Liberals in the military - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
The Janitor

Liberals in the military

To debase a rumor started by the girl i am seeing (who is in the reserves), i want to know if "the majority of soldiers are against the war" and " there are lots of people who are outspoken against bush"

I just am not seeing it. Sounds like a load of crap , actually.

Of course i dont say this to her face, i just smile and nod =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Most people that would say that, live in a small world that includes people with similar feelings and ideals. They get the impression that everyone around them thinks that way, so the whole world must too.

I just did a search for news articles, from any source during 2005, that delt with morale of the troops. I couldn't find any story. I would think that if the troops were unhappy, they would be letting it known. I am sure that their are a few troops that don't want to be there, they only signed up for the college money, but that is their fault.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 11:13 AM

Are you in the military? What would make you think otherwise? With her being in the armed forces, one would think she would have more first-hand knowledge of the troops morale than you would. Why would she lie to her boyfriend (who looks to dfwstangs to debunk her)?

I'm sure there are alot of soldiers who speak for..... and against the ongoing operations. Those who speak out against the war are probably selective and quiet about their discontent.

The violence they have seen and continue to see would take a toll on anyone's morale. Their deployments have been long, and their departures continue to get pushed back. Even recruitment back home is suffering. These factors would take a toll on me..... but, I'm just civilian, what do I know???

Last, what makes you think that because a soldier speaks out against the war.... that he or she is a LIBERAL?

The only way we will ever know what those men and women are thinking is for them to come home and tell us themselves.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slncoupe
Are you in the military? What would make you think otherwise? With her being in the armed forces, one would think she would have more first-hand knowledge of the troops morale than you would. Why would she lie to her boyfriend (who looks to dfwstangs to debunk her)?
No, I am not in the military. This woman being in the reserves is not the same thing as being in theater with an active unit either. With my experience from the Marines and most of my family either been/being in the military or married to someone in the military, having friends that are still in, or having friends that have family that are in, if troops morale was low, I am sure that I would hear about it. So, I think I have about as much contact to military than this woman does and I have contacts in the Army, Marines, Coast Guard.

It is still he said, she said, they said. Like I said before, show me the morale problem.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Time Served

TDD to see how the military moral is you have to look at retention stats for active and reserve personal. You remember while you were in I am sure. If the press comes calling you refer them to the Public Affairs Officer. In a perfect world you don't even give them your opinion on if the sky is blue or not. With the new Brac list last week we all got the same email and briefs saying don't talk to the press don't even give a personal opinion cause it might be construed as that of the whole military.

As far as liberals or whatever in the military I am sure there are some but you don't see them just like you don't see to many hawks. We just hunker down do our jobs and try to do them well.

As for Bush bashing same thing. I hated having that clown Clinton as my CiC yet if his lawfull orders were passed on I would have carried them out. The military has all sorts of people from all over with all sorts of ideas. We just play by different rules. When we signed that paper to join we gave up some freedoms and gained others so its a good trade.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couver
TDD to see how the military moral is you have to look at retention stats for active and reserve personal. You remember while you were in I am sure. If the press comes calling you refer them to the Public Affairs Officer. In a perfect world you don't even give them your opinion on if the sky is blue or not. With the new Brac list last week we all got the same email and briefs saying don't talk to the press don't even give a personal opinion cause it might be construed as that of the whole military.
Yes, I understand that. I also heard that the Army missed it's recuiting target for April.

I personally think that everyone gives up a lot of liberties, including their politics, when they join the military.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 05:36 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog
Yes, I understand that. I also heard that the Army missed it's recuiting target for April.

I personally think that everyone gives up a lot of liberties, including their politics, when they join the military.

Yeah recruiting is down for the Army. In the Navy we are downsizing again and there is even a "Blue to Green" program for Sailors we don't want to join the Army. As far as giving stuff up you are right on. If they don't like it do their time or get kicked out

I know I am towing the party line a bit but I am so sick of these whinning little fucks comming in now days who think they have rights. "Why do I have to take out the garbage" They think its an affront to them and not something we all did when we were their rank. Plus our senior leadership does not help IE Officers making this more like a corporation then the Military. To much touchy feely shit going on. Plus the new brainwaves is to be eligible for a Sailor to go up for E-7 or highr then have to have a degree of some sort. Yet they don't provide the means harldy. Plus anyone who has time to get their degree on a sea tour is not doing their jobs.

Sorry for the long rant I get going on stuff and get keyboard diarrhea.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
The Janitor

Im definately not her boyfriend, but i figured rather than calling her on it, i would ask here to see if its true or not. Nothing more too it. I figured finding out from the men and women here who directly serve over there and from people who i dont have a bias for or against would be a pretty accurate descriptor, rather than having the information filtered through to me through a proxy =)

And besides, you kind of told me yourself couver that if they DO have reservations with the war, they would likely keep it to themselves and do their duty regardless of their political affiliations or ideals. What i was trying to see was if there were "tons who were outspoken about it". Thats they thing that quirked my brow when said.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Worship me

A smart person realizes that they signed on to do whatever the CiC says. If you don't like war then don't sign up, it's as simple as that.

You don't hear any of these fucks complaining when they get to sit around base all weekend doing jack shit and getting paid. But now that there is some action you hear some complaining. I got no sympathy for them.

Recruiting is down because the lazy fucks who want to get paid for nothing have realized that they might have to fight. Nothing more, nothing less. If I was a lazy fuck who wanted my college paid for I wouldn't sign up right now either.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Time Served

32V I am in contact with people all over our base and my unit supports over 500 reserves. I have yet to hear anyone outspoken about the war at all. Anyone like that would have been found by the Media long ago I have heard some reserves getting butt hurt over pay cuts from their civilian jobs and such but they have all nutted up and gone. As I said and AL P hit right on the head if they signed the paper they did it to themselves and can't say shit.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Banned

Location: If I listened to you, i would have a mustang just like yours!
anyone who does not support this war watches to much tv
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
The Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couver
32V I am in contact with people all over our base and my unit supports over 500 reserves. I have yet to hear anyone outspoken about the war at all. Anyone like that would have been found by the Media long ago I have heard some reserves getting butt hurt over pay cuts from their civilian jobs and such but they have all nutted up and gone. As I said and AL P hit right on the head if they signed the paper they did it to themselves and can't say shit.
Heh. Thats what i figured. I bet the " lots of people in my unit" is really only like 2 guys. =)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Wolverines!!!

Most people just dont like all the deployments coming up. Especially in small MOS's where we are going ot be spending 7months in country 7 months back home, and then come back for another 7 months and the same process over and over. My MOS is about to drop from 65 to 50 if they dont stop/loss or get us a bunch of new boots.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 02:25 AM
Christian Woman

Thumbs up

There are, in fact, quite a lot of folks who are against the war and against Bush. I have noticed something, however, regarding those who do feel that way. While there are a small number of them who feel that way as a part of their belief system, the overwhelming majority of them are the guys who are in the Army to get some college money, or to have some steady cash for a few years.....so of COURSE they are anti-war...Bush and Iraq is keeping them in the Army longer, and they hate the Army.

Just about every person I've talked to that actually WANTS to be here is 100% behind our efforts in Iraq/elsewhere and behind President Bush.

In other words...the anti-bush anti-war sentiment within the Army (at least as I view it) is largely based on ignorance and/or selfish desires.

J.
Shut that [email protected]'s mouth or I'll come over there and f&ck-start her head.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 06:59 PM

I would have to agree with the others/most of the complainers thought they would get some easy ride and some cash and now they have to go to war, I am in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area(lots of military needless to say), I am an F&I mgr and did deals with 3 military guys yesterday and they believe in what is going on, I spoke with a real nice guy yesterday who is a navy seal, just got back two days ago and will be leaving again shortly, I told him that wasnt much rest, he said there is still a lot of work to be done and he would stay as long as need be, I believe the real soldiers fight more for the guys next to them then for the politics involved in the whole thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement