Help Comp Died! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

Help Comp Died!

Well my comp took a dump on my and I cant seem to re-install anything. I've booted from a 98 boot disk, and deleted all my partitions and then fdisked. I then tried to do a complete fresh install and it kept rebooting over and over. Then blue screening me with unmountable drive error and memory allocation error too. I finally got it to install only having to skip a bunch of files because it couldn't find them on the cd. This is the O/S cd that I got with the comp from gateway. So now all the app cd that came with my comp won't load now either. I'm out of ideas so help me out please! I can't handle having to use my in-laws comp at there place!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 07:34 PM
Lifer

What are your system specs? HD & memory and mobo?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 09:41 AM
date +%H:%M | grep 4:20

have you tried low level formatting your hard drive? even though the error message says a file is unable to be located on the cd this could just mean the file is not able to be written to the disk rather than the cd is bad. which could be the reason for your unmountable blue screen error. when your computer blue screens typically the last error message is the cause of the problem. you could try writing all zero's to the drive through whatever diagnostics tools are provided for the drive, which you should be able to obtain from their website. then if you have another drive i'd try swapping it out and trying to load the os again.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

Well I tried writing all zeros to the drive and a fresh re-install but still gave me the same blue screens. So I said hell with it and took it up to gateway to have them fix it. I'm really glad that we paid the extra $150 for the extended warranty. They called me this morning to give me a status on my machine and said that I was going to lose all my information and that no viruses were found and all my hardware passed their diagnostics and that I should have my machine within 24 hrs. I'm skeptical that they will fully repair my machine and I think its hardware related but I guess I'll know soon enough.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 06:55 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

It was obviously a bad cd or bad ram imho, low level format doesnt do jack but mark every cylinder as off.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2003, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

Well come to find out that my motherboard is out! Again, this is my second in 4 months! Hopefully I will have my comp back by this coming Tuesday.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

Ok gateway replaced my hard drive, motherboard, and processor. And then told me one of my sticks of memory was the problem because it wasn't the kingston brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement