Why are liberals against the war in iraq? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Why are liberals against the war in iraq?

What's wrong with wanting to liberate a country from a brutal dictator?

What's wrong with wanting to bring democracy to the middle east?

I thought these would all be something liberals would stand for.
I guess they are just in the habit of blaming america first.

Any one have any other ideas why Liberals are always against what America does?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Pushed to the limit

I am against being someplace where you are not wanted.

Who says that the Iraqi people want democracy? Their religious beliefs and customs will not allow it.

More than likely, after we leave there with none of our goals fully accomplished, there will be a civil war.

But thats the kind of thing that happens when you think that the way you do things is best for everyone.

I feel bad for the Iraqi people. The worst is yet to come for them...but they already know that.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 12:52 AM
KJ94GT

broncopower, why did you sign up with a new name? Get tired of KorruptKonservatives?
Also, why are you fordforever too???

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally posted by KJ94GT
broncopower, why did you sign up with a new name? Get tired of KorruptKonservatives?
busted!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally posted by KJ94GT
He's flipping those screen names just about as fast as John Kerry flips his positions
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 01:48 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by 281R
He's flipping those screen names just about as fast as John Kerry flips his positions
LMAO
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 01:51 PM
Secular Dogooderist

Quote:
Originally posted by 281R
It will never die...

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
This will help everyone out, check it.
It is time we acknowledged a basic feature of human discourse: when considering the truth of a proposition, one is either engaged in an honest appraisal of the evidence and logical arguments, or one is not. Religion is the one area of our lives where people imagine that some other standard of intellectual integrity applies.
-Sam Harris
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 10:46 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally posted by PWTRTXSS

Who says that the Iraqi people want democracy? Their religious beliefs and customs will not allow it.

More than likely, after we leave there with none of our goals fully accomplished, there will be a civil war.
What customs and religious beliefs won't allow it? Turkey is nearly 100% Muslim and they have a democracy. It seems to work for them fairly well.

We accomplished our primary goal of regime change, maybe you missed the news but Saddam is in jail and his sons are dead. There is no military dictatorship in Iraq anymore.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Never settle always excel

Re: Why are liberals against the war in iraq?

Quote:
Originally posted by broncopower
What's wrong with wanting to liberate a country from a brutal dictator?

What's wrong with wanting to bring democracy to the middle east?

I thought these would all be something liberals would stand for.
I guess they are just in the habit of blaming america first.

Any one have any other ideas why Liberals are always against what America does?
First off what do you consider America? I am liberal in my own right and never blame America for anything, so get your story straight flunky. I am american served 9 years in the Army, was in Desert Storm, Africa, and Bosnia. Have you ever been around the Iraqi people, I have, given their basic education level it is not their fault but democracy has to be craved and preached from within. Well that is not what is being preached over there for the most part. They don't have the same ideals our founding fathers had and now is not the correct time for them to transition into a democracy such as ours. As for the Turks mentioned in a later post, they were greatly influenced by the British and their culture is quite different also, they are very westernized in comparison to the rest of the middle east.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 11:22 AM
Hero in a half shell

Re: Re: Why are liberals against the war in iraq?

Quote:
Originally posted by Pro Trash
First off what do you consider America? I am liberal in my own right and never blame America for anything, so get your story straight flunky. I am american served 9 years in the Army, was in Desert Storm, Africa, and Bosnia. Have you ever been around the Iraqi people, I have, given their basic education level it is not their fault but democracy has to be craved and preached from within. Well that is not what is being preached over there for the most part. They don't have the same ideals our founding fathers had and now is not the correct time for them to transition into a democracy such as ours. As for the Turks mentioned in a later post, they were greatly influenced by the British and their culture is quite different also, they are very westernized in comparison to the rest of the middle east.
You realize broncopower is the same person as Korruptkonservative right?

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 01:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Why are liberals against the war in iraq?

Quote:
Originally posted by x_redhotcobra_x
You realize broncopower is the same person as Korruptkonservative right?
He asked the question about liberals always being against what America does, did you read the whole thread?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 04:04 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally posted by PWTRTXSS
I am against being someplace where you are not wanted.

But thats the kind of thing that happens when you think that the way you do things is best for everyone.

I feel bad for the Iraqi people. The worst is yet to come for them...but they already know that.
I'm not a liberal but I agree.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 01:34 PM
Hero in a half shell

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why are liberals against the war in iraq?

Quote:
Originally posted by Pro Trash
He asked the question about liberals always being against what America does, did you read the whole thread?
My question was a general question, thats all.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 03:00 PM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

Iraq will be free

when the people there decide to fight for freedom, not before.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 08:43 PM

Re: Iraq will be free

Quote:
Originally posted by jyro
when the people there decide to fight for freedom, not before.
That is the best one statement made yet, I agree Jyro.

I was watching the history channel the other day and it was showing the Vietnamese General that led the North in Den Bien Phu when the French were defeated, he also led during America's campaign. I don't agree with all he said as in stating North Vietnams victory over the US but one thing he said rang alarmingly true. He said that no country can force it ideals on another when the invaded country is fighting for it's idea of freedom. After all if you look back powerful nations have lost wars to smaller ones through out history based on that principle, look at our Revolution in the 1770's.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 08:14 AM
Out

Y'all, the Iraqis want us here!

Until you guys see their determination and effort they make to help us rebuild their base, their city, and their nation...

Until you guys see how greatful they are towards us and how they beg us not to leave...

And until you guys see how hopelessly lost they are without our support, I really don't see how some of you can have such a negative attitude on the United States involvement in Iraq.

Shit... these people are more greatful for receiving their freedom than I've ever seen any American for their freedom.

The media doesn't show you all the good that's coming of this. They make me sick!

BTW, I'll be back in the States in mid-August for two weeks. If anyone here has a problem with me going back, come see me.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 10:27 AM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

Denny, thanks for your service.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, we do get a jaded view of whats going on in Iraq. Thanks for helping us understand whats really going on there. Good luck over there.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Time Served

Thanks Denny!

I wonder how different the American perception of the war would be if this wasn't an election year?

I wonder how different the American perception of the war would be if the American media wasn't so greedy and didn't have the philosophy "bad news sells copies"?

I wonder how different the American perception of the war would be if they knew the whole story of what the American troops were doing over there?

I wonder how different the American perception of the war would be if they actually had a chance to go there and help?
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Out

I wish I could tell y'all about some of the stuff going on here, but big brother won't allow that

Every last one of you would be thanking Bush!

(Don't ask either)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement