Microsoft Word help - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Question Microsoft Word help

I created my resume in Microsoft Word, and it has a simple line border around the whole page. When I try to print it, I get an error message that says, "The page borders of section 1 are set outside the printable area of the page. Do you want to continue?" When I click "yes," everything prints just perfectly except for the bottom border line on the page - it is missing. The strange thing is, I sent it to someone else to print, and they said they were able to print it perfectly, without making any changes to it. Anyone know how I might be able to fix this problem with the file? Please PM or IM me if you have any ideas.

Thanks,
Leslie

IM: MotorcycleDrvBy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 09:03 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Click File -> Page Setup -> Change the bottom margin to .2"

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

It gives me a message that says "One or more margins are set outside the printable area of the page. Choose the Fix button to increase the appropriate margins." Then it gives me the option to "Fix" or "Ignore." If I click "Fix" it readjusts the bottom margin to .46, and it won't print correctly. If I click on "Ignore" the bottom margin stays at .2, and it still won't print correctly. Any more ideas?

Leslie

Last edited by Leslie; 03-28-2003 at 09:12 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 09:18 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Can you send me the file? Goto abecx.net and click on temp upload.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 09:31 AM
The Mustang Shop

Make sure when you go into Borders, that you click the one that says Page Border, then look at print preview and you should see the whole border around the letter. If you simply have Border highlighted and look a print preview, the bottom border will not be there, therefore it will not be there when you print either.

Linda
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

AbecX - sent.

Baby Girl - I double-checked that, and it looks like that's not the problem.

Thanks,
Leslie
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 09:59 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

The line still doesnt show up in Print Preview or when it actually prints. Also, not to be picky, but if possible I'd still like it to be fairly vertically cnntered, with fairly equal amounts of blank space at the top and bottom of the page. I think I noticed you moved it up a little bit on the page?

Thanks,
Leslie
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 05:35 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

It sounds like your printer is the culprit. How old is it? Some printers can't print beyond a half inch (.5") border ... some all the way around, some only on the bottom, some at both top and bottom. Try the page setup with a bottom margin of .5, see if that helps. If that's still no good, set the header and footer margins to 0, and see if that helps.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

I changed all of those margin/header/footer settings, but still no luck. I have an HP DeskJet 722C printer. That was my first thought also - that maybe the printer just can't print that far down on the page, but someone had steered me away from it. Still think it's just the printer? If so, what can I do?

Thanks,
Leslie
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 05:16 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

722c is a bit of an older printer. I'm guessing it just can't print that far down. How much space do you have left on the page, after all the text? If there's enough, maybe shrink the border to just surround the text, and not the whole page (may need to put the text in a cell/table, and give the cell/table a border).

Otherwise, you can try updating the drivers from HP's website, but I doubt that will help ... unless you're using something like 98 era drivers on an XP machine.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, the actual physical printing capabilities of the printer was my first thought, but someone else advised me away from it so I didn't think much of it after that. I'm thinking that's what it might be though. I'm nearing the time that I will actually need the copies of my resume, so I'll probably just try to print it from another printer at this point. Thanks for your help, everyone!

Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement