So are the dems obstructing lawmaking? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
IA2

Angry So are the dems obstructing lawmaking?

I've been watching the upcoming fight in the senate concerning the filibustering that the dems engage in to stop bush's judical appointees, and the republicans consideration of a new law that would do away with filibusters and force a vote.

The dems are threating to grind the senate to a halt in retilation if the republicans vote in the law. The republicans simply want a yes/no vote for each candidate, but the dem filibusters prevent that from happening.

As I understand the issue with the nominees the dems are against many of them because they have expressed a belief in a particular religious faith; i've heard this said time and again on various radio talk shows and have read it in the news.

I know that occasionally a filibuster will get used to block certain things from happening in the senate, but it seems to me that the dems have taken it to a level that is far and above what is reasonable and expected. Now that the republicans are considering taking away the abused procedure the dems are whining about it like 2 year olds. IMO once again the dems are proving that they are out of touch with the average american who (my opinion again) has little interest in the liberal judges the dems want in office.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like we should kick out the lot of them (washington politicians) and start over with some people that actually have the country's best interest at heart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Lifer

I feel that the fillibuster is a useful device in the law making to a point, but there are people that use and abuse it.

I agree that we should just wipe the slate clean and start all over again.

Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLilPony
If you call me, I'll have phone sex with you.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 06:55 AM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Republicans are being pussies, push the names and make the democrats stand up there and speak for 24 hours a day.

Democrats are going to be loosing their power on their legislative means of last resort, the courts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 08:13 AM
Lifer

I say let the filibuster go through for about 1-2 weeks with the Dems up there speaking 24/7. With cable news shows the Dems will look like the petty whiners they are.

I just wonder if any of them have thought about running to Canada like the TX Dems did when they left for Louisiana. LOL!

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 09:23 PM
Never settle always excel

We have had fillibusters for a long time, I do not see why one use of it is more critical than another. Remember that everyone has their own opinion on what is and isn't just. Do you remember Southern Democrat Strom Thurmond. I found the quote below somewhere on google. I say our country operates on principles that have guided us for years I do not agree with doing away with tools that assist our men and women in government no matter what party they side with. Party power changes in cycles the republicans will one day loose power in DC and hopefully they will also be able to fillibuster if they so wish to get their point accross.

"Thurmond holds the record for the longest filibuster in Senate history; he spoke against the 1957 civil rights bill for twenty-four hours, eighteen minutes. He switched from the Democratic to the Republican Party in 1964 and aided Barry Goldwater in his unsuccessful bid for the Presidency against Lyndon Johnson"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 09:31 PM
Lifer

The Reps have NEVER used filibustering for Presidential appointments. Just take a simple up/down vote! It's all the Dems have right now, and probably for a good while. The party is in such disarray, they are holding on for dear life.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 10:39 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

whats happening here is they are preventing a majority decision, the majority will vote in the appointees, the democrats want to avoid this. Basically, this is like bombing voting stations during the presidential debate, to prevent the majority from winning.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 05:45 AM
Lifer

It's a shame that the Democratic Party is almost defunct as we know it. The flaming far-left have hijacked the party, and are steering it towards doom. My grandparents would be stunned. The FDR Dems are about extinct...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Lifer

Come on PT, take off your partisan blinders. This is the first time in history that filibusters have been used to stop a vote on judicial nominees that have enough votes to get appointed. The dems are finally out of majority power and they are acting like 3 year old crybabies. Don't try to hide the obvious and water it down by trying to argue for filibusters. This issue is not about filibusters, it is about the use of that legitimate tactic where it had never been used before. Honor and dignity is eluding your party and most Americans will see through it in the next couple of elections.

I just hope you remember all your support of the dems doing things that have never been done when the Republicans decide to whine and complain by doing things that have never been done before. I just wonder if they will decide to filibuster when it has never been done before or if they will leave their posts when they are in the minority and don't like what the majority his doing.

(Yes, I know the shot about leaving like school children was a state action by your state dem leaders)

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement