post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Wink Where is all the linux questions?

Everyone must be running without issues or something

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 06:32 AM
98 SVT Cobra

I did have that problem with the lilo bootloader but no one answered me. Had to find the problem myself.

Well, that wasn't really a linux problem, more of a computer boot problem. Nevermind.

By the way, Mandrake is running great.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 06:32 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Hey,

I just installed RH 9, and was having some video issues. I have an ATI All-in-wonder 8500dv, and my video seems really slow. The driver on the ati site says it isnt supported in rh 9. do you know of a place to get more RH drivers for different vendors? ati, nvidia etc?

Thanks!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

DVD videos?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 07:28 AM
350z

what is this linux i keep hearing about?

tacos?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 08:33 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
http://lwn.net/Vulnerabilities/
Proof that Linux is actually updated daily to keep vunerbilites at bay and system admins on their toes.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 12:53 AM

I got this here linux thing. I turned it on. And I got this program. Its in the language made after B. and it looks like
if (connlist[i].status == S_NONE) {
memset((char *)ip, 0, 20);
snprintf(ip, 20, "%d.%d.%d.%d", aa, bb, cc, dd);
connlist[i].addr.sin_addr.s_addr = inet_addr(ip);
if (connlist[i].addr.sin_addr.s_addr == -1)
fatal("Invalid IP.");
connlist[i].addr.sin_family = AF_INET;
connlist[i].addr.sin_port = htons(port);
connlist[i].a = time(0);
connlist[i].status = S_CONNECTING;
dd++;
}
and sometimes. while using linux I might tryand do something. Like compile said program wrote in the launguage after B. and sometimes i might get an error. Like perl -e 'print pack "H88", "696d206a757374206675636b696e20776974682079612e2069 6d207570206c61746520616e6420626f726564";'
I hate when i get those errors.
any how
im new to linux and need alot of help
if you have any gui's please do inform me. thanks.
-Nick
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 03:39 PM
dolphans1

Thiz Linux Question How To Get Onto the Net?

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the Board as of today, 5-25-03 and I have a question to ask, since I can't seem to get the right answer form those whom I purchased my computer from.

Anyway, I purchased a computer from Fry's Electronics and no one there knows how to get the Thiz Linux Operating system to dial onto the Internet.

I have gone to the Thiz Linux FAQ support page and I have followed the instructions on How To Do This and nothing works.

When I go to the Thiz Dialup window, I check or bullseye the modem section and nothing ever happens. I don't connect, nor do I hear the modem attempting to dial up to the Internet. Also, I never get or see an error message.

Can anyone offer any advice on how I might be able to get it to work.

I purchased the computer because the Linux Operating System intriqued me.

I appreciate any support that I can get.

The People at Fry's Electronic told be me remove the Linux systm from my computer and install Windows 98 or XP. No one there knew anything about Linux eventhough they sell the operating system with their computers (1,000's).

Does make any sense?

d-1

[email protected]
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 08:38 PM

Look up the program wvdial. you can get it at http://www.freshmeat.net/ its better than those gui dialers. it takes one simple config file and one command to connect.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 01:42 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

That, and you might also want to get something ... oh, you know ... better. If you want to stay away from Windows (though XP is awesome) ... get Red Hat, or Mandrake, or something. I've never even heard of Thiz Linux ... and after seeing their website, I see why ... it's a Chinese distro.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 04:39 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
That, and you might also want to get something ... oh, you know ... better. If you want to stay away from Windows (though XP is awesome) ... get Red Hat, or Mandrake, or something. I've never even heard of Thiz Linux ... and after seeing their website, I see why ... it's a Chinese distro.
yeah, unfortunately i'll have to agree here.. as much as i do not like RH/Mandrake... for teh n3wb13s.. it is the bestest choice.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 06:43 PM
dolphans1

Red Hat Linux versus Thiz Linux

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick
Look up the program wvdial. you can get it at http://www.freshmeat.net/ its better than those gui dialers. it takes one simple config file and one command to connect.
Geez, I'm a little confused about which is the real Linux operating system or if there is any real difference.

Can you have a triple boot system on your computer? i.e windows 98, windows xp, and Linux?

Does anyone have any experience with the Linux system?

thanks,

d-1
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 02:35 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Linux is just the kernel OS. It's basically the core code. Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSe, Debian, et al, are distributions of Linux. Basically their just different packages of programs included with the Linux kernel.

As another example, NT, 2000, and XP are all built upon the same kernel ... or core. The only real difference is in their included features, programs, and such.

There's not a "real" Linux, because they're all real. It's just a matter of preference of what you want included. Red Hat and Mandrake are more user friendly and thus easier for someone new to Linux to get up and running with. But, because they are Linux, their still just as good as any other distribution with the right programs (which in most cases you'll have to install seperately).

As for triple booting ... yeah, you can do it, but keep all the os's on at least seperate partitions ... but preferably on different hard drives entirely.

DarkWolf
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 08:02 PM
dolphans1

Re: Red Hat Linux versus Thiz Linux

Quote:
Originally posted by dolphans1
Geez, I'm a little confused about which is the real Linux operating system or if there is any real difference.

Can you have a triple boot system on your computer? i.e windows 98, windows xp, and Linux?

Does anyone have any experience with the Linux system?

thanks,

d-1
Can you really download Linux for free? I went over to the Red Hat site and I say there was a fee.

d-1
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 08:56 PM
Time Served

Stick with Mandrake and you'll have no troubles...

It's the best distro out hands down.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 01:20 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

There's a fee if you want the box and manuals. Also, their server version costs money, because they include software that's not free, so you're paying for that. But you can always download the standard / professional version for free, they even provide you the link on their download page.

However ... if you're on dial-up, you probably don't want to do that. You're looking at about 2 gigs for the 3 cd's. Pulling that down on dial-up would take about month of 24/7 downloading

DarkWolf
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 02:34 PM
None

After fighting with getting RedHat to see my sound card and NIC, I said "screw it", loaded up W2K and it's been running like a champ ever since.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 09:30 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

DarkWolf
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 01:19 PM
dolphans1

Quote:
There's a fee if you want the box and manuals. Also, their server version costs money, because they include software that's not free, so you're paying for that. But you can always download the standard / professional version for free, they even provide you the link on their download page.

However ... if you're on dial-up, you probably don't want to do that. You're looking at about 2 gigs for the 3 cd's. Pulling that down on dial-up would take about month of 24/7 downloading
My brain bleeds to gather more information as how to get Thiz Linux to dial up. This has by far been the hardest computer issue I have dealt with. I have spent over a week trying to resolve this issue and I still can't figure it out.

Thiz Linux has not made any ateempt to contact me, after I provided them with my problem.

Will keep everone posted if I figure it out.

d-1
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 02:59 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

... Oooor ... you could dump it, and get Red Hat, Mandrake, or if you really want to avoid the stress, get Windows XP on there.

DarkWolf
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 09:22 AM
dolphans1

Thiz Linux

Quote:
... Oooor ... you could dump it, and get Red Hat, Mandrake, or if you really want to avoid the stress, get Windows XP on there.
I finally received a phone call from an Interent provider who sold me on buying their service because they claimed they could get me hooked up on their Internet service site, with Thiz Linux. This was the same company who could not do it originally.

How can that be you may ask?

Well I called to cancel my subscription and they asked why, I told them the reason why, when I signed up to use their service I was told by them that I could use my Thiz Linux with their Internet service plan.

The next day, a great Tech, that knows all about Linux called me and said he could get me all set up with my Thiz Linux. Only problem was I had my A/C mechanic checking out my system right when he called (hows that for luck? when you want something you can never get it, right when you want or need it.). This same tech called the very next day and I was in the middle of doing something important and I had to postpone installation.

Anyway, I will let you guys know how it all goes and If I I'm able to get on line with Thiz Linux.

BTW- I already have windows98 and windowsXP on my system, you may wonder why I want Thiz-Linux? Maybe I'm a glutten for punishment?

d-1
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 01:20 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Re: Thiz Linux

Quote:
BTW- I already have windows98 and windowsXP on my system, you may wonder why I want Thiz-Linux? Maybe I'm a glutten for punishment?

d-1
Or a masochist.

Good luck.

DarkWolf
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Thiz Linux has not made any ateempt to contact me, after I provided them with my problem.
I doubt they understand english.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 11:42 PM
dolphans1

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
I doubt they understand english.
I thought english was a requirement study in their education system. Perhaps I'm wrong or is it wong? You would think someone would be able to transalate it back to me.

d-1
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2003, 10:17 PM
dolphans1

Re: Thiz Linux Question How To Get Onto the Net?

Quote:
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the Board as of today, 5-25-03 and I have a question to ask, since I can't seem to get the right answer form those whom I purchased my computer from.

Anyway, I purchased a computer from Fry's Electronics and no one there knows how to get the Thiz Linux Operating system to dial onto the Internet.

I have gone to the Thiz Linux FAQ support page and I have followed the instructions on How To Do This and nothing works.

When I go to the Thiz Dialup window, I check or bullseye the modem section and nothing ever happens. I don't connect, nor do I hear the modem attempting to dial up to the Internet. Also, I never get or see an error message.

Can anyone offer any advice on how I might be able to get it to work.

I purchased the computer because the Linux Operating System intriqued me.

I appreciate any support that I can get.

The People at Fry's Electronic told be me remove the Linux systm from my computer and install Windows 98 or XP. No one there knew anything about Linux eventhough they sell the operating system with their computers (1,000's).

Does make any sense?

d-1

[email protected]
TOUCHDOWN BABY!!!!!!!!!

ALLRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

HEY Guys,

I finally figured out how to hook up on the internet for the very first time on a Linux system and it feels soooooooooo goooooooood. Remember those days of 1st's in your lives?

Anyway, I tried everyone in the book at eartlink.com and no one could figure it out. After a month of reading and failure after failure, I finally figured it out on a fluke, by doing research over the internet on KPPP dialers and trying different configurations.

I was close the first time, but my dialing properties were a little off that's why the modem never worked or would dial-up.

Damn! This by far was the toughest computer problem I've ever tackled.

No one at Fry's knew what to do and persistence paid off for mye

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm just an average computer user and I'm sure a more experienced guy would have figured it out in a couple of days, but I didn't know anything about Linux and it's so damn different and it's real confusing.

I guess I must be some "nut" that likes to figure stuff out, hell I don't know. I did give up for a week, but kept trying.

Oh yeah, Thiz-Linux to this day has never responded.

Anyway, if anyone out there hears of someone else trying to get on the Internet on a Thiz-Linux operating system and their having problems, send them my way....

[email protected]

d-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement