DFW Mustang Forums banner

Looks like OU managed to survive the NCAA sanctions somewhat well

404 views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  SVTVenom 
#1 ·
http://newsok.com/article/3081227

INDIANAPOLIS — The Oklahoma football team will vacate all of its wins from the 2005 season as punishment for major violations, the NCAA Committee on Infractions announced today.

The violations stem from pay received by three players — including dismissed quarterback Rhett Bomar and lineman J.D. Quinn — from Big Red Sports and Imports for work they hadn't done. The pay totaled approximately $17,000. The committee found that OU failed to monitor the employment of their football players.

Aside from the vacated wins, OU's penalties.

• Two additional years of probation, extended the period through 2010.

• The loss of two scholarships through the 2009-10 season.

• A reduction by one of the number of coaches who can recruit off campus.

• A public reprimand and censure.

• A disassociation with the dealership manager for five years.

The committee found OU "made several mistakes in a narrow, but significant area — the employment of football student-athletes at the dealership, which resulted in a breakdown of its monitoring. When such mistakes result in significant violations of NCAA legislation, as in this case, a finding of failure to monitor is appropriate and justified.”

The NCAA said the case was significant and serious for several reasons, including because of the Sooners' trip before the committee a year earlier because of its failure to monitor the men's basketball team's contact with recruits.

See less See more
#27 ·
JasonB said:
USC has one, but they still do not have their internal guidlines setup yet. I'm just curious on what their time frame is to get these setup.
I'd say with the way things have gone with Reggie Bush, Dwayne Jarrett, and the illegal recruitment of Joe McKnight..........I'd say next to NEVER.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.