video editing software... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Da Bomb like ticktick

video editing software...

hey just wondering what everyone uses to put their videos on computer , i want to start doing alot more recording and post it up but i have no clue where to get a decent program. Not looking to pay either

1984 Mustang GT ( T-Tops ) "Beware of the 4-eyes"
www.angelfire.com/tx5/bombsquadracing

Stock n Slow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 01:40 PM

if you just want to get video on the computer... the software i would use that is free.

Windows Media Encoder

its free.. and easy to use.

now to get the video to the computer... ATI All-in-Wonder, but you might want to check before you get one of these in the past they were not compatable with WME, but that was a few years ago.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 01:46 PM
Foxaholic

Adobe Premier... download it off Kazaa. Best of the best.
One of my good friends is a music video producer for a "famous boy band". That is the program that he uses for everything. I won't say what band, because I know the comments that will follow. Hey, he makes mucho dinero.

It is hard as hell to use if you don't know what you are doing. I think it is over $500 in stores so be sure to download it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 05:10 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

ATI All-In-Wonder's are now coming with ULead Video Studio for video editing. It's a good, simple program.

Premier is not quite best of the best, but it's close. (Avid is best of the best. Premier is like Avid-Lite.) The learning curve is like Photoshop ... if you've never used it, and are trying to edit a video for the first time, you're just gonna sit there and stare blankly ... drool dripping from the corner of your mouth, because you're brain just ruptured from information overload

For a beginning program, I'd definitely recommend the ULead offering. Graduate up to Premier after you're more familiar with the actual process behind non-linear video editing.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 07:06 PM
dolphans1

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
ATI All-In-Wonder's are now coming with ULead Video Studio for video editing. It's a good, simple program.

Premier is not quite best of the best, but it's close. (Avid is best of the best. Premier is like Avid-Lite.) The learning curve is like Photoshop ... if you've never used it, and are trying to edit a video for the first time, you're just gonna sit there and stare blankly ... drool dripping from the corner of your mouth, because you're brain just ruptured from information overload

For a beginning program, I'd definitely recommend the ULead offering. Graduate up to Premier after you're more familiar with the actual process behind non-linear video editing.
I like Dazzle, it's relatively affordable, make sure your hard drive is NTSF formatted instead of FAT32. I found out the hard way. FAT 32 only grabs around 4GB of information, whci transalates to about 15 minutes of video. If it's NTSF formatted, you can go as high as 10GB or 2 hours worth.

The way to cheat around it using FAT 32, is to capture it in 15 minutes increments and splice them together with their software program. (time consuming)

d-1
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 02:47 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yikes 2 hours for 10gigs? What resolution / compression are you capturing at? Video CD resolution / compression will be plenty for transferring video from VHS tapes. Which translates into 2 hours for about 1.2 gigs

If you're capping Hi-Res DVD resoultion / compression ... that's serious overkill, unless you're creating the video on the computer ... in otherwords, you're not capturing video ... but you're actually doing your own animation, 2d or 3d, or capturing D1 video for broadcast purposes, and plan on transferring the finished product(s) to DVD, or D1 tape. If you're capturing from TV (standard brodcast, not HDTV), or video tape (VHS, VHS-C, Hi-8, Mini-DV, et al), anything more than Video CD (VCD), or at most Super Video CD (SVCD) is overkill.

HDTV is much higher resolution than DVD, and currently there are no cards on the public market that will capture HDTV at full resolution.

DarkWolf
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 08:04 PM
dolphans1

Quote:
Originally posted by dolphans1
I like Dazzle, it's relatively affordable, make sure your hard drive is NTSF formatted instead of FAT32. I found out the hard way. FAT 32 only grabs around 4GB of information, whci transalates to about 15 minutes of video. If it's NTSF formatted, you can go as high as 10GB or 2 hours worth.

The way to cheat around it using FAT 32, is to capture it in 15 minutes increments and splice them together with their software program. (time consuming)

d-1
I capturing it under Avi format, then convert it to MPEG to burn onto a CVD or CD.

d-1
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 01:14 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yow. That's alot of work. Does the Dazzle not capture to mpeg on the fly?

And AVI's (unless they're DivX or one of the various DivX clones, which are really mpeg4 encoded) are limited to 2gig file sizes. That's a limitation built into the codec. If that thing can capture DivX video on the fly, it should easily be able to capture mpeg 1 or 2 video with ease.

What resolution(s) does it caputre at also? Again, if you're capturing from video or TV, go with the vcd/svcd sizes (352x240 / 320x240, or 480x480 (I think)), because anything more than that is overkill (VHS resolution is something like 312x252, and NTSC TV is 720x480, however, most broadcasts go out at half that ... ie: 360x240, and the TV blows them up to fill the screen. That's why DVD's look so crisp and sharp (compared to standard broadcasts, premium/cable channels, or VHS tapes), because they're using the full resolution (720x480))

DarkWolf
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 01:36 PM
dolphans1

Quote:
Originally posted by dolphans1
I capturing it under Avi format, then convert it to MPEG to burn onto a CVD or CD.

d-1
I don't believe so, at least not the DVC 80 model, you have to capture it AVI and then convert to MPEG. Is there any software company the captures MPEG from an analog VCR and converts to MPEG cutting out the major step?

d-1
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 11:50 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Ahh, suck. For something like that, I would have just spent a few extra bucks and gotten either a stand alone video capture card, or a bit more for an older All-In-Wonder (mine's the Radeon 7500 AIW, and it was $125 shipped, older ones are even cheaper). A stand alone card will cost you about $60 - $80 (depending on if you want mono or stereo sound).

Doesn't look like you're gonna find anything that captures directly to mpeg with that device, unless there's some other software out there that will recoginize it as a capture device.

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement