this is what Purple hearts were ment to be for-- not scratches - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

this is what Purple hearts were ment to be for-- not scratches

West Seattle Grad To Get Purple Heart

April 19, 2004

By John Sharify

Video : KOMO 4 NEWS
Cpl. James Wright, 27, was nearly killed in an ambush in Fallujah when his Humvee hit a mine; the blast took off one arm and his other hand.

WEST SEATTLE - The numbers speak for themselves: 100 U.S. troops killed in Iraq this month -- 11 killed in battles in the past two days. And too many people to count on the homefront who are worried!

Kay Wright nearly lost one of her grandchildren. She writes "Eddie" on her calendar on April 6th as a reminder.

Eddie is U.S. Marine Cpl. James Edward Wright.

The West Seattle High School graduate nearly lost his life in an ambush in Fallujah. That's after the Humvee he was in drove over a land mine.

"I was concerned. It was like 'oh no' he won't have any hands. I was concerned about his injuries and my son said at least he's alive," says Kay Wright.

Eddie Wright is recovering at the Naval Hospital in Bethesda, Maryland. He's had surgeries every other day. He's also had two amputations: his right hand and left arm.

It breaks grandma's heart; a grandma who used to feed Eddie homemade blackberry pie when he was a kid. She's comforted by his positive attitude even as he recovers.

"He's really upbeat about it now. He jokes. I don't know if he realizes what's happened to him really," says Kay Wright. Or whether the 27-year-old realizes he'll be honored with the Purple Heart next week.

It's small comfort for Eddie's uncle, who wants no one else to go through what his nephew is going through.

"And I'd also like to thank all the guys over there for the sacrifice they're making. That would be the first thing I'd say to Eddie. Thank you," says Jerry Wright.

Thank you. And you just know his grandma can't wait to serve him that slice of blackberry pie.

Friends and family of Eddie Wright are asking for donations to help with his rehabilitation. If you'd like to help, you can make donations at any Washington Mutual Branch. The account number at Washington Mutual is 4901342636.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement