Memory usage in Win XP - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

Memory usage in Win XP

Does anyone know the limit on how much RAM a single process can use in Win XP?

I have a user that runs simulations on his workstation ( 4 GB of RAM ) that runs certain processes that sometimes exceed 2 GB of RAM usage, in Win NT 4.0 this causes the user to recieve errors and the simulations to stop. We are thinking of upgrading him to Win 2K or Win XP, but can not find the limitations of these OS'es, does anyone know? TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 12:40 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

That's some serious number crunching going on. I dunno what the limit is ... I'd guess that 4GB would be the limit, as that's the limit on supported memory (at least in the Pro version(s)). Of course, I'd thought that was the case for NT too ... soooo ... yeah.

2GB in one process? Christ!

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf

That's some serious number crunching going on. I dunno what the limit is ... I'd guess that 4GB would be the limit, as that's the limit on supported memory (at least in the Pro version(s)). Of course, I'd thought that was the case for NT too ... soooo ... yeah.

2GB in one process? Christ!
Yeah I know. The computer is pretty pimp, dual P4 2.53 Ghz Xeon's, 4 GB of RAM, 160 GB SCSI HDD, DVD-RAM, etc. Unfortunately they decided to load NT 4.0 on it instead of XP, and now it's having problems .

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 09:58 AM
Lifer

don't know exactly the numbers but I'm sure XP is better considering the advancement in OS's
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

Found an article that tells me what I need to know: http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/platf...PAE/PAEmem.asp
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 10:15 AM
Lifer

you want to buy windows xp professional (full version) for 100 bucks.. i used to work at circuit city and if we got certified in xp Microsoft gave us a xp professional (full version) not the upgrade.. anyone interested let me know

retail is 300
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 10:19 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by Schargedcobra97
you want to buy windows xp professional (full version) for 100 bucks.. i used to work at circuit city and if we got certified in xp Microsoft gave us a xp professional (full version) not the upgrade.. anyone interested let me know

retail is 300
If you are a Partner with Microsoft then you were once able to buy a copy of the full version of Pro for $40, I am not sure if that still holds true.

<------- got mine

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 10:20 AM
Lifer

mine was free.. just had to take a 20 minute course and hope i registered in time
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

This is for work, and we have a site license with Microsoft for Win XP Pro, so no worries there. Thanks for the offer though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement