I want linux - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

I want linux

someone help me out.. need a good version of linux. With windows there are a few versions.. but with linux their are 100's of diffren't choices.

seriously... can someone point me to a good copy of linux w/ GUI... im not good with the command line in linux?? anythoughts??

thanks
trey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 12:15 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

RH9.0, command line owns clicking a mouse, but 9.0 is great if you want GUI.

www.redhat.com , you can download it, its free.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

i like command line.. i can work my way around dos.. but get confused in linux or unix.

thanks for the page.. Im downloaidng now.. going to give it a try.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 06:51 PM
dolphans1

Quote:
Originally posted by trey85stang
i like command line.. i can work my way around dos.. but get confused in linux or unix.

thanks for the page.. Im downloaidng now.. going to give it a try.
I purchased a computer with Thiz Linux on it and I could never figure out how to dial up on the Internet with it. I even went to the Thiz Linux FAQ support page and I could not get it to work, after following the commands step-by-step.

I called all 3 Fry's Electronic stores and no one there knew how to do it. They said they didn't support the product. Say What? You don't support it? Hell, you're selling it!

Anyway, I spent over 12 hours searching all over the net looking for solutions and nothing.

It's really hard to get any tech support on Linux.

d-1
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 11:25 PM
Lifer

dont ask people at retail stores to support their products, for the most part they are just schmoes trying to make a buck.

fry's is the worst, that store is a shithole

i should know, i am one of those electronics selling schmucks.

adam

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 02:58 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Retail stores never support the products they sell directly. Anything you buy from a retail store, if you have problems, they direct you to the manufacturer of the product. If you bring something in, they send it off to the manufacturer for fixing.

Best Buy, Fry's, CompUSA, Micro Center, Circuit City, etc have tech departments that do only the most basic computer upgrades, and troubleshooting. Anything beyond the basics gets sent off to the manufacturer (which can easily take 2 weeks or more). Neither of them actually build anything they sell. If they have branded computers (in the case of CompUSA, and Micro Center), the computers are built by a 3rd party, and then CompUSA/Micro Center just put their badges on them.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 05:59 PM
Fabrique National Fan

Lindows 3.0.5 is the easiest version of linux i have seen...it pretty much uses the windows GUI but its a linux kernel..which is perfect for new users
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 07:49 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Why, oh, why spend $50 far a Windows clone when you can download any number of Linux distros for free? Red Hat is good along with Mandrake, Gentoo, Debian, SuSE, Slackware, I can go on and on. All free to download.

http://www.distrowatch.com/
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 08:58 PM
Time Served

Mandrake! Screw Red Hat... It's too slow as it was made only for x386. Get it at http://www.linuxiso.org/
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 11:45 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoRaZor
Mandrake! Screw Red Hat... It's too slow as it was made only for x386. Get it at http://www.linuxiso.org/
i'm not exactly sure what you mean by that... if you mean the default kernel that installs with RH, then yeah, its i386.. but all you have to do is update the kernel and you get the i686 version...

if you want a distro that is completely customizable to your wants and needs, then you need to look at a "from source" distro such as LFS, or Gentoo.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
RH9.0, command line owns clicking a mouse,
Heck yea, FreeBSD 4 Life.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 07:55 PM
Time Served

right on...I did that but there was no difference in boot times.

What kernel update are you referring to?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by knalb
i'm not exactly sure what you mean by that... if you mean the default kernel that installs with RH, then yeah, its i386.. but all you have to do is update the kernel and you get the i686 version...

if you want a distro that is completely customizable to your wants and needs, then you need to look at a "from source" distro such as LFS, or Gentoo.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2003, 10:26 PM
dolphans1

Just figured it out on Thiz Linux

Quote:
Originally posted by dolphans1
I purchased a computer with Thiz Linux on it and I could never figure out how to dial up on the Internet with it. I even went to the Thiz Linux FAQ support page and I could not get it to work, after following the commands step-by-step.

I called all 3 Fry's Electronic stores and no one there knew how to do it. They said they didn't support the product. Say What? You don't support it? Hell, you're selling it!

Anyway, I spent over 12 hours searching all over the net looking for solutions and nothing.

It's really hard to get any tech support on Linux.

d-1
Heyt finally figured out how to dial up on a Thiz Linux system. It took me over a month to figure it out.

I'm actually typing on a ThizLinux Operating system as we speak, or type.....

d-1
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2003, 11:34 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Re: Just figured it out on Thiz Linux

Quote:
It took me over a month to figure it out.
It took me 5 minutes to figure it out my first time.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2003, 09:29 AM
dolphans1

Re: Re: Just figured it out on Thiz Linux

Quote:
It took me 5 minutes to figure it out my first time.
Abex, heck why didn't you help me out then. I went to Fry's took the whole tower there and none of their techs could figure it out, and then to top matters off even more, no one at Earthlink knew how and no one at AOL knew how. Heck, it never made any sense to me how they couldn't know. I mean, can I be the only one trying to get on with a Thiz-Linux system?

It seems that Thiz-Linux is similar to Red-Hat, it's listed somewhere in in my operating system.

I'm still learning it as we go.

Just typing off a Linux system and it feels soooo gooood!!!!

Yes!!!!!

d-1
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Time Served

I'm now a reformed Red Hat user thanks to 9.0!

New Car;
2007 Shelby GT 500
Steeda CAI
SCT Tuner

Previous car;
2003 Black Cobra

Mods...
Diablo Predator
2.8 upper pully
Steeda Blower Belt Tensioner
AFT-CAT Bassani Exhaust Sytem
Bassani X
Kenne Bell CAI
MGW Shifter
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 12:14 AM
dolphans1

Linux How is it formated

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoRaZor
I'm now a reformed Red Hat user thanks to 9.0!
Great, I'm really interested in how it all works. I just figured out the email Mozilla(sp) works, it's like Outlook Express.

Does anyone know how Linux is formatted? Is it Fat32?

I tried to do a triple boot system off my computer and could never get it to work. It would try to set up, but it could never format.

Anyway, I had to cheat and I swithced hard drives and I installed Linux on it's own.

Has anyone done a triple boot with Linux?

d-1
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 11:47 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Re: Linux How is it formated

Quote:
Does anyone know how Linux is formatted? Is it Fat32?
It depends on your distrobution, you can mount any partation in linux, but you wont be able to mount any in windows other then fat32 and ntfs in windows. Most modern linux distros use a journalling file system like resierfs

Quote:
Has anyone done a triple boot with Linux?
I've only double booted, but that was years ago, I only single boot linux now. You'll need to edit your boot loader, and depending on distrobution, it could be lilo or some other program. You'll have to do some research on that.

I recommend on switching to redhat which has much more support out there for you.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 12:48 PM
dolphans1

Re: Re: Linux How is it formated

Quote:
It depends on your distrobution, you can mount any partation in linux, but you wont be able to mount any in windows other then fat32 and ntfs in windows. Most modern linux distros use a journalling file system like resierfs

I've only double booted, but that was years ago, I only single boot linux now. You'll need to edit your boot loader, and depending on distrobution, it could be lilo or some other program. You'll have to do some research on that.

I recommend on switching to redhat which has much more support out there for you.
Thiz-Linux finally responded after a barrage of emails. I'm requesting a manual from them. What's weird is, if you donwload software it doesn't install like a windows program. It's all based of the /root system/ stuff, which I don't understand.

I recently downloaded this software program called citrix which allows me to get into sabre. Well when it downloaded I never really knew if it fully installed. I know that it's in the root system, but is there anything else I need to do to make it work?

Just learned how to work the CD player. If you insert a music CD in your CD rom, it does not play automatically. You have to open the CD play manual and press play. Also, it will only play a regular CD and not mp3 format. I haven't figured that one out yet.

d-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement