Windows Help? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Question Windows Help?

Does anyone know how to make a restore disk. I am not looking for software that backups or creates an image. I need to make a restore disk like one that would come with a new computer. I have spent to many hours looking for tutorials on how to do this.

What I am trying to do is make a restore disk that you DONT have to install windows and then install the image software the restore. I am using Windows XP Pro. I know that windows has a built in restore feature but that doesnt always fix all problems. Quite frankly I am tired of my wife Fu**ing things up.

If there is anyone out there that knows how to do this please reply or pm me.

Thanks in advance,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Just tried Drive Image 2002 and had no luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 01:35 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Ghost 2003. Writes an image to CD (or spans multiple CD's), and creates a boot disk that you can use to restore the image.

I wouldn't recommend it for daily/weekly/monthly backups or anything ... but for what you're talking about, like a new computer restore disk ... it's perfect. I've got mine set up with a default install on my laptop, all drivers, and updates (to that point), and basic software that I always use. Took 3 CD's at full compression. If I ever want to reinstall/restore, just boot from the floppy, and put the first CD in. Ghost will do the rest.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply DarkWolf. I have already tried Norton Ghost 2002 and it didnt give me the option of making a "boot disk" to restore. I will try do find a demo or a cheap version of 2003 so that I can try that.

Another question - When you say that it is a boot disk that restores, Do you have to have an OS installed and ghost installed for it to restore. To be honest with you my wife has this bad habit of finding a virus called Nimda. A have used all the tools that i can find to get rid of it but it keeps coming back on this pc. I am building a new pc now and I dont want to have to format the install the os then drivers then ghost, you get the point. That is way to much work. Will ghost allow me to make a restore disk that will restore after a format without installing all of that over again. Thanks in advance. David
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 01:38 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yep. Ghost is a command line program that has a graphical interface in Windows. But you don't need any OS, or any partitions for that matter, on the drive. Just boot from the floppy it creates, and it'll load the necissary drivers / software to get you up and running, and ready to restore the image.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 02:03 PM
Texas Rangers #1

I also recommend Ghost. I've been using it for 5+ years now at work, and it works great.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Talking

I went out and bought it and you guys were right. It works like a champ. Thanks guys for all your help. David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement