Humanity from the rubble of 9/11 - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Humanity from the rubble of 9/11

Poor girl....that really sucks for her, and other kids like her. Guess being down here, we're still a little isolated.....I didn't lose any family in the attacks, and I'm glad I don't have to go thru what this family does.

Bush pauses to comfort teen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'This girl lost her mom in the World Trade Center on 9-11'

By Kristina Goetz
The Cincinnati Enquirer

During his visit to the Golden Lamb Inn in Lebanon, President Bush stops to hug Ashley Faulkner, who lost her mom in the Sept. 11 attacks.
Photo by Lynn Faulkner

In a moment largely unnoticed by the throngs of people in Lebanon waiting for autographs from the president of the United States, George W. Bush stopped to hold a teenager's head close to his heart.

Lynn Faulkner, his daughter, Ashley, and their neighbor, Linda Prince, eagerly waited to shake the president's hand Tuesday at the Golden Lamb Inn. He worked the line at a steady campaign pace, smiling, nodding and signing autographs until Prince spoke:

"This girl lost her mom in the World Trade Center on 9-11."

Bush stopped and turned back.

"He changed from being the leader of the free world to being a father, a husband and a man," Faulkner said. "He looked right at her and said, 'How are you doing?' He reached out with his hand and pulled her into his chest."

Faulkner snapped one frame with his camera.

"I could hear her say, 'I'm OK,' " he said. "That's more emotion than she has shown in 21/2 years. Then he said, 'I can see you have a father who loves you very much.' "

"And I said, 'I do, Mr. President, but I miss her mother every day.' It was a special moment."

Special for Lynn Faulkner because the Golden Lamb was the place he and his wife, Wendy Faulkner, celebrated their anniversary every year until she died in the south tower of the World Trade Center, where she had traveled for business.

The day was also special for Ashley, a 15-year-old Mason High School student, because the visit was reminiscent of a trip she took four years ago with her mother and Prince. They spent all afternoon in the rain waiting to see Bush on the campaign trail. Ashley remembers holding her mother's hand, eating Triscuits she packed and bringing along a book in case she got bored.

But this time was different. She understood what the president was saying, and she got close enough to see him face to face.

"The way he was holding me, with my head against his chest, it felt like he was trying to protect me," Ashley said. "I thought, 'Here is the most powerful guy in the world, and he wants to make sure I'm safe.' I definitely had a couple of tears in my eyes, which is pretty unusual for me."

The photo has been circulating across the country, Faulkner said. Relatives have passed it on to friends, bosses and acquaintances. As they tell the story, they also share in Wendy Faulkner's legacy, which her family continues through the Wendy Faulkner Memorial Children's Foundation.

"I'm a pretty cynical and jaded guy at this point in my life," Faulkner said of the moment with the president. "But this was the real deal. I was really impressed. It was genuine and from the heart."

Last edited by HookEm; 05-06-2004 at 07:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 07:31 PM
Secular Dogooderist

If she only knew...

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
This will help everyone out, check it.
It is time we acknowledged a basic feature of human discourse: when considering the truth of a proposition, one is either engaged in an honest appraisal of the evidence and logical arguments, or one is not. Religion is the one area of our lives where people imagine that some other standard of intellectual integrity applies.
-Sam Harris
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

wtf is that supposed to mean?

Quote:
Originally posted by BadLXHB302
If she only knew...

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 10:02 PM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

Clinton

would have been copping a feel
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 12:02 PM
Lifer

Re: Clinton

Quote:
Originally posted by jyro
LMAO! Your probably right..........
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Re: Clinton

Quote:
Originally posted by jyro
LMFAO, so true.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Still wondering what this inane comment is supposed to mean.....

Quote:
If she only knew...

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 12:34 AM
Secular Dogooderist

what a horrible, horrible man he is.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
This will help everyone out, check it.
It is time we acknowledged a basic feature of human discourse: when considering the truth of a proposition, one is either engaged in an honest appraisal of the evidence and logical arguments, or one is not. Religion is the one area of our lives where people imagine that some other standard of intellectual integrity applies.
-Sam Harris
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

wow....who can argue with that well thought out comment.

Quote:
what a horrible, horrible man he is.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement