DFW Mustang Forums banner

When to workout

293 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  ruffdaddy 
#1 ·
Ok with this new membership I have to the gym I now have the choice of working out in the morning or at night. I work 10-7 everyday and I could get up and go to the gym at 7am or at 8pm after work. Would one time be better to workout at then the other?

My thoughts are going with in the morning that way my body is refreshed from a good nights sleep, that way I won't have to be loading up on energy during the day just to have some left for a workout at night.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
if I could work out in the AM, I would....I leave the house at 7:00am to drive 5 minutes away and get to work by 8:00....there is no way in hell I am getting up at 4:30 or 5:00 am to work out. The evening is a beating because you are usually tired from work and want to go do something "fun" since you have been stuck in a cube all day...or at least that is me.

#3 ·
it is better if you can work out in the morning. they say around 10:00AM is a good time. I used to hit the weights at 10am when I was laid off. I'd wake up and eat, then eat a shack then a little later I would work out then have lunch. It worked awewsome. I saw some of the best gains that I have ever seen during that time.

#4 ·
MotoMan said:
Ok with this new membership I have to the gym I now have the choice of working out in the morning or at night. I work 10-7 everyday and I could get up and go to the gym at 7am or at 8pm after work. Would one time be better to workout at then the other?

My thoughts are going with in the morning that way my body is refreshed from a good nights sleep, that way I won't have to be loading up on energy during the day just to have some left for a workout at night.

Thoughts?
The best time of the day varies from person to person. What's your primary Goal ?, Weight loss or Building?
The best time for burning calories is in the morning, just make sure that you atleast have some good starches and carbs before you go.

Joe.

#5 ·
I work from 10-7 and hit the gym afterwards simply because I hate getting up in the morning. I'll get up just early enough to get cardio in, and then hit weights in the evening. That way cardio is done on an empty stomach, and then I've got most of the day to get calories back into my system to be used in the gym. Find out wat works best for your body/goals.

#6 ·
Slpr281 said:
The best time for burning calories is in the morning, just make sure that you atleast have some good starches and carbs before you go.

Joe.

Thatn statement is in dirrect conflict. Usually those looking to "burn calories" are primarily concerned with losing bodyfat, in which carbs is the last thing you want to eat before morning cardio. I'll eat a scoop of low carb protein powder in water before I run to be ensure lean muscle is preserved, but I hold off on the carbs until about 30 minutes to an hour after I run.

#7 ·
Well i've got a little weight i want to lose and i want to bulk up. Is it better to bulk up and then cut the fat or cut the fat then bulk up?

#9 ·
The Raven said:
Thatn statement is in dirrect conflict. Usually those looking to "burn calories" are primarily concerned with losing bodyfat, in which carbs is the last thing you want to eat before morning cardio. I'll eat a scoop of low carb protein powder in water before I run to be ensure lean muscle is preserved, but I hold off on the carbs until about 30 minutes to an hour after I run.

But I said good.....Lol,

Joe.

#10 ·
MotoMan said:
Well i've got a little weight i want to lose and i want to bulk up. Is it better to bulk up and then cut the fat or cut the fat then bulk up?

That's a matter of personal preference, and for me it's dependent on the time of year. During the summer months I concentrate on leaning out, as the weather is better for outdoor cardio, and there's the constant thought of being in board shorts to keep me on track. Then during the winter months I relax the diet a little, and joy the holidays, and concentrate on strength and adding lean mass. The key is to be patient during either phase, or you will make it that much harder on yourself in the long run. By that I mean to not get in a hurry to lose fat, or you'll sacrifice lean mass putting you behind when it's time to bulk, and don't pig out when bulking, or you will end up with excess fat come time to lean up.

#11 ·
ruffdaddy said:
Do both at the same time.

It's actually not really weight i want to lose, its more of wanting to tone up and be lean. So can you build muscle and get lean at the same time, or do you do one then the other?

#13 ·
MotoMan said:
It's actually not really weight i want to lose, its more of wanting to tone up and be lean. So can you build muscle and get lean at the same time, or do you do one then the other?

To efficiently do either, concentrate on one or the other. To simply "tone up and lean out" though, clean up your diet, count your calories, get sufficient protein, and hit the weights.

#14 ·
The Raven said:
Being that you aren't too particularly lean or muscular, how's that working out for you?... :p
haha...not lean or muscular? Compared to what...a body builder? I would say I'm lean and not lacking at all in muscle.

MotoMan said:
Yes...you can build lean muscle mass. It just takes time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.