You just have to love the unions. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
GO TROOPS!!

You just have to love the unions.

GM is hitting bottom. Or is GM saying SEE YA to the overpayed 60-70-80 thousand dollar paychecks that screw nuts and bolts together. Tell me what you guys think. I say the USA better watch a little sling-blade and get back to the roots. My Aunt hardly uses proper English and makes 70+ at GM in OKC. The union will never let her get fired, BUT..................... This country better get its act together and get off of its ass or..................... I say GM is owned by Japan or France or Germany in the next 5 years and Ford soon to follow. Why did Rome fall? Many suggestions. Why did the USA fall...many thoughts. Lets here yours.

2003 Cobra "stock"
1990 GTwww.geocities.com/lilthumpert70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Lifer

The f*cking sky is falling, AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Yeah, we're losing our superpower, welcome to China bitches.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 07:56 PM

Im related to a few union workers... They tell me shit all the time about how they dont do shit. their managers bitch at them but they dont even acknowledge them. It's quite funny, I ask how do you get away with that? "I'm union they can't fire me, I do what I want!"

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Lifer

even when they're laid off the GM UAW workers get almost 90% of their pay.....
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
GO TROOPS!!

Hey, lets all go to Wal-mart and buy some stuff from China. Hey, lets all bitch about our 17-22 dollar/hr job that the union has given us. Hey, lets not go buy anything from Wal-Mart because we don't have a job. Hey guys, lets go get that $7/hr job at Wal-Mart.

2003 Cobra "stock"
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:27 PM
IA2

With globalization the US is now engaged in a race to the bottom on wages & salaries simply because a lot of US jobs can be done overseas for far cheaper. There has been a steady erosion of middle and lower class jobs to other countries for many years, starting with manufacturing in the 70s and now moving into white collar and high tech areas.

Not all jobs will move, and not all salaries will be affected. But many of them will. I see it in my own industry (computers; US computer jobs are moving to india at a torrid pace). Of course, with more people looking for jobs and fewer jobs available the prevailing wages will be less.

The union certainly binds the ability of the automakers to move in certain ways; perhaps the unions have been responsible for keeping many US manufacturing jobs here in the lower 48 that would have already been shipped elsewhere without that union contract; I dunno.

I expect GM will flirt with chapter 11 and in doing so will shed it's pension and union contracts. After that GM will be able to make changes to be more competative.

When that happens the loss of jobs and the impact on the US economy will be huge.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb
When that happens the loss of jobs and the impact on the US economy will be huge.

It is also inevitable. It is going to happen.. not only to GM and the car industry... but others as well.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
GO TROOPS!!

My next door neighbor now hates me. I simply had to say, "hey, did you hear about GM laying off 25,000 people ?" And it all started there. >>> he is an ex union member of 35 yrs, and yes, he worked for GM. He didn't much like what I had to say about the union.

2003 Cobra "stock"
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilthumper
My next door neighbor now hates me. I simply had to say, "hey, did you hear about GM laying off 25,000 people ?" And it all started there. >>> he is an ex union member of 35 yrs, and yes, he worked for GM. He didn't much like what I had to say about the union.

Im sure he didnt, the union ensured that he didnt have to work to hard for 35 years. Thats why union works are all about the union. Go Figure.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 01:18 PM

Screw the unions. At one time they had a good purpose but now they are corrupt and want everything for nothing. People and organizations like that is what will send this country down the tubes.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 04:28 PM
gear jammer

As usual, more asinine remarks and comments from some of you.
"My uncle Bubba down here in Texas says he dont do shit cause the union protects him

Here is a memo to you tools.Nobody is "made" lazy.You are either a good productive worker or your not.There are numerous good workers and lazy ass workers in any company.
As someone who worked in the trucking industry for many years in both union and non-union companies I have seen it firsthand. I currently keep a job in a non-union plant parttime right now for the medical benefits.Some of the lazy asses here would astound you.

As for GM, this is sad to me.Its just further proof of the erosion of the middle class and the loss of good paying American jobs.I have sympathy for anyone who loses there job.Most people are there to put food on the table and have absolutely no control over market forces.

I have respect for anyone that works an honest job.Lord knows there are enough people who wont work and become leaches on society.Many of them are the same ones who rip your cars off because its easier to them than working for a living.

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB

Last edited by bucky; 06-08-2005 at 06:52 PM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
GO TROOPS!!

You ARE the tool my sir for making that comment. You are a tool for simply not realizing that yes, there are hard working people in the UAW union that will get nowhere because of the union and those that are lazy that will keep there job because of the union. The union was needed in the early 1900's, not now. And yes, the GM brass and the USA government are partially to blame also. Where is the turbo cobalt or turbo focus ???? Where it the turbo mits, dodge, subaru, etc... all foreign companies. Go figure that one out.

2003 Cobra "stock"
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 08:39 PM
gear jammer

I am trying to figure out what the fuck you just said?

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 10:22 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky
I am trying to figure out what the fuck you just said?
LOL. Just say yes sir, lilthumper.

Lilthumper, new car looks good!

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 12:40 AM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
I work for a company that has a union, and I will say this, the pay is great, the benefits rock, but the fact that I have to do other people's work because they can't get fired blows dog. there are at least 15 to 20 people in my group alone that should have been shown the door a long time ago, but the union protects them.

another thing about the union that I don't like, we had some people who used fake dr notes to get out work early when that time could have gone to someone who really needed it. those people got walked out but yet the union is fighting to get their job back. WHY? they tried to cheat the company, got caught now let them go find another job. they asked all of us to wear black to show support for those walked out, I wore white. Fuck them and fuck those that try to protect the people who do shit like that.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 10:47 AM
Secular Dogooderist

They can't keep up with everybody else because they pay their employees too much. Common problem at most companies, some deal with it by hiring cheaper labor, like mexicans. I hate to say it but it kinda goes to show how hardcore GM is about keepin it's shit here on our own soil. But then maybe they laid those folks off to make way for cheaper work. Who knows, just the way i see it.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
This will help everyone out, check it.
It is time we acknowledged a basic feature of human discourse: when considering the truth of a proposition, one is either engaged in an honest appraisal of the evidence and logical arguments, or one is not. Religion is the one area of our lives where people imagine that some other standard of intellectual integrity applies.
-Sam Harris
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 10:58 AM
That's my Ass

They need to get rid of the union and people who want there job can stay and the people who don't rehire with new employee's the job market is full of people willing to work maybe shut the plant down for a week to train the new employee's. Problem solved GM has came out with pure junk the last 5-8 years and and they have lost my business
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 11:30 AM
reppin tha westside

worked as a non union vendor in a union shop (airline) and saw shit that made me crazy there were instances of theft, MAJOR drug use on the job, guys sleeping most of their shift....on and on. All protected by the union. Unions had thier place in the 1900's...not now If you bust your ass for the man, your "union brothers" WILL complain to the shop steward for you to slow down, because you make their lazy ass look bad. GM will break the union, hire whoever to build vehicles, and wash the pension plan down the drain, while the top execs get their big bonus
God i hate corporate america

------------------------------------------------------------------------
El Duderino.......of the Crown Royal Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Jester, your posts do the same thing as going to a county fair, you really make people think "Hey, I'm not so fucked up after looking at that guy!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement