I installed WinXP for the first time.... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Thumbs up I installed WinXP for the first time....

Not to bad, the install took FOREVER, probably 2 hours+. 733 p3 w/ 256 mb of ram, on a 40gb 7200rpm drive ( brand new, never been touched ), Intel mobo ( IAC820? ) 20x cdrom.

Like most new installs of Windows, it runs pretty darn fast, only time will till if it keeps up at this speed. It only has Diablo II installed w/ expansion pack for now, it'll receive the normal stuff, aim, yahoo!, and the office suite, as well as kazaa lite, putty, and divx, that's it off the top of my head.

Pros:
1. Runs pretty fast.
2. The output on the LCD is really..... CLEAR. :thumbs up:
3. The new sounds dont piss me off as much as the old ones.
4. Nice new entrance theme.
5. Runs Diablo II w/ LOD expansion nicely.

Cons:
1. I need to run all the updates, it'll probably take another hour.
2. WTF is up with all the kindergarden GUI default crap.
3. Seriously, how many freaking user 'help' programs need to load up on first boot.
4. LMAO at the recycle bin in the bottom right, Got Mac?
5. NTFS took way to long to format.
6. It took to long to figure out where My Computer went and how to get it back.

Will I be converting to a Windows only world again? Defiantly not. The one main thing that really got on my nerves was more of the same from previous versions, did they add any new features to this thing besides stability and bug enhancements? I feel like I'm running a kid version of Win2k w/ new GUI service packs...

If I were to rate my experience, I'd probably give a 7 of 10 on the install, it went through without a hitch, but took WAY to long. The initial bootup was annoying, and it took probably 20 minutes to setup the basic crap so it would look 'normal', I'd have to give the GUI side a 5 of 10, just didn't see anything to innovative going on, the fading in of menus got really annoying too. Overall, just like the previous versions, it gets another reluctant thumbs up, it does what its supposed to do, so far.

-Cruz Cranford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 08:03 AM
Warden

Acutally, it will take alot longer than an hour to put all the updates on. There are a ton of updates required, especially if you are doing office as well. And just when you think you got all the updates done, you have to install more updates to fix problems with the previous updates.

You must get SR1 on ASAP, XP has alot of issues without it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 09:52 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

I've not been too too impressed with XP/Pro. Seriously considering going back to 2000 until the next major SP.

This is the first O/S that has blue screened me since I switch over to the NT track. Also, IE/XP has some issues, so if you use IE (lol for AbecX), make sure you get the latest and greatest of IE.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 06:00 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Re: I installed WinXP for the first time....

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
Not to bad, the install took FOREVER, probably 2 hours+. 733 p3 w/ 256 mb of ram, on a 40gb 7200rpm drive ( brand new, never been touched ), Intel mobo ( IAC820? ) 20x cdrom.

Like most new installs of Windows, it runs pretty darn fast, only time will till if it keeps up at this speed. It only has Diablo II installed w/ expansion pack for now, it'll receive the normal stuff, aim, yahoo!, and the office suite, as well as kazaa lite, putty, and divx, that's it off the top of my head.

Pros:
1. Runs pretty fast.
2. The output on the LCD is really..... CLEAR. :thumbs up:
3. The new sounds dont piss me off as much as the old ones.
4. Nice new entrance theme.
5. Runs Diablo II w/ LOD expansion nicely.

Cons:
1. I need to run all the updates, it'll probably take another hour.
2. WTF is up with all the kindergarden GUI default crap.
3. Seriously, how many freaking user 'help' programs need to load up on first boot.
4. LMAO at the recycle bin in the bottom right, Got Mac?
5. NTFS took way to long to format.
6. It took to long to figure out where My Computer went and how to get it back.

Will I be converting to a Windows only world again? Defiantly not. The one main thing that really got on my nerves was more of the same from previous versions, did they add any new features to this thing besides stability and bug enhancements? I feel like I'm running a kid version of Win2k w/ new GUI service packs...

If I were to rate my experience, I'd probably give a 7 of 10 on the install, it went through without a hitch, but took WAY to long. The initial bootup was annoying, and it took probably 20 minutes to setup the basic crap so it would look 'normal', I'd have to give the GUI side a 5 of 10, just didn't see anything to innovative going on, the fading in of menus got really annoying too. Overall, just like the previous versions, it gets another reluctant thumbs up, it does what its supposed to do, so far.

-Cruz Cranford
Yikes... that's an unusually long install, in my experience. It's never taken me more than an hour, except on the HP laptop (Celeron 500 / 64mb ram / 5GB hdd), took about 2 hours. Did you not do the quick format option? Quick format is the goodness

Updates will take a while. I just set up my HEC computer with all updates, minus SP1 due to it running the Corp version. Took about 45 minutes. On my laptop, SP1 took about an hour and a half by itself. Now ... I'm not sure if that's accurate, because I did the install from the full download of SP1, not from the online install, which when I checked it out, only claimed to need 30 megs, while the full download is something like 130 - 170 megs.

The new GUI is kinda sad The silver one isn't too bad, and there's some pretty slick ones you can download at http://www.themexp.org ... and I'm contemplating trying out LiteStep. But making it the same as the standard look is as simple as:

1:
2:
3:

1 and 2 will get you the 2000 look, with the XP added fading menus, menu shadows, transparent selection rectangle, etc. In 3, if you set to "Best Performance", then it looks like 98, with no shadows, no fading, no sliding, etc. "Best Appearance" will bring you back to the XP Default look (on a side note, you could just go in to System Properties from the onset, and click on "Best Performance"). If you set to "Let Windows Choose", it will enable / disable based on cpu and memory usage (but it will keep the XP Default GUI, regardless). I choose "Custom", and keep some of the new graphic enhancements, while dumping others.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 02:55 AM
11-05-09

Personally, I think XP is the best Windows OS so far. I like everything about it. I dunno, I guess it's just me.

I also have cool desktop themes for it, and they rule.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 10:27 AM
IA2

LOL @ Cruz's multi-megabyte-hourly XP install

<--remembers installing windows using a couple of 5.25 diskettes
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

I still have all 13 of my Win95 3.5" Floppies.

The reason I did the normal format was because it was a brand new drive, you would think Microsoft in their infinte knowledge would do quick automatically, and prompt you otherwise if you had to do the long format. Oh wait, that would actually make sense.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 11:58 AM

Damn I've installed XP Pro on 2 drives and they only took about 45 minutes each. I like it once you change the display to classic. I had to do a bunch of updates as well but they didn't seem to take too long at a 2mbit download rate. Is this your gaming machine Cruz?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

I guess you can call it my 'gaming box', I still play tribes 2, q3, and SOF on the linux box though Just diablo and kazaa on windows.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 01:40 PM

That's what I figured.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 04:37 PM

hmmm... as far as new feautres, one i really like and has saved me a bunch of times is the systems restore (Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools). the ability to have multiple users logged on at the same time is nice. remote desktop connections is great too. xp is SUPPOSED to run faster, ive noticed it on some machines. not quite noticeable once you get up into the Ghz ranges though. xp also has a built in firewall. all in all, i like it. only thing i hate is the updates when you do a fresh install, they take forever.

anyone know how to make and ISO image that will automatically install SP1?

also, dark wolf: PM me and i can help you put in another serial number that works for SP1 :-d
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 05:47 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I may do that. I've tried a couple of the "fixes" out there, and each one results in the machine reminding me that I need to activate. So I have to change it back, and everything's golden again. If you got one that doesn't make me activate it, sign me up!

Cruz, for my HEC Computer, it was on a brand new drive too, and I just created the partitions through XP, and did the quick format. Did quick not come up as an option for you, or were you just hitting enter until it started doing something

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement