post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Barebone System Opinions

What do you guys think of this setup?

Shuttle SN41G XPC Barebone with XP 2500+, 512MB
$559.97

Quote:
Shuttle SN41G2 Socket A nForce2 XPC Barebone
The case of the SN41G2 is Aluminum and, as such, has 30% better heat dispersement and is significantly lighter than a steel case. The SN41G2 can be daisy-chained to other SN41G2 systems to create a super server. It also supports IEEE 1394, and it has two high speed DIMM slots for maximum memory upgrading. Other features included are built-in Ethernet, onboard audio and Integrated GeForce4 MX video.

- Supports AMD XP processors up to 2200+ or AMD Morgan/Duron processors up to 1.3GHz+
- Supports 200/266/300MHz FSB
- nForce2/MCP-T Chipset
- 512MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz Memory
- 1 PCI, 1 Firewire, 2 USB slots

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 10:19 AM
350z

thats pretty cool depending on what you want to do with it...

i want a pc for my living room that matches all of my a/v components that way i can watch my divx movies on the big screen, and i dont have to hook my laptop up to the tv everytime

tacos?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 01:25 PM
aka onlya302

Jose, I've been looking at those for quite a while, I think I'm gonna replace my current desktop with one of those, but I'm gonna try a p4 2600, with a gig of ram.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 03:36 PM

Pretty solid choice, assuming enthusiastic regarding an AMD compared to an Intel. Not that there is any problem with an AMD -- some of us are just drug-addict Intel whores! My only issue with that setup is that the S/PDIF is on the front instead of the rear (unless I'm just overlooking something obvious). Using a small comp for an entertainment system in a viewable area means that it would be a bit nicer for the S/PDIF to head out the back than the front for visual appearance.

That said Jose, the price you have listed at the top of your post is in reference to the G, while the unit you are showing is the G2 so the pricing structure is a bit misleading.

SK41G

SK41G2

A bit of difference in video, G2 has a 333 FSB, and who knows what else (sorry, quick post!).

I've been checking the SS51 for a long time, and amazingly enough the price hasn't been dropping much at all for the last year. Given the overall limitations of the case coupled with the pricing structure of the SS units, I'm still in favor of using a full size PC for entertainment. Considering what can be built for the same amount of money as well as avoiding limitations on future expansion, I'm still holding off on the SS's... One other question at hand is whether the given mobo/sound will agree to push DD out on the S/PDIF. I would assume so, but have yet to research the possibility...

SP
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2003, 10:31 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

You'll want the one with the AGP slot, of course depending on what you have planned with it. Geforce MX arent that great of a video card.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 02:53 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I'm in agreement with Sean on this one. A midsized tower ... or even a desktop style case will allow for much more options. I'd love to have something that compact ... but I loathe onboard video/sound.

I've attached a pic of my setup ... sorta. I switched out to my old 15" monitor, and have it under my TV now, out of sight, and the keyboard and mouse are also up under the TV. And after tomorrow, I'll have an ATI All-In-Wonder 7500 in there, which includes the Remote Wonder. I returned my Pinnacle Studio PCTV Pro, and my GeForce4 MX 440SE, and actually saved a bit of money by getting the ATI Gonna be nice not having to break the keyboard/mouse out all the time now!

The case has a drive door to hide the DVD/CD-RW drives (which I will eventually paint black to match the case anyway). I've got 4 drive bays, and will eventually have 2 DVD's, a CD-RW, and a DVD-RW (may do away with the CD-RW at that point). I've got an AGP, and 5 or 6 PCI slots (can't remember offhand). I'll also eventually replace that stereo that's older than I am and just get something like a walkman am/fm tuner, pipe it in to the computer through Line In.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 07:10 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Thumbs up

That is a pimp setup!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

I didn't think about the AGP port and it doesn't look to have one Dammit Anybody know of any other MB's that size that have an AGP port?

Jay, pretty pimp setup. You really need to go with a wireless or Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

I was looking for a small case like this that I could use for LAN parties and such. I hate lugging around a big case

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 02:16 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I didn't think about the AGP port and it doesn't look to have one
The SS51 does indeed have an AGP slot. Check the other models available, I'm sure there is another (or more) that have AGP slots. That said, the SS51 is P4, not AMD.

Something small like these would be nice for a LAN party. That said, there is one at Fry's (sorry, don't recall the model/brand, could be a new Shuttle) that has a built in case handle on the top that looks pretty pimp. Thus it is easy to walk in to the LAN with your "briefcase" in your hand!

If you are interested in overall appearance, instead of painting, check www.pcmods.com and focus on the Lian Li cases -- they have Lian Li drive bay covers that match the case. (and to top it off, the Lian Li cases are very well built - much better than just about anything else out there)

SP
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 02:56 PM
aka onlya302

They make both the AMD and the P4 with a AGP slot, here's a comparison to them on Tom's Hardware.

http://www17.tomshardware.com/howto/20030131/index.html

cj
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 05:07 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by evil jose
Jay, pretty pimp setup. You really need to go with a wireless or Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
I might look into Bluetooth. I didn't go with wireless because the range is still too limited. 6 feet sounds good, but I've got 6 foot extension cords, and I'm still, even with the 3 foot of cord on the keyboard and mouse, am close to the TV. If bluetooth has better range, that may be the way I eventually go. Either that, or if they increase the range of the wireless ones

I'm digg'n this setup. ATI Remote Wonder ... kicks ass.

DarkWolf
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I might look into Bluetooth. I didn't go with wireless because the range is still too limited. 6 feet sounds good, but I've got 6 foot extension cords
That's about how limited Bluetooth is at this point. In reality, I've had a few wireless keyboards, and although I've always been in the same room as the computer, range has yet to be an issue. Short explanation - you can sit in bed and will not have a range problem. On top of that, the standard wireless will be a good bit cheaper than the Bluetooth keyboards/mice.

Quote:
ATI Remote Wonder ... kicks ass.
I'll have to assume that it does... ATI is a ho-bag when it comes to customer service... I tossed on 8500 AIW in a freshly built, never used, brand spanking new PC and all that has every happened is the software for it crashing... Quite honestly, I've done everything short of reformating the drive and starting over from ground zero, with an nVidia.

Just for everyone's benefit, be careful when buying an ATI vid card... Why??

1) ATI does not have a toll free customer service line;

2) ATI is in CANADA, so be sure that you have an international calling plan (if not, it's ~$0.64/min - opposed to $0.06/min, which I dealt with for a while, avoiding adding an international plan to our home line before realizing that it would take 3.5 hours+ to deal with my vid card issue -- literally - I checked my billing...);

3) ATI customer service is only good for 30 days after you register online only (they will not register you via phone when you call in for support). After 30 days, they then charge you $1.25/min on top of your "not quite free" long distance to Canada...

4) Tons of mistakes and lame assistance from tech support team. I could go into this, but that would require my three page long Word file of notes from dealing with them. (yes, I do take notes while addressing the problem...)

Ok -- this post is now way too damn long and pointless... Given my situation w/ ATI it's frustrating to hear positive ATI comments while I've been dealing with a three-week long problem...

Carry on -

SP

Last edited by Sean Park; 04-09-2003 at 03:12 AM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 01:51 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

It's rather odd, because I've had the exact same situation ... with Nvidia.

I love Nvidia, but the GeForce4 I had in there, had a shitty overlay for the TV. Worked with both Nvidia, and AOpen for two weeks before going back to my old Radeon 7500.

The new Catalyst drivers suck ass. Avoid them if you can. I unfortunately didn't have a choice with my old Radeon, can't find the original installation cd, and yeah, I was hounded with glitchy graphics, and random reboots. But when it was working good, it was beautiful.

Right now I'm using the drivers on the CD that came with my AIW Radeon 7500, and haven't had any problems. I'll hold off until ATI releases a new driver to address the known problems with the current Catalyst version, before I venture back into those waters.

My experience with their tech support, also, hasn't been so bad. I went the e-mail route, and they worked with me on a problem with the S-Video out on my old Radeon. After a couple days back and forth, I opted to go the GeForce4 route, which opened up a whole new batch of headaches. My old Radeon wasn't even a Built By ATI product, and they still tried to work with it. I have no clue who actually built it as there's no "brand" name. Turned out to be a timing issue on the chip that controls the S-Video out. Nothing they or I could do about it. But the new AIW works beautifully. I don't even need my monitor anymore.

DarkWolf
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 03:22 AM

Understood, and realistic... Nevertheless, there is a lot more I could jump into that focuses on poor customer service. Each product is going to have issues, however customer support should be effective and considerate to retain customer choices and publicly shared impression.

Enough said.

SP
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 09:44 PM

evil jose,

Please let me know where that deal is. I am about to order the sn41g2 with a 2400 for a good 100 more than that. The G1 is a little below it( nforce chipset and soundstorm 6.1) but that deal is darn good. WOuld appreciate the source. Also for everyone else there are several players in the barebones/HTPC realm. Try the gbox or soltek's qbic. King of the hill is shuttle and best model(imho) is the sn41g2 with a XP.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 05:54 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean Park
Understood, and realistic... Nevertheless, there is a lot more I could jump into that focuses on poor customer service. Each product is going to have issues, however customer support should be effective and considerate to retain customer choices and publicly shared impression.

Enough said.

SP
Aye

I've had my fair share of bad customer service. Heh. I used to dish it out regularly at Stream ... and that was actually FOLLOWING company policy

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement