DFW Mustang Forums banner

Ripping mp3s from CD

387 views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  xarva 
#1 ·
What seems to be the App of choice these days?
anything free?

#5 ·
I used to use CDex, and it's still a great program. But I've switched to just using iTunes in the past few months.

It cuts out that extra step of importing to your library, and saves from having to use another program to attach album art.

I've also switched from mp3 to aac. I re-ripped my core/favorite cd's at 256kbps, and the fluff got re-ripped at 128kbps. Files are a tad smaller, and sound noticibly better at 128kbps.

For me, 128kbps mp3's were more often than not perfectly fine and indistinguishible from the CD other than the occasional warbling/watery cymbols, that I could only really hear if I dropped the bass entirely and jacked the treble to max. That aac's at the same bitrate sound better (no warbling cymbols, etc) is a nice perk, since the files are on average about 2% smaller.

With EMI going 256kbps & DRM free starting in May... I may actually start buying music directly online (iTunes or elsewhere), and forego CD's entirely. Here's hoping all the labels follow EMI's lead in the very near future.

#7 ·
iTunes converts to mp3 automatically.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.