need Java plug in! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Now an HHR owner

need Java plug in!

Apparently when I ran ADWare, it deleted my Java plugin. Now I can not get to any world wide web page. So if any one can Netzip me the plugin or even the new Java version 1.4.1, I would really appreciate it!
email - [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 01:41 PM
Lifer

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 01:51 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Make sure install on demand and all java stuff is on

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 05:39 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

And even still, your problem won't be resolved. Even if the java is completely turned off / deleted, it won't stop you from surfing the web ... you just won't be able to see any java apps, or java scripts. You'll still be able to read the plain html on the page.

I think you're problem is rooted a bit deeper. When did this start, and what did you change before it started?

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Now an HHR owner

I did these steps from Moondogs post.

First, run a VIRUS SCAN. Install Norton AV (or similar virus program) and update the virus definitions. It will find viruses and
trojans and sometimes other bugs like programs that have hijacked your browser. Few people actually think of this first.

Second, clean it up with a program like Windows Washer
then run Scandisk and Defrag. Defrag will finish faster when it doesn't have to move temporary files. Many times a hard drive just needs to be optimized so that errors are fixed and data isn't scattered all over the place. When data is arranged in sequential order the hard drive runs much faster.

Third, MOST problems are caused by programs that load at startup. Nearly every program wants to run all the time and they frequently conflict. The solution to fixing this problem is to run MSCONFIG and disable everything you can. If you have a modem it may need to load drivers in order for it to connect to the internet but most likely you can disable EVERYTHING. Anything you want to run can usually be loaded from Start/Programs only when you need it.

Fourth, it's very important to run Startup Monitor .
It will alert you and allow you to prevent any new
programs you install from loading at startup. Let it load at startup or it won't catch programs trying to install.

Sixth, install and run AdAware 6 . Nearly
every program these days has some form of "spy ware" included that monitors your activities and calls home to upload data. The main problem with all this nonsense is that it is hogging your system's resources and baudwidth. Kill all spyware !
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 05:08 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Was that before, or after this started?

DarkWolf
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Now an HHR owner

I did all that before I lost whatever file that caused it not to be able to go to WWW pages. I can browse all the AOL pages, just not any of the www pages.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 01:34 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Ok. Next question. What prompted you to do all that? Was there something going on with your computer, or did you just do it, just because?

And what OS? If it's XP or ME, try running a System Restore back to before you did all those steps. If you don't have either of those OS's, then you're most likely looking at a reinstall. There's not really any way that you can undo whatever step caused the fuckup, when you did them all. It could be one, it could be all ... it could be a combination of 2 or more that's caused this.

You could also try re-installing IE. Since you can't browse though, you'll need to get it from an Office CD or something. Or Norton AV 2002 has IE 5.5 in one of the folders on the CD. You can try installing it from there.

DarkWolf
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 07:18 AM
Texas Rangers #1

Also, on the AOL CD's they used to package IE in with them (not sure if they still do?). Look for a folder called IE (right click on the AOL CD and click browse). If it's in there, you can re-install IE and that should fix your problems.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Now an HHR owner

Darkwolf, It was having problems before I did all that. I have a Compaq P3 500 with 256 pc100 ram. And had no problems for past 6-7 months. All of sudden it started running slow, locking up for 20-30 seconds on each keystroke, and not opening some applications when I double clicked. So I thought I needed to give it a good thourough cleaning. I have done most of those same steps before and had no issues. Only new thing I did was the MSConfig command. Oh well, I am just going to uninstall AOL 8.0 and IE 6.0 at same time and reinstall them.

Thanks everyone!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 12:58 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

AOL is bad, mmkay?

DarkWolf
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Now an HHR owner

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
AOL is bad, mmkay?
Yeah, I know. But I have been with them for over 7 years and just hate to have to start all over again with new ISP. Also AOL is so easy to use my 11yr old and 5yr old can use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement