got done reading an article that I saw on the Yahoo Homepage:
Here's the url: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050617/...ary_in_schools

Now here's the part that gets me, I quote:
PHILADELPHIA - Nancy Carroll didn't know schools were giving military recruiters her family's contact information until a recruiter called her 17-year-old granddaughter.
"That didn't sit well with Carroll, who believes recruiters unfairly target minority students. So she joined activists across the country who are urging families to notify schools that they don't want their children's contact information given out.

"People of color who go into the military are put on the front line," said the 67-year-old Carroll, who is black."

I will attach a photo to counter this dumbass statement below.

I believe if the government is paying the public schools money, then why can't we have logic to allow recruiters into the schools just like we allow colleges to come in? People want the protection from the government but they don't want to sacrifice just 4 or 5 years of their life. As a matter of fact I hear the Army is considering to offer new recruits the option of 18 month contracts!!

Now, I'm only 25 and when I was 17 I marched my skinny, pimple face, self up to Navy recruiter and just asked him when was the soonest that I could get in. I had no desire for college "at that time". So without desire how could I possible get good grades?

Is it really that hard for someone to look at a recruiter and just say "no thanks"?

I'm am the furthest thing from a racist. But I can be considered prejiduce because I can't stand STUPID PEOPLES COMMENTS!

Here is the story about this Marine>
"Never Stopped Fighting"

Here's an inspiring photograph and story we recently received:

Marine 1st Sergeant Brad Kasal (in the middle). This photo is from the most recent major offensive in Fallujah. 1stSgt. Kasal sacrificed his own safety to save a room full of fellow Marines. He ended up taking several AK rounds in the leg. Most of his lower leg was blown away but you can't tell it from this pic. He took rounds in the back which his armor saved him from. He took one round through his butt which passed through both cheeks leaving 4 holes in him. And he also took the brunt of a grenade blast. He jumped on top of a younger Marine to cover him from the fire. He killed the terrorist who did most of the damage to him and his men, and despite a massive loss of blood he never stopped fighting. Notice that he's still holding his pistol. He has been put in for the Medal of Honor for his actions on that day. He already has several Purple Hearts for previous battles throughout his career and he has turned some down so that he could stay with his unit. While in the hospital he has met President Bush, Donald Rumsfeld and several other celebrities. He said that Bush came in by himself and had a very long, sincere, and friendly visit with him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 07:04 PM

I'm with you totally on this one.... This REALLY pissed me off to read...

"That didn't sit well with Carroll, who believes recruiters unfairly target minority students. So she joined activists across the country who are urging families to notify schools that they don't want their children's contact information given out.

"People of color who go into the military are put on the front line," said the 67-year-old Carroll, who is black."

This is just some angry old black woman trying to stir up crap that isn't there.

A. I was previously active duty military, and in the last couple years went back in the guard. BOTH TIMES, my recruiter HIMSELF was black... So yeah...I'm sure they were both "out to get" those minorities and throw them up on the front lines... B.S.

B. When you join the military, YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT to choose your job (of course this depends on your ASVAB scores somewhat, as far as what you are QUALIFIED to train for) You can very easily CHOOSE your career field if you have decent scores, and NOT sign on unless they guarantee you that job on your enlistment contract. If you don't choose a job and just go in like a FOOL with an open general enlistment, then that is your fault for being stupid. For example...They can't put an X-ray tech or something out in a ranger or combat control job....Obviously the job you choose, will either put you on the front lines, or in some other type of support position. And recruiters put you into jobs based a LOT on your test scores. It is much harder to fill the jobs that require high ASVAB scores than it is to fill basic combat jobs... Just the pool of recruits they have to work with...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 08:04 AM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/200531321.asp

Quote:
Although blacks of military age comprise 14 percent of the population, 22.7 percent of army recruits were black in 2001. This went down to 19.9 percent in 2002, 16.4 percent in 2003 and has recently been 13.9 percent. Surveys indicate that fear of getting killed or wounded is also a factor, as potential recruits note that a large proportion of the casualties in Iraq are non-combat troops. So, despite an unemployment level twice that of whites, blacks have been avoiding the army.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 03:10 AM
Foxbody King

I joined the army when i was 17, Poeple all have to use the race card its bullshit

2003 cobra DSG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement