Anyone heard of XVID? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Up in Smoke

Anyone heard of XVID?

I've seen some video files with this encoding, but haven't seen a player for that codec. All I've seen out there indicates that you have to compile the code yourself. Please post where you found a codec or player for these files. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 09:12 PM
Time Served

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 04:52 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yeah. Xvid's a pain in the ass. Why can't people just be happy using DivX? It's free too! I also see some with 3ivx ... but fortunately, 3ivx is readily available precompiled.

With Xvid, you either have to compile it yourself ... or wait for some jack off to compile the latest version ... by which time, the latest version is obsolete as there's a new version ready to be compiled ... and then you run into the problem of "stable" and "unstable" binaries. It's just fucking stupid.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Up in Smoke

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
Yeah. Xvid's a pain in the ass. Why can't people just be happy using DivX? It's free too! I also see some with 3ivx ... but fortunately, 3ivx is readily available precompiled.

With Xvid, you either have to compile it yourself ... or wait for some jack off to compile the latest version ... by which time, the latest version is obsolete as there's a new version ready to be compiled ... and then you run into the problem of "stable" and "unstable" binaries. It's just fucking stupid.
Thanks, Darkwolf. That's what I was afraid of. I'll just have to scrap the vids compiled using xvid. Divx is much better.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 01:27 PM
Texas Rangers #1

I used to have problems with xvid until I downloaded a wondeful little app called FFDShow, once you download it, intsall it, and go to Start -> FFDShow, then configuration and enable "decode with xvid" on xvid movies, fixed all my problems.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Up in Smoke

Quote:
Originally posted by Kenny_Stang
I used to have problems with xvid until I downloaded a wondeful little app called FFDShow, once you download it, intsall it, and go to Start -> FFDShow, then configuration and enable "decode with xvid" on xvid movies, fixed all my problems.
Awesome, Kenny_Stang. I'm using my cellphone for my connection so the fact that it was a short download was a plus. Thanks for the tip and it worked perfectly!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 01:27 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

The only movie I've had that needed FFDShow was all green and funky when decoded. Deleted FFDshow, downloaded newest DivX 5.0.5, and the most current stable build of Xvid, and it works fine in Media Player now.

DarkWolf
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 12:32 PM
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
The only movie I've had that needed FFDShow was all green and funky when decoded. Deleted FFDshow, downloaded newest DivX 5.0.5, and the most current stable build of Xvid, and it works fine in Media Player now.
I'm running Nimo Codec Pack 5 build 7 with FFDShow and I haven't run across any problems at all ( I dl 3 - 4 movies and 4 - 5 shows a week ).
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 01:40 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Hehe. Yeah, I was using Nimo 5 build 8. I've only got one movie with Xvid, everything else is DivX, or mpeg for my Alias episodes ... which I record my own now, so it's no biggy

'course, I don't download a whole lot either, so I don't run into codec problems all that often.

DarkWolf
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2003, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Up in Smoke

Alot of good information guys. There are several good street racing vids in the p2p networks, but you never what codec you will need. Most are just Divx, but the Xvid was new to me.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 08:23 AM
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Hehe. Yeah, I was using Nimo 5 build 8. I've only got one movie with Xvid, everything else is DivX, or mpeg for my Alias episodes ... which I record my own now, so it's no biggy

'course, I don't download a whole lot either, so I don't run into codec problems all that often.
Yeah I download a lot of shows on a weekly basis, for the most part they're either mpegs or divx encoded, now movies on the other hand, I've downloaded several new ones, and I've run across alot of XviD encoded movies, not sure why they use XviD over Divx, possibly the compression ratio is better?

Most of the info I have gathered about codecs have come from the forums on www.fasttrackmovies.com if you need help on anything related to p2p, I'd ask there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement